synning honemade seitan

nettleboo

Hello all im wondering if anyone else doesnt syn homemade seitan? Ive made some without oil/fat and all other ingredients are free. My arguement for not synning is that quorn is free as is mock duck and im not sure what is in them. Plus its a fantastic protein source what does everyone else do?

I've synned it at 3 syns per 100g I think

I ran it through the syns calculator selecting veggie protein as free food but it was a while ago.

I'll see if I can find my workings out

My method involved wheat gluten and a tin of beans

Here ya go

I have worked out the gluten syns using this data

http://www.nutritionvalue.org/Vital_wheat_gluten_nutritional_value.html
And basically I entered a few food allowance on green on vegetarian food - dried then added all the info so

Per 100 g
370 cals
14 g carbs
75 g protein
1.9 g fat

And got per 100 g 2.5 syns !!! So I used 250 g which is only 7.5 syns

Engivita is on syns online and that is 5.5 syns for 30 g and I used 25 g

Which means it is only 12 syns plus a desert spoon of oil 4 syns ?? and a squodge of sweet chilli sauce 2 syns ??

Which means a total of 18 to 20 syns for the whole thing which is a lot less then you thought which is fab news and explains why the mock duck is free

But Barbette doesn't syn hers

This is the recipe I used but I know I tweaked it a bit

Sorry its in American measurements
1/2 cup cooked or canned, drained and rinsed white beans - I used 1 tin
1/4 cup soya sauce (way too much imo, half that was more than enough)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 cups veg stock - I used the veg knorr gel stock
2 cups wheat gluten flour - I did 250 g
1/3 cup nutritional yeast - I did 40 I think
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt (I leave out with it having the soy sauce
Preheat oven to 350oc (about 175oc).
Blend the beans, soy sauce, oil and stock until smooth.
In a large bowl add all dry ingredients and mix. Stir in the above liquid and knead for 3 minutes.
Shape into oval loaf.
Place the loaf on a oiled sheet of foil and wrap. Place in a baking tin with a inch of water and cover the whole tin with foil.
Bake until firm around 1 hour 45.I generally add a lot more seasoning and just use whatever I fancy, quite often I use a fair amount of dried rosemary.
I usually use the full tin of beans too as it makes up for less of the soy sauce. Its really great for freezing in little chunks too.

She says any tin of white beans will do

I also left out the herbs and added a squodge of sweet chilli sauce

How do you do yours ?

Mine was an trial misson today.
so i used the smallest cup of my vita blend measured 1 1/2 cup wheat gluten then too that i added 1 tbsp of bouillion 1 tbsp of worcester sauce vegan. 1 tbsp of mixed herbs 1 tsp of onion granules 1 tsp if garlic granules 1tsp of smokedpaprika 1tbsp of tom puree black pepper. Then in the small cup i blended 1 red onion half a red pepper 1 stick of celery 2 garlic cloves 2 mushrooms 5 baby plum toms this was my liquid. Kneaded for a bit wrapped in cheese cloth and steamed for 45 mins. Unwrapped while hot and left too cool. Outside went kinda crisp and was sliceable. I need too adjust spices needs a bit more something. Ive only ever made this before by simmering in stock so this is all new too me this way

hello jaffa that sounds good though i do want a pressure cooker i dont know how too use one lol. as a veggie i use alot of pulses and beans and so im lead too believe pressure cookers will halve the cooking time. give it a go could be amazing. and a vita blend is just a food blender with different size attachments you can add like a nutri bullet but loads cheaper

Yes we have one of them as well

In fact you name the gadget we have it !!!

I am a pesce as I eat a little fish but I don't eat meat poultry shellfish gelatine etc.

Our slow cooker broke so we got a combined pressure cooker and slow cooker instead but I've not used it I leave that to.my husband !

that sounds good do you mind telling me the brand of the cooker so i can have a look at it? when i first went vegetarian i did eat fish but i dont now and ive tried vegan a bit too but i always settle back too veggie as i miss cheese and chocolate and crispy things lol no wonder i need slimming world.

Back