Thailand on SW

Toots

Gold Member
Off on my jollies soon and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on attempting to follow SW philosophy in Thailand.

I am new to SW and so am just figuring things out but don't want to lose momentum

I think I could get away with a fruit salad for breakfast in the hotal but then after that is anyone's guess. I'm a bugger for hawker stalls and trying local foods wherever I am and don't really want to miss out on these experiences - just want to be a little more savvy about it. (I want the proverbial cake don't I? :eek:) My saving grace on holiday is that I'll probably be walking for at least 6-8 hours a day

Thanks
xx

Someone I know went to Thailand for three weeks just after reaching her target, and came back lighter! She ate lots of rice and noodles, which is apparently the staple diet over there.

I'm sure all the walking will help burn off any extra energy you take in. :)

That's reassuring to know - thanks!!

xx

It's a very healthy diet, I wouldn't be worried if you're doing that much walking. The only thing (apart from oil) that has heavy syns is coconut milk, (yum!) And you know that you MUST have your syns! Lucky you! Tell us all about it when you get back.

I'd enjoy it and not worry at all. My perception of the diet there is that it is far healthier than food here. Plus you are going to be walking lots.

And like you said, you want to enjoy the whole experience as fully as possible. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks everyone - you're all right, was just starting to panic as I have found something that is working for me (that involves actually eating) and I don't want to blow it.

Yup - it was the hidden extra like coconut milk that I was concerned about but the reason I chose SW was because it is not a diet but a "lifestyle choice" so I'm trying not going to get anal about it!!

I know what you mean about the naturally healthy asian diet - most of the girls make Kate Moss look not so tiny!!

xx

Hi Mate

I am so jealous- I LOVE Thai food. This is from the SW website. It is to do with going to Thai restaurants- I know it won't be exactly the same but it may give you an idea:

• Starters orders – rather than deep fried, pastry-packaged spring rolls and samosas, broths such as Poh taek (mixed seafood soup) are a fantastic Original choice. Som Tum (spicy vegetable salad) is hot stuff for a Green choice.
  • Main event– green or red curry are the most well-known Thai dishes, (with those names you’d think they’d be Food Optimising-friendly!) However, the dishes are made with rich Syn-filled sauces. Healthier menu items include fish and meat that are described as steamed or grilled. These include Hor neung mok pla (hot & sour steamed fish) this tastes and looks pretty impressive – packaged in a banana leaf! Pat gaprao gai (minced chicken with chillies and lime leaves) is another of the healthier Original options. Although it’s a stir-fry dish, it’s made up of Free basic ingredients and there’s no creamy sauce. For a Green choice, pad thai jay is a veggie version of the classic stir fried noodle dish (although the Syns in the oil will need to be taken into account). Khao Suey (Thai fragrant rice) is delicately flavoured steamed rice and gorgeous for a Green day.
Have a lovely time

xxx

Toots - I've just come back (well 2 weeks ago) from Thailand and I only put on 2.5lbs :D

I'm putting that down to all the singha beer I drank!!

The food is grand, stick to noodle based dishes as they tend not to have coconut milk in them. Spicy beef salad is one of my faves too!

The hawkers are great too, most of it is roasted meat and you can just point to what you want in stuff & they just make it up for you!

You will have the best time - all the walking you will do will help too. Plus if the weather is anything like what we had, you will be sweating like crazy so will drink a tonne of water, which will keep you flushed out too!

Have fun!!

Well not ebing funny but I was in Thailand for 3 weeks last year and lost 5 lbs just eating normally. You sweat alot, drink alot of water......

But the food....... lots of fruit and veg. And most meals are rice, meat and veg.

No trans or sat fats.

i wouldnt worry about it, as mentioned the staple is pretty much healthy food, rice, noodles, veg and fruit. you cant go far wrong other than drinking alcohol. just go out enjoy yourself and get back on track when you get home

Hawkers!!!!!! cheap and wonderful food - please, please, please try some chilli crab!

In terms of healthy dishes there is a plethora of seafood and chicken dishes available that are SW friendly, for example, steamed fish wrapped in a pandan leaf is a lovely dish served with rice or noodles.

Thai salads and soups are fab as well.

The only thing to avoid as others have said are the coconut milk based dishes such as the green/red curries but you could count these as syns.

Finally, Pad Thai is an absolute staple and uber filling.

Enjoy xx

The best thing you can possibly have is a dish you only find on the street. I dont know how many people this has passed through but a friend got it from a friend who got it from a friend. Anyway order a dish from the street vendors. Phonetically its pronounced.

Ka-pow moo ky dow (BTW pow and dow are pronounced like 'how')

Just order that shizzle up. AMAZING!

Have a great time! I was there a few years ago in Bangkok and Koh Samui, & as everyone is saying... lots of rice and noodles and water!

I do remember in Bangkok the street sellers at night giving out fried worms :D
Mmmm nice!

Toots - I've just come back (well 2 weeks ago) from Thailand and I only put on 2.5lbs :D

I'm putting that down to all the singha beer I drank!!

The food is grand, stick to noodle based dishes as they tend not to have coconut milk in them. Spicy beef salad is one of my faves too!

The hawkers are great too, most of it is roasted meat and you can just point to what you want in stuff & they just make it up for you!

You will have the best time - all the walking you will do will help too. Plus if the weather is anything like what we had, you will be sweating like crazy so will drink a tonne of water, which will keep you flushed out too!

Have fun!!

Out of interest where did you go? WE're planning a trip in 2011 so i'm info gathering!

Thanks everyone - really good suggestions!! Forgot about all the amazing options. Spicy mango salad ....:drool:

So.........locusts - would they be free on a red day? :p

xx

Back