The beginning...a good place to start!

Flicktheswitch!

Hiya ladies,

My name is Alison. I found this forum last night and it has given me a lot of hope. I have battled with my weight for as long as I can remember, and life's events have made the battle harder. I know I'm not alone when I say that I have issues with food and have compulsions to eat that sabotage my efforts of becoming a healthy weight.

I'm really disappointed in myself. 6 years ago I was over 21 stone. In 4 years I lost 9.5 stone with slimming world (+ the right mind set, + lots of determination) so I know I can do it. In the meantime my marriage broke down, I got divorced, became a single mother of 3 young children, relocated 140 miles away, became a student nurse, and have now met someone lovely who lives with me and the children.

I have regained over 5 stone :,( I keep making attempts to take control and lose the weight but fail, the more times I fail the harder it becomes. I have joined a gym, found a local slimming world group and bought a countdown (never returned again) I have tried the paul McKenna hypno gastric band (ended up eating more) and have ended up just getting heavier ad heavier. At the moment I am in a phase of baking like a crazy woman.

I'm a student mental health nurse. I know my compulsions are driven by me trying to self Medicate, that there is a reason for the self sabotage....but knowing this isn't stopping it.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the self indulgent self pity in this post, I just needed to get it out ad felt that I wanted to be honest about who I am.

On a positive note, there's a braised steak casserole in the oven (no flour or oil And extra veg) and a large pot of super speed soup on the stove.

I have read some of your posts and feel inspired And hopefull that I might find some friendly support here too.

I'm currently 17 stone 10....there I said it :,(

Alison xx

Last edited:
Just had the super speed soup for lunch. Really enjoyed it. Have drank 2 large glasses of water today too so far.

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow night. I'm struggling a lot lately, my weight being quite a large part of my problem. I am going to try and discuss this with my doctor. I don't want tablets or anything. I'm thinking perhaps a referral for cognitive behavioural therapy may help? Has anyone any experienced cbt?

It's nice to have somewhere I can come and talk about these things.

hi alison
welcome to the forum you have come on told us your weight and thats the first steps to the new you it is hard and everyone body on here will support you we have a xmas challenge team 50 i will put a thread on for you join its fun it does not matter if we do not reach the 50lbs we tried and we made loads of friends on the way but hey wouldnt it be great if we can

good luck xx

ok hun and good luck with your journey

Back