Syns VS Calories

I'm sorry if anyone has posted something like this before but I'm a bit confused :S (apologies if this post is in the wrong place)

I've hit my 15.5 syns today already:

Breakfast: 40g dorset fruity museli (HexB) semi skimmed (HexA)
Lunch: Carrot sticks, homemade soup (butternut squash and leek) 40g white baguette 6 syns, 1 tsp butter 2 syns, M&S count on us dessert 7.5 syns
=15.5 syns

However, I'm calorie counting as well and I've only reached 652.

Has anyone else found this issue or have I just done something plain wrong??

have I just done something plain wrong??

The only thing you have done wrong is count calories. There is NO need to whatsoever with Slimming World, that's not how it works. Just stick to the plan and you'll be fine.

I initially did what you are doing and found that it became complicated and confusing. I now just try to eat non syn foods as much as possible. You can make syn free scones to go with your soup. I then may, only if I need to, have a packet or crisps or something at the end of the day. It's less of a struggle and I have lost 9lb in two weeks doing this. Also, there are LOADS of sweet and satisfying low syn treats on the slimming world website. I have found that the syn and calorie thing does not work when comparatively. They are totally different. Hope this helps.

I agree with Princess Stevie, the two things aren't compatible, though they both work if done sensibly, just a bad idea to mix the two. Calories take no account of how filling something is and how many of your nutritional needs are being met, which are key factors that go into working out the syn value of foods on the SW plan. SW is meant to be a healthy eating plan, with calorie counting you could use your daily calorie allowance eating only crisps and chocolate, you might lose weight but it wouldn't do your overall health any good.

I'm not intending to mix the two plans. To be honest I just decided to count my food diary one day as I was concerned I was getting way too many calories. In fact, I'd actually ended up having under 1000 which alarmed me as I know you aren't supposed to have so few! I'm sticking with slimming world and all the sw recipies but was just curious to see if anyone else had spotted something similar. Thank you all for your advice :)

I'm sorry if anyone has posted something like this before but I'm a bit confused :S (apologies if this post is in the wrong place)

I've hit my 15.5 syns today already:

Breakfast: 40g dorset fruity museli (HexB) semi skimmed (HexA)
Lunch: Carrot sticks, homemade soup (butternut squash and leek) 40g white baguette 6 syns, 1 tsp butter 2 syns, M&S count on us dessert 7.5 syns
=15.5 syns

However, I'm calorie counting as well and I've only reached 652.

Has anyone else found this issue or have I just done something plain wrong??

While SW is a calorie controlled diet (any weight loss plan is essentially), as said there is no need to count them. But what I think you doing wrong is focussing on your syns so much. The majority of your food (and therefore calories) should come from free foods, closely followed by superfree foods. So build your meals around free foods instead of syns, don't be afraid to fill your plate - that's the beauty of Slimming World. Then you will not be using all your syns so early in the day :)

Back