Teenagers! LOL

Mrs Depp

Gold Member
Took my 14 yr old son to school this morning and had to stifle a laugh when we drove into the entrance, but not in a nasty way, you understand! :D It's Mufty Day today and as us mum's know it's their favourite day because they don't have to conform and wear their boring uniforms. :D

So what did I see that made me smile? Oooh where do I begin! lol :D There was a group of about 5 girls all dressed in their pyjamas tucked into their ugg-type boots! Their hair all tied up for bed and a couple of them had sleep masks on top of their heads too. :rolleyes::D

Turn the corner of the car park and you see another gaggle of girls (4 to be exact) wearing emo-type clothes, hooded stripey tops, skinny jeans, pumps and a brightly coloured tutu!!! :eek::D One each in black, pink, red and purple. :D:D

As usual the boys made a great effort to pick out their best tracksuits and trainers or jeans lol! :rolleyes: My dear son wore his jeans and a black/grey stripey hoodie (that's adventurous for him! lol)

I'd love to have been in the morning assembly looking at all those teenagers with their different styles. :D Each to their own, I say, some of the girls look fantastic and I wish I'd had the courage when I was their age! :D:D

Its a girly thing I think, my boys were always like your son; sounds like a lot of fun.

my daughter has mufti today & came home yesterday wanting a new top. I said you have plenty, she sulks (there's a surprise) a few q's later it emerges, all her "group" of girls are wearing tight jeans, ugg boots & baby pink t-shirts, of which she doesn't have one - oh dear. Lucky we found one for £3.99 in Select, otherwise i'd have been the wicked mum :eek:
xx

I guess that mufti is non uniform day, but what does is stand for?

We just call it wear your own clothes day or non uniform day!

I do remember once in primary school when it was a "come as you please" - as we called it - and the teachers all turned up dressed as school pupils.

Must have only been about 7 but I remember it quite clearly.

Does make me giggle though how they think they are being different but are in fact all being the same!

My 14 year old has two birthday dinners this weekend - apparently this is what they do now so not only do we have to buy a present we have to buy them dinner too!! baah humbug!

Lol @ your daughter Pandora, I'm suprised that they all don't have the exact same pink t-shirts and uggs! :D

I've never understood where Mufti comes from either, maybe it's just a 'Northern' thing? :confused:

Birthday dinners? :eek: OMG I can just imagine my 7yr old asking me to do one for her next birthday lol! She can be precocious sometimes lol! :D:D

I've never understood where Mufti comes from either, maybe it's just a 'Northern' thing? :confused:

:D:D
dunno Carol, can't get more southern than Bournemouth * i've allways known it as mufti !
I googled "mufti" & apart from being an Islamic scholar, its the wearing of civilian clothes by those entitled to wear millitary clothes ie squaddies, sailors etc
xx

We had Mufti Day every year at High school tp raise money for the childrens hospital across the road. We dressed up (i went as a tree on year) and everyone made a huge effort. The week before was fabulous as well. We auctioned off a bunch of teachers for the day. Groups of people would spend say $100 to own the teacher for the day. On Mufti Day they were able to dress them us as a woman (if a Man) and in somecases shave heads....all had to be oked by the teacher but mostly everyone participated. There was a big concert on in the afternooon (normal classes till then) and icecream vans and food stalls for Lunch made by the home economics students.

Needless to say i loved it!

Taz x

The 'mufti' day dates back to the 1970s, when schools introduced charitable 'Wear what you want days' as a change from sponsored walks and fetes worse than death.
'Mufti days' are found in Australia, New Zealand and the Far East.
"Mufti Day is so named," it said, "because it was inspired by the practice of General Mufti, who found that sagging morale in the British Army was boosted by the policy of allowing the men to wear civilian clothing instead of uniforms on certain days of the year."

Found this on the net, still never heard of mufti day though! :)

Lol The more I read the word mufti the more it makes me smile! :D

It sounds like the type of word that could be used to replace another one - "Look at the size of that mufti!" "She wore a lovely hat with a matching mufti!" "I had to take the dog to the vets, he had a mufti!" And my favourite, "Ooh my mufti is killing me!" :D:D:D

See where I live the term "muff" can mean a ladies...erm...bits!!!

So a mufti day makes me laugh quite a bit!

See where I live the term "muff" can mean a ladies...erm...bits!!!

It has the same meaning in the Midlands too! :D

Perhaps that is why we stick with non uniform day!

Where I'm from, 'Mufti' is a word for your fanjo!!

Lol The more I read the word mufti the more it makes me smile! :D

It sounds like the type of word that could be used to replace another one - "Look at the size of that mufti!" "She wore a lovely hat with a matching mufti!" "I had to take the dog to the vets, he had a mufti!" And my favourite, "Ooh my mufti is killing me!" :D:D:D

:rotflmao:

thats a good one!

we had mufti here too.

Back