Terrible doctor

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by ransch, 11 July 2011 Social URL.

1. ransch

ransch Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(13.16%)
    Diet:
    Atkins (after leaving Dukan)
    Last Thursday morning I had an appointment with my doctor who gave me results of a blood test I had done before starting on a low carb diet when I was 10kg heavier. She told me it looked as if I have an insulin problem and am on the way to being a type II diabetic. When I asked her to repeat the test as I had lost 10 kg through Atkins, she turned really nasty and said it was a false loss which I would most certainly put on again with extra to boot. She then basically ordered me to adopt a low fat, high carb diet if I wanted to live. AND she noted it down on my medical record so I'm not sure if the insurance will cover any future problems relating to this if I continue to tell her I'm low carbing. :cry: What a bummer. :sigh:

We were in London over the weekend and I've just got back. Basically I ate whatever I wanted- (Pret sandwiches are so good) and I feel really bloated now with problems with my ankles which I haven't had for ages. So low carb does work for me. Perhaps I should tell my doctor that I am following her recommendations but carry on with Atkins? :confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    Your doctor needs a kick in the pants! I am diabetic and am more controlled on Atkins than I have ever been. My Doctor is overjoyed. :)

4. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Change doctor. Fair enough i might say ive cut sugar and carbs rather than atkins but that response is unreasonable!
    ((hugs))

5. debpet

debpet Member

Hi Ransch, so sorry to hear about the terrible way you were treated by this awful doctor.
    I am a type 2 diabetic and eating a low carb diet lowers my blood glucose readings so for me there is no other way.
    - You could try printing out relevant research on the subject and showing him/her.
    - Write a letter of complaint about the way you were treated to the Practice Manager.
    Write a letter of complaint to your local PCT (Primary Care Trust) number in phone book
    - Change Doctors after complaing in writing.
    Best wishes with this and please keep us up to date, Debra x

6. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
    Yes I agree - change doctors, hun - you don't need that rubbish - especially when you have people with diabetes here who have tried low carb and found it worked for them. Ohhhh big hugs, raspberries to your rotten doctor xxxx

7. Evy_Starlight

Evy_Starlight Likes to run

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st12.5lb(22.52%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counter
    Change doctor, she sounds blimmin' awful! Low carb diets are definitely safe if you know what you're doing (which you do) so she's obviously just biased or clueless. In fact a high carb, low fat can be just as dangerous if not done right either! xx

8. Katesands8

Katesands8 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st0.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.63%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers Pro Points
    There's that new research out recently that said if you had 2 months on something like the atkins and very low cal you could reverse the diabetes! Maybe you should take that in on your next visit!

9. mustdoit

mustdoit susan

Diet:
    atkins
    they need educating !!!xx

10. tazbabe

tazbabe Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(12.39%)
    Diet:
    atkins
    steve is diabetic, and following atkins has improved his GR incredibly!

his gp had the opposite reaction to yours, she is delighted with him!

11. ransch

ransch Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(13.16%)
    Diet:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The thing is that here in Germany it isn't so easy to change doctors as everything depends on the health insurance scheme you have. Private and the world's your oyster, public and you're just a number. Mine is public as it's about £200 cheaper a month!!!!!

I think I'm going to take a combination of the advice offered and do strict Atkins for 2 months before I go to the doctors again for a glucose test (?) to see if I do have problems with insulin. Hopefully the results will speak for themselves!!!

12. brianrob1961

brianrob1961 Member

Basically, your health is the priority here. All the evidence points to Atkins being both a prevention and a cure - in some cases - for all sorts of ills, including diabetes. Your doctor is an arse and should be treated as such.

Brian.

13. ransch

ransch Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(13.16%)
    Diet:

I do like a man who doesn't mince his words! :D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.