The dangers of chatrooms

Witchypoo

One of my best friends, in real life and well as on the internet, has been on a meal replacement diet for a couple of weeks & is doing amazingly well.
It turns out that her trigger was another poster on this chatroom (Not Minimins!) had PM'ed her using a false name & really insulted her, calling her a 'fat ugly baggy eyed ****'! :mad:
She is anything but, and she's one of the nicest people you could ever meet.
She handled it a lot better than most of us could & has turned it into a positive, and is now looking & feeling like a new woman.
She's kept it to herself until today, when she posted about it, and what's got everyone on the board mad is that the coward used a false name. They didn't even have the courage to use their own name.:mad:
So now everyone is trying to find out who it was, to at the least put them on ignore. My friends asked that they don't get banned! She's a lot more forgiving than I would be.
But what would something like this do to you?
I know it would send me back into a spiral of depression. I'm just not strong enough to handle such a nasty uncalled for personal attack.

That's awful but at least she has not let it put her off as I'm sure everyone will agree there is alot more positives to be found on support groups than the odd idiot who behave's like a coward and insults others. I hope she does really well.

I get this alot on other forums but i haven't had it on this one
its sad people who have nothing better to do with their time than go on forums and abuse people i say ignore them they want people to get up in arms about it. Its horrible for your friend but i am afraid that it happens loads on forums

Very shocking indeed. Thank goodness we have such a supportive and well moderated Minimins at our disposal.
This is the only site that I have had any experience of, maybe that is why I find it hard to comprehend why a minority behave so unkindly.
But glad that this lady is ok and done so well with dieting.

I think the reason the people on here are genuine and that there are no trolls is the permission system, to view profiles you have to post 50 times, thats far too much effort for a troll. They dont get their kicks so dont hang about. It frustrated me at first but it makes it a friendlier site and only the people genuinely interested in weight loss remain. Waffle but I'm sure you get my drift!

I think the reason the people on here are genuine and that there are no trolls is the permission system, to view profiles you have to post 50 times, thats far too much effort for a troll. They dont get their kicks so dont hang about. It frustrated me at first but it makes it a friendlier site and only the people genuinely interested in weight loss remain. Waffle but I'm sure you get my drift!

soooo true !

Yes it's true, up to a point. The chatroom she was on (& I use everyday) is run on similar lines, just not quite so tightly moderated. And you do have to build up a history before you can PM people. Add to that we have meet-ups all over the world with the members. So there is a very good chance that she has met this person face to face. If she hasn't then I probably have.:mad:
That is most likely why they used a false name. But with the way the 'storm' is gathering it wont be too long before the culprit is outed.

I hope you get it all sorted it a horrible situation

Hi Witchypoo, Firstly sorry to hear about your friends bad experience in a chatroom. You are very right to point out that there can be real dangers of chat rooms - especially if you actively plan to have "meet ups". Although I do not agree with the comments that were made to you, by who seems a real coward - why are you continuing to get outraged by it? The fact is, there are some very sad people out there who have nothing better to do than pick fault with other people's insecurities - probably the main reason this person is on a chat room because 'real' friends are highly unlikely to exist! I wouldn't get yourself in such a fury over it hun - life is too short to allow mindless individuals upset you. Hugs x x x

Back