Thai curry - coconut milk substitute?

Discussion in 'Slimming World Recipes' started by Metermaid, 26 February 2009.

1. Metermaid

Metermaid Well-Known Member

I adore thai red and green curries, but I've just checked on the SW site and a tin of coconut milk is 39 syns!, even if I split into 4 meals, that's alot of syns.

Does anyone have any thai curry recipe suggestions please with a replacement for the coconut milk?

TIA MM
  2. ronniejacobs

ronniejacobs Well-Known Member

i use the blue dragon low fat coconut milk which is 18 syns for the tin and then split it between 4 its much better hon
  3. Metermaid

Oooh I didn't know they did one - thanks for that, I'm soooooo looking forward to a thai now!!
  4. stephie0611

stephie0611 needs to focus!!!!

there is a green thai curry recipe in the magazine this month. I made it for me and my OH and it was very tasty.
  5. Metermaid

Ooh, sounds good - thanks :)
  6. stephie0611

stephie0611 needs to focus!!!!

hope you enjoy it as much as we did :).
  7. vici

vici Active Member

I haven't tried this yet, but I read a thread on another forum where people (one of them was actually Thai and says her family cannot tell the difference...) use soya milk + coconut essence instead of cocount milk. You can use this as a HEx A and not even count the syns :)
    cocktailprincess likes this.
  8. Metermaid

What a great idea - especially syn free! - thank you
  9. frugal fifer

frugal fifer Well-Known Member

what a good idea, do you know where she got the coconut essence?
  10. vici

vici Active Member

Oops - sorry. Only just seen this.

Coconut essence is really hard to find! I ended up ordering it online from Jane Asher Party Cakes. See link:

JANE ASHER Party Cakes | Edibles - Flavourings | Coconut

It's quite expensive, but the bottle will last you years (any more than 1 drop of the stuff is overpowering...!)

11. PandaGirl

PandaGirl ALMOST NORMAL!!!

I love thai curries so this will come in handy. Thanx hun x
  12. Liannioso

Liannioso Well-Known Member

Does anybody have that recipe? Sounds great!
  13. hels123smiles

hels123smiles Well-Known Member

I have been searching for some of this for about a year now LOL! When I add it to my basket on the JA site it wont add :-( Does anyone know where I can get any???? Help!!!!!!
  14. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

I managed to add it my basket but I had to go to the homepage and then navigate back to the flavourings page. Give that a try and see if it works for you too.

Or it's also available here although given the price it's not likely to be the same quality flavouring as the JA one.

COCONUT ESSENCE | Buy Coconut Essence & more!
  15. BritMumInCanada

BritMumInCanada Well-Known Member

I use skimmed milk and coconut essence. But almond milk is meant to work quite well also.
  16. Emma75

Emma75 Well-Known Member

Syn free Thai curry????

SW just became the perfect diet! :D
  17. Emma75

Emma75 Well-Known Member

Try Ebay for coconut essence! £1.55!
  18. Emma75

Emma75 Well-Known Member

Oh, he also sells pear, lemon, mango, banana, cherry, raspberry, pineapple and more flavourings! What can we make, I wonder????
  19. Emma75

Emma75 Well-Known Member

I was just flicking though my book and discovered that canned cononut milk is high in syns, but FRESH coconut milk has less syns than skimmed milk!

Does that mean we could use fresh coconut milk as a HE????????????
  20. Debs154

Debs154 Trying again!!

I love this site - I have been looking for cococnut essence for ages!