the downside to JUDDD

conlou1

Gold Member
there have been rave reviews on this diet plan, claiming it is basically a miracle diet, just stick below 500 cals one day then have 'whatever you want' the next day, it lowers choesterol, helps asthma and a whole host of other health problems you may have. having done this diet now for over 2 weeks i just wanted to give the flip side, as there is a downside to it, and whilst i seem to be in the minority i felt it has a place so that anyone thinking of embarking on this diet can know all of the facts on it.

the first week of doing this i felt great, i supposedly lost 3 pound, and all was going well. i did some exercis eon my DD during the first week and felt very very ill on the second DD to the point of almost fainting, i couldnt breath etc, so i decided to switch my exercise days to UD, but on my DD i started having palpatations, i had a dermatitis breakout-the worst one ive had in over 5 years, i got a rash on my legs that i usually get when i have an allergy attack, now i have suffered with allergic reactions since i was 16 and i know my triggers and this has come out of no where, ive done nothing different and havent had a rash on my legs this bad since i was 17, ive got mouth ulcers, cold sores, my face is swollen, my hands and feet are also swollen, i am constipated, and yesterday i felt like i needed to urinate and couldnt go, it was awful...it took me over an hour. these symptoms have only come on since doing this diet. its the palpatations that are most worrying, yesterday was the worst, they were happening constantly and it was making me feel very anxious and scared, id had chest pains on my UD also. now this could all be total coincedence but i feel like my body has gone into shock or something. in theory this diet is brilliant, in reality FOR ME its been a nightmare the past few days, im gutted it hasnt worked for me as it seemed like the perfect solution but its not worth risking my health.

as i have said i seem to be in the minority and perhaps it is just a coincedence but as this diet is very new there arent many people doing it and i think its good to have a balance, as if the same thing happens to someone else then its clear its the diet, if i remain the only person then its just been coincedence. i would recommend if doing this diet, that on your UD you eat very healthy, as i didnt cos i felt i could have whatever i wanted on those days, it could have been this that was the cause of all my ailments so thought it was worth a mention.

good luck JUDDDERS, im sad to leave you as youve all been lovely but i have to put my health first :( i hope that its just coincedence and no one else experiences these symptoms but if they do id be interested to hear from you.

I am really sorry that you feel this way about Juddd I would suggest you see your GP as soon as possible as being a trained Nurse I don't think your symptoms have anything to do with the diet, You are wrong in thinking that this is hailed as a miracle diet, yes you have freedom to eat what you want every other day but the DD s have to be completed too, if they were saying eat what you like every day, now there would be a miracle diet, I think we all know they don't exist. Also its not a new diet, just because it has suddenly become popular in this country especially after that Program, D r Johnsons book was published in 2008 and the human race has been since Fasting time began, it has been proven that there are health benefits to this diet. In America it has a huge following as I also browse the Low carb friends forum which has a large Juddd community, I have never come accross another poster experienceing your symptoms ? There are millions of people following this kind of diet .
Just wanted to redress the balance a bit, I know Juddd isn't for everyone far from it I have beeen on this forum when there was me and just 1 other member, but if you can get along with this kind of diet then Juddd does do what it says on the tin x
I really hope you feel better soon and that you find a weight loss plan that will get you to your goal as at the end of the day we are all on the same journey just on different paths, take care xx

It does seem very extreme. Have you re-introduced a food that you had cut out while doing SW or calorie counting?

Are you on any medications that you need to take with food or a full stomache?

I know that anxiety can produce lots of different reactions so it could be a case of one incident has created a viscious circle of symptoms. Either way, if your health and state of mind are suffering then maybe this diet is not for you, either ever, or at this time.

Get well soon and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi CL

I personally think it's a coincidence as your symptoms are extreme and I can't see them being caused by a few hours without food.

I really do hope you feel better soon.

P x

I would go to get a check up with your gp ASAP.

Prehaps this diet is not for you, you are in a healthy bmi now, and maybe 500 is not enough for you on your dd.

Good luck whatever you choice, please keep in touch ;-)

bajoleth said:
I am really sorry that you feel this way about Juddd I would suggest you see your GP as soon as possible as being a trained Nurse I don't think your symptoms have anything to do with the diet, You are wrong in thinking that this is hailed as a miracle diet, yes you have freedom to eat what you want every other day but the DD s have to be completed too, if they were saying eat what you like every day, now there would be a miracle diet, I think we all know they don't exist. Also its not a new diet, just because it has suddenly become popular in this country especially after that Program, D r Johnsons book was published in 2008 and the human race has been since Fasting time began, it has been proven that there are health benefits to this diet. In America it has a huge following as I also browse the Low carb friends forum which has a large Juddd community, I have never come accross another poster experienceing your symptoms ? There are millions of people following this kind of diet .
Just wanted to redress the balance a bit, I know Juddd isn't for everyone far from it I have beeen on this forum when there was me and just 1 other member, but if you can get along with this kind of diet then Juddd does do what it says on the tin x
I really hope you feel better soon and that you find a weight loss plan that will get you to your goal as at the end of the day we are all on the same journey just on different paths, take care xx

2008 is very new in terms of a diet plan, I am only voicing my personal findings and opinions on this diet, there is nothing to rebalance, as I said it may be coincidence but I think as with anything that side effects need to be noted, even if I'm a rare case just because you've never met anyone before me who's had a bad reaction to it doesn't mean that there isn't one. I haven't told anyone not to do this plan and I'm not sure why you feel the need to jump to its defence. I was t asking fur opinions on it I was voicing my findings in the hope that if there is someone else who this happens to they won't feel alone and like they're doing something wrong.

Paulinegin said:
Hi CL

I personally think it's a coincidence as your symptoms are extreme and I can't see them being caused by a few hours without food.

I really do hope you feel better soon.

P x

I have to agree with Pauline (as always!) a few hours with a reduced amount of food (not even a complete fast) should not cause that kind of reaction. In fact my son was allergy tested a few months ago and was told to fast for 24 hours beforehand (which was hell - for me!!)

A trip to the doctors would be advised before writing off a diet plan that has so many advantages I think :)

I am sorry I have offended you, it was certainly not my intention, I am sorry you have these terrible symptoms and yes you may be an extreme case as where less than 500 cals a day sends your body into this response but my medical head says this is very unlikely, I think you need to see your Gp ASAP to get some answers. I didn't think I was defending the diet it was just you said that this has been hailed as a miracle diet and that its relatively new both of which are untrue.
I know you didn't ask for my opinion but there it is, and as I said earlier I have not come across anything like your symptoms on any of the American forums either, my concern is for your health. I also wished you well as I still do, I hope you find some answers soon .

there have been rave reviews on this diet plan, claiming it is basically a miracle diet, just stick below 500 cals one day then have 'whatever you want' the next day, it lowers choesterol, helps asthma and a whole host of other health problems you may have. having done this diet now for over 2 weeks i just wanted to give the flip side, as there is a downside to it, and whilst i seem to be in the minority i felt it has a place so that anyone thinking of embarking on this diet can know all of the facts on it.

the first week of doing this i felt great, i supposedly lost 3 pound, and all was going well. i did some exercis eon my DD during the first week and felt very very ill on the second DD to the point of almost fainting, i couldnt breath etc, so i decided to switch my exercise days to UD, but on my DD i started having palpatations, i had a dermatitis breakout-the worst one ive had in over 5 years, i got a rash on my legs that i usually get when i have an allergy attack, now i have suffered with allergic reactions since i was 16 and i know my triggers and this has come out of no where, ive done nothing different and havent had a rash on my legs this bad since i was 17, ive got mouth ulcers, cold sores, my face is swollen, my hands and feet are also swollen, i am constipated, and yesterday i felt like i needed to urinate and couldnt go, it was awful...it took me over an hour. these symptoms have only come on since doing this diet. its the palpatations that are most worrying, yesterday was the worst, they were happening constantly and it was making me feel very anxious and scared, id had chest pains on my UD also. now this could all be total coincedence but i feel like my body has gone into shock or something. in theory this diet is brilliant, in reality FOR ME its been a nightmare the past few days, im gutted it hasnt worked for me as it seemed like the perfect solution but its not worth risking my health.

as i have said i seem to be in the minority and perhaps it is just a coincedence but as this diet is very new there arent many people doing it and i think its good to have a balance, as if the same thing happens to someone else then its clear its the diet, if i remain the only person then its just been coincedence. i would recommend if doing this diet, that on your UD you eat very healthy, as i didnt cos i felt i could have whatever i wanted on those days, it could have been this that was the cause of all my ailments so thought it was worth a mention.

good luck JUDDDERS, im sad to leave you as youve all been lovely but i have to put my health first :( i hope that its just coincedence and no one else experiences these symptoms but if they do id be interested to hear from you.

really sorry to read this, i had plenty of problems by the time i finished cambridge, including poor skin, hair loss and dizzyness. although that was a different diet, our bodies do react in strange ways to different eating plans and sudden changes. hopefully you will find something that is working for you to lose weight but i would suggest you see the doctor to get your symptoms checked anyway. maybe you could tweak the diet if you did want to continue, i.e. eating more like 700 cals on the downs and readjusting the intake on the ups. im not sure what results it could bring but an alternate version of calorie shifting might help you to lose weight but not aggravate the health problems if they are linked to the diet. i hope your symptoms disappear soon though :) xx

bajoleth, i wasnt offended im just feeling rubbish and grumpy and very annoyed that its working for everyone else but me.

im going to follow a low cal diet of 1200-1500 a day, i lost a stone in 6 weeks doing this i just got very complacent on it and fed up with the daily restriction so alternate day diet seemed perfect for me. perhaps its not the diet itself but the fact that on my up days im not eating particularly healthily...maybe this is the key, on your up days you still need to eat as if your on a diet rather than eating and eating cos you can.

Sorry to hear that it didnt work for you, perhaps a calorie restricted day every day might work better? I get panic attacks also when I drink too much caffeine, just wondering did you have a lot of tea/coffee/diet drinks on your dd? Or did you eat some new food that might have caused the reaction? I would echo everyone else in getting it checked asap, take care x

Listen hun instead of throwing in the towel why don't you cal count until you feel better with this recent illness and then maybe give it another try? To be perfectly honest, I do my best to be healthy on my UP days but a bit of Veg and wholemeal bread and skimmed milk are about it really . I eat chocolate, cakes, crisps during my ups in the week although I try my best to keep under 2300 normally don't always achieve it though, but am strict with my DD and never go over, so you don't have to diet on your UP s. If you really feel this plan is for you but don't feel like its working I would take some time out, read up on the internet read through some Juddd members diaries that have been doing it for a month or more and I am sure you will see things in a different light. You really need to give it about a month to let your body adjust, don't rely on the scales rely on your measure or your clothes because thats where you will see the real difference, I hope you come back to us and let me persuade you this really is the only diet you will ever need and no I don't get paid to say that lol xx

Oh Lou I am sorry you feel this way, my story is your total opposite and I found that my psoriasis has calmed down a lot since being on this diet. I am sorry its not the right one for you and I wish you well, pop in and let us know how you get on. xx

Yeah I might do the odd day fasting, I know it works and I love the idea of it putting your body into repair mode. I have looked up on Internet and I can't find any one saying the same so it would appear its not the diet as such I think it's the fact I'm eating junk that I don't usually eat on my
Up days. I'm going to do low cal for a bit and see how I feel and try reassess and eat healthier then see where I go from there xx

Lou why don't you take control of your UD's and calorie count like you would normally do but allow yourself 500 cals of treat, I find that if eating healthy I cannot clock more than 1400 calories you could add 500 cals of chocolate, cake or some white carbs as a treat on each UD day and you wouldn't feel like missing out. The problem with calorie counting every day is that you soon get bored of it the same ol same ol having to never enjoy anything properly without great guilt pangs it's not fun which is why you turned to Judd after loosing your first stone in 6 weeks, loosing weight by restricting every day is hard so you might be better following a stricter JUDDD you can really tailor this plan to suit you, just a thought.

passionflower said:
Lou why don't you take control of your UD's and calorie count like you would normally do but allow yourself 500 cals of treat, I find that if eating healthy I cannot clock more than 1400 calories you could add 500 cals of chocolate, cake or some white carbs as a treat on each UD day and you wouldn't feel like missing out. The problem with calorie counting every day is that you soon get bored of it the same ol same ol having to never enjoy anything properly without great guilt pangs it's not fun which is why you turned to Judd after loosing your first stone in 6 weeks, loosing weight by restricting every day is hard so you might be better following a stricter JUDDD you can really tailor this plan to suit you, just a thought.

It was my 3rd stone ;) 1st 2 and a bit I lost on Sw. Yeah I'll have a think about it. All I know is I can't have another day like yesterday I haven't felt that Low and run down for a long time x

Im not medically trained and i have no allergys or ailments myself but..just a thought....could it be that because your body has been going into repair mode every other day, its just kicking the cr@p out of all the stuff it wants to get rid of? Have to get worse before it gets better kind of thing? Sorry your feeling rubbish tho x

I'm also not medically trained but it sounds to me like you have a UTI. I don't think the diet has anything to do with it. Really hope you feel better soon.

MissHapp said:
I'm also not medically trained but it sounds to me like you have a UTI. I don't think the diet has anything to do with it. Really hope you feel better soon.

I did wonder that cos the weeing thing is weird. I was like it again today, but the opposite, I went to toilet then 5 minutes later felt I needed to go again but there was onmy a bit (sorry tmi) but it doesn't burn or anything when i pee. God I'm dropping to bits lol

Back