The delicious tofu recipe thread

I've seen a few threads here discussing tofu - how horrid it is and asking for decent recipes. Tofu is brilliant for those who don't like eggs much and is a great source of protein, so it fills you up. I think that a lot of people aren't aware that you need to drain and press firm tofu to get the liquid out before using it, so make sure that if you're using firm tofu (brands include Cauldron, Clearspot and Taifun but you can also buy firm tofu from your local Asian supermarket.) you do the following unless your recipe directs otherwise:

• Remove the tofu from it's packaging and cut into slices about 1.5-2cm thick.
  • Lay the slices on a clean, dry teatowel and fold into a rectangle shape.
  • Lay a chopping board or heavy book over this and place heavy objects on top (I use a large pan half filled with water but you can use books, cans, etc).
  • Leave to press for 10-30 minutes.
  • Unwrap and cook as your recipe directs (remember to throw the pressing towel in the wash).

The first recipe I'm going to share is for scrambled tofu. Tofu can have a texture similar to cooked egg, so it's perfect as a substitute for scrambled egg if you're not keen on the sulphuric flavour eggs can have sometimes. I've given scrambled tofu to a few different people and they've loved it.

Spice Blend
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp mixed herbs
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional but yummy)

Combine the above ingredients in a cup or small bowl and set aside.

Tofu and Vegetables
1 medium onion, chopped however you like it best
1 garlic clove, crushed or finely chopped
A generous spray of Fry Light
About 450g firm tofu, drained and pressed

Instructions
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute, stirring to make sure it doesn't burn.

Break the tofu into bite sized chunks and add to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring only occasionally so the tofu has a chance to brown.

Add the spice blend and mix to incorporate. Cook until the liquid has dissolved and it's ready to eat.

If it's ready before you're ready to eat it, put it into an ovenproof dish and keep it warm at 180 degrees in the oven. It'll be even more delicious after this.

This can serve 4 people as a side or 2 as a main (it's great on toast). If you have leftovers it'll reheat nicely the next day.

Hi Beckythump!
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for explaining about tofu and the recipe, as you say many people don't know what it is, or how to cook it so it's nice to have someone who actually eats it! Please continue to add recipes for it as others may then also try it.......
I am always asked for recipes for vegetarians but I don't have any experience of their meals.
Pete

If you'd like any recipes please don't be afraid to ask :)

This tofu recipe is a delicious Ranch style salad dressing that knocks the socks off any sauce you could make with fat free fromage frais or Quark. It's a recipe from 'Appetite For Reduction' by Isa Chandra Moskowitz which is packed full of low and no-Syn recipes.

Sanctuary Dressing
(Makes about 1 1/2 jam jars of dressing, or eight 60 ml servings)

1 pack of Mori-Nu tofu, removed from the packet and cut into cubes (Mori-Nu can be bought from Asda, Sainsburys etc)
2 tbsp dairy free mayonnaise (Optional but tasty. The stuff in the glass jar from H&B is good.)
60ml water
2 tbsp veg stock powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder (you can use fresh if you want to)
1 tsp onion granules (again, you can use fresh. I normally use half a small onion, finely chopped)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sweetener
pinch of black pepper
1 tsp dried dill

Bring a small pan of water to the boil and add the tofu. Lower to a simmer and cover the pan - simmer for 5 mins (simmering removes the 'beany' taste of the tofu) then drain into a colander and run cold water over it for about 30 seconds.

Put the tofu, mayo and water into a food processor and whizz until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.

Taste for seasonings. If it's not quite Ranch-y enough for you, add a little of salt, sweetener, garlic and vinegar at a time until it's right.

Store in a lidded container in the fridge for up to three days. This will get thicker as it chills. If you want it thinner just add a dash of water. If you leave out the mayo this dressing should be syn free.

I have made my own tofu from plain old soya milk. It was quite easy. I made a very nice soya loaf with it. Not bad atall.

Your thread has reminded me to get into it again.

I also bought a machine that makes soya milk out of beans, so its much cheaper than buying it. Trouble is, I could not get over the beany smell, which you don't seem to get with the shop bought stuff.

Scrambled tofu is wonderful!

You can use it to make a sort of quiche too.

Tofu quiche is lovely. You can blend the tofu with your flavourings and some cornflour to bind it together if needed, and bake on a low heat for about an hour. It's brilliant with caramelized onions in the mix.

beckythump said:
Tofu quiche is lovely. You can blend the tofu with your flavourings and some cornflour to bind it together if needed, and bake on a low heat for about an hour. It's brilliant with caramelized onions in the mix.

Tofu quiche?! Please share the recipe!!

Wow. I can't believe how long it's been since I posted. Sorry for the late reply parfittaroles!

Tofu Broccoli Quiche.

Preheat the oven to around 180/GM4.

You don't need a pastry crust for this recipe if you don't want it.

You will need:

Half a mug of cashew nuts, soaked overnight in cold water or soaked in hot water from when you start chopping the following vegetables.

1 head of broccoli, chopped up very small.
1 onion, finely chopped.
4 cloves of garlic (or less if you want. I like lots of it)
Pinch of mixed herbs.

Spray your pan with Frylight and saute the veg over a low heat, pref. in a pan with a lid so you can sweat it a bit. Cook until the broccoli is done to your liking. After the veg has cooked drain your cashews and pulse them in a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs. Take 1 block of tofu (I like to use the 450g pack of Clearspot organic tofu), unpressed, and crumble it into the food processor with the cashews. Process until relatively smooth.

Transfer into a mixing bowl and mix in the vegetables, half a teaspoon of turmeric and salt and pepper to taste. Scrape out of the bowl into your baking dish and bake for around 40 minutes.

As a bonus I also have a great recipe for tofu mayonnaise, which is hands-down better tasting than any low fat mayo and is much better for you.

Use 1 pack of Mori-Nu tofu (you can buy it from most major supermarkets), 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp oil, 1 clove of garlic, salt and pepper. Blitz all of this in a blender until smooth. Taste for salt and pepper. If it needs a little something, you can always add a click or two of Splenda or a splash of cider vinegar. Store in a glass jar in the fridge. It should last for a week, but you'll probably eat it all before then.

Oops - and another one! Tofu yogurt.

Put a packet of Mori-Nu, some sweetener and some lemon juice and zest into a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more lemon or sweetener until you're happy with the flavour. Best served chilled but you can devour the whole thing there and then if you want.

Hi - have you Synned the quiche and how many portions do you get from it?

As soon as I see nuts in a recipe I start imagining the syns and know that 25gms are 7 and a half. :eek: wouldn't know how much half a mug full weighs so can't work it out for myself.

Back