Taster evenings?

The Caretaker

Silver Member
What do you take to a taster evening? And also how much? Is it finger food ? Will there be forks do you take them? HELP!:confused: :eek:

It can be finger food but the consultant will usually provide plastic cutlery. If you nip over to the recipe section and do a search for the word "taster" you will find loads of threads full of good ideas for what to take - enjoy :)

My Consultant always provides the cutlery for our taster nights, as long as you keep whatever you take low syn/free you will be fine. Some that dont have time to cook or make anything usually bring fruit or drinks like diet coke or no added sugar juices.

Were having one this week and im taking devilled eggs im boiling 12 eggs which will make 24 devilled ones when cut in half

i had a taster last week ... i took my homemade syn free pate and homemade syn free chutney and halved some ryvitas to put it on other people took these syn free delights .... falafels, homemade chicken tikka, scan bran meatloaf, curried chickpea loaf, cous cous, quorn curry, mushy pea curry, low syn buns, syn free dips , low syn trifles, salads all in all it was a good buffet

i had a taster last week ... i took my homemade syn free pate and homemade syn free chutney and halved some ryvitas to put it on other people took these syn free delights .... falafels, homemade chicken tikka, scan bran meatloaf, curried chickpea loaf, cous cous, quorn curry, mushy pea curry, low syn buns, syn free dips , low syn trifles, salads all in all it was a good buffet

I want to join your group! All sound delicious! Could you put on you pate and chutney recipes please?

I want to join your group! All sound delicious! Could you put on you pate and chutney recipes please?

chutney

5 lb sliced onions
1litre balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp mustard powder
1 carton passata
4 cups of sweetener
salt and pepper
simmer all for 1-2 hrs until its thick stirring occasionally then put in steralized jars (makes loads)

syn free pate

1 onion chopped and sweated down with a little water
1x pack chicken livers
2 cloves of garlic chopped
fresh rosemary few sprigs chopped
1 clove of garlic whole
frylite
couple of blobs of quark

sweat onions and transfer to blender
fry chicken livers in the chopped garlic rosemary and frylite (add lean bacon too if you like)
add livers to onions in blender add fresh garlic and quark and blitz season to taste with s and p
then put in a dish and refrigerate to set

Last edited:
Thank you! Really misses chutney since starting slimming world and Love pâté! Deffo be trying these! Thank you x

chutney

5 lb sliced onions
1litre balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp mustard powder
4 cups of sweetener
salt and pepper
simmer all for 1-2 hrs until its thick stirring occasionally then put in steralized jars (makes loads)

Have you made this adding other veg? Thinking tomatoes as I do like onions but not on their own and I love chutney and pickles, especially picalilli but always have to "pay" for it in Syns.

Have you made this adding other veg? Thinking tomatoes as I do like onions but not on their own and I love chutney and pickles, especially picalilli but always have to "pay" for it in Syns.

Oh and i forgot a carton of passata ..... Dont forget to put that in :/
Not made any other but got a picalilly recipe to try soon

Oh and i forgot a carton of passata ..... Dont forget to put that in :/
Not made any other but got a picalilly recipe to try soon

Altered my recipe :) Looking forward to the piccalilli recipe - I sometimes make "ordinary" one but it has 60gms cornflour in it = 15syns and loads of sugar but it is that long since I made it can't remember how many jars it made but would be less syns per tbsp than bought stuff if I replace it with sweetener now that I know it will work.

Does it taste nice with sweetner though? I hate artificial ones and only use stevia, but i don't cook with it and just syn the sugar as its much nicer - but I haven't tried to make any jams/chutneys with stevia yet.

I am dreading jam season, I make jams by the boxload and I'm always tasting :/

Does it taste nice with sweetner though? I hate artificial ones and only use stevia, but i don't cook with it and just syn the sugar as its much nicer - but I haven't tried to make any jams/chutneys with stevia yet.

I am dreading jam season, I make jams by the boxload and I'm always tasting :/

i like my chutney i only use sucralose based sweeteners in mine as they dont contain the dreaded aspartime and cook really well

Oh right what are those ones then? might have to look into them but i feel funny using them cos of the chems and stuff in them. plus some of them taste horrible and sugar isn't that high in syns really

Oh right what are those ones then? might have to look into them but i feel funny using them cos of the chems and stuff in them. plus some of them taste horrible and sugar isn't that high in syns really

If you look on the sweetener it says either aspartime or sucralose on ingredients list i dont use any aspartime as it gives me migranes i even make sure my cordials and fizzy drinks are sucralose ones

Back