The Dream's Diary

thedream

Hi Everyone!

I have never done a diary before, hoping i will find it helpful to keep me on track and get other opinions. I've been on Atkins since Monday, so this is day 6. I caved in and weighed on Thurdsay (trying to have a set weigh day, and not weigh more than once a week), I was 12st 13lb so 4lb down. Obviously I know that will be water weight but it's still nice to see.

Here's what i ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 4 (97% pork) chipolatas sausages, courgette and mushrooms cooked in EVOO.

Lunch: Tuna mayo, ham, olives, spinach cucumber and mayo.

Dinner: 2 homemade beef burgers (just mince and herbs) grilled, small amount of cheese, aubergine, courgette and broccoli cooked in EVOO.

Snack: small amount of cheese.

Drinks: water, one tea with cream.

xx

Last edited:
Yay! I am finally (not that i had to wait long) feeling the benefits of Atkins. I had so much energy yesterday. Feeling good today too, I've never felt this good on a diet before.

What I ate yesterday (hungry day!)

Breakfast: 2 back rashers, courgette and mushroom cooked in EVOO.

Lunch: tuna mayo, spinach and cucumber

Dinner: 2 small fillets of white fish in cheese sauce (recipe from here :D), asparagus and aubergine cooked in EVOO.

Snacks: salami, small amount of cheese, slice of corned beef, rhubarb and cream.

x

Hi Dream and welcome :)

It gets a bit quieter on the weekend, but there will be lots of people coming by to wish you well - sounds like you're off to a brilliant start!

Hi Susie, thank you. :)

I've decided to weigh on Mondays as I started last Monday although I weighed on Thursday, i didn't think i could wait until either Thursday or next Monday.

I was really nervous about weighing today because I ate a lot yesterday. I cooked a huge leg of lamb and gave myself a really generous amount as I was missing out on roasters, carrot and swede mash (drool...) stuffing ect... Well, I had seconds and then thirds and picked at the lamb while i was serving up! :ashamed0005:
To make it worse i got really tempted by cake and chocolates after, it didn't help that i already felt like i failed for having so much food. I knew i needed something to curb my sweet tooth so i had some rhubarb and cream and put myself to bed like a naughty child hoping for the best.

So, today i was in two minds about weighing, when i haven't lost what i hoped or sts it often leads to stopping and restarting but to my surprise I was 12st 9lb! I don't know how it happened. that's 4lb down from Thursday and i've been eating quite a lot and a heck a lot of fat (mainly good fat though)

x

Hi thedream and welcome! Well done on your loss, that is fantastic! That is the joy of Atkins, as long as you eat allowed food, you're allowed as much as you want! Hunger eases off after a spell and you'll find you'll only get odd 'hunger' days, but it's a wonderful diet. Subscribing to your diary and good luck on the journey! x

Thank you Toni. I am enjoying being able to eat until i'm full and not have to stop because because i've reached a calorie limit like on other diets. I used to eat a lot before Atkins, even though fat and protein keeps me fuller longer i still seem to have to eat quite a bit to not feel hungry. As long as it's working though i am happy. I'm sure eventually i will adjust to 'normal' amount and not overeating most days like i used to. x

Yep, I'm sure you will! Because it's so gradual we don't realise how much we are consuming but we get used to smaller portions and cam re-educate our brains and tummies.

I remember when hubby n I first met (7 yrs ago) we'd buy a 3 pizza box share one and put rest in freezer, then we began eating one each and just before we both decided to slim down we'd eat all 3 in one sitting!

I now eat probably a 1/4 of what I used to eat, not because I'm trying but because I feel full and even uncomfortable if I eat more!

I know the feeling, me and OH used to do the same. He has slimmed down now though and I was getting quite embarrassed about being able to eat him under the table and pinching his left overs nearly every meal. I've adjusted to eating smaller amounts before so I know I can, it just will take time x

Dream hun you will always have hungry days and days where you don't feel so hungry - it happens to all of us - but with low carb you're filling up on good stuff, so keep your chin up and try to resist the temptations that are Everywhere - but don't beat yourself up if/when you do succumb! xxx

Thanks Susie :) I think you are right hungry days are quite normal as are days that I am not so hungry. I had a not so hungry day yesterday.

Here's what I ate:

Breakfast: kippers, egg, mushrooms and courgette cooked in EVOO.

Lunch: didn't have time to make lunch to bring to work so I had a small pepperami and a small bit of cheese.

Dinner: chicken shish kebab (was meant to be chicken and lamb shish but the takeaway ran out of lamb, was so disappointed :() salad and mayo

There was a fair amount of onion in the salad with the kebab so I decided to leave a lot of it on plate, which was quite difficult. I love onion and this is the first time I've had it since starting Atkins. I'm quite pleased with myself that i was able to leave something on my plate, i never food on my plate! I suppose it's something i need to get used to, I've always ate until my plate is clear rather than when i am full. x

Sounds like a good menu - sometimes you have to be the mother of invention!

And if you love onions, try a little spring onions, they are lower in carbs than their big smelly brothers :D

Sounds like a good menu - sometimes you have to be the mother of invention!

And if you love onions, try a little spring onions, they are lower in carbs than their big smelly brothers :D

Hehe, I have spring onion at home waiting to be used :D

Having a good day so far, done quite a bit of walking and found a brand new copy of 'the new Atkins new you cookbook' in a charity shop for £1.50. I've heard bad things about it but there is plenty of recipes I want to try already. I also came across some sugar free hard candies, they have no asparamte or citric acid in them either! x

Watch the s/f stuff hun - sadly, some people get bad tummy upsets from the fake sugars in them. Ditto s/f chocolate.

Thanks, I'll be going easy on them ;) i seem to tolerate sugar free sweets quite well luckily. I used to almost live off sugar free marshmallows while on VLCD x

Hi Dream and welcome. Your doing great and menu looks good. :)

Hi coffeelover!

Today has been a bit of a shambles, been out all day and under the weather. I started the day with flu tablets, didn't realise until after they contain caffeine. I've been avoiding caffeine since I started. The I was in Mcdonalds this afternoon really needed a drink, don't like black coffee so I opted for a diet coke. Again, more caffeine.

What I've had today:

Breakfast: salami, egg, brocolli and mushrooms (new i say cooked in EVOO anymore?)

Lunch: ham, spinach, cucumber and cherry tomoatoes.

Dinner: homemade meatballs, zoodles (a total win! :D) pesto and cheese.

Snacks: rhubarb and cream

Also, i accidently made salami crisps this morning! I had some thin sliced salami to use so i thought id have it for brekkie and fry it a little. Well, i fried it too long and with not enough fat and thought 'oh great, I've ruined it' but to my surprise they were like really meaty crisps. I will defdo be frying some up to bring with me for snacks on the go x

I've had a really difficult and emotional day, I've had to try really really hard to not let my mood effect my eating. I am such an emotional eater, it's probably my main problem.

Today I've had:

Brunch: matensons sausage, bacon, egg and mushrooms.

Dinner: salmon, roasted cauliflower and buttered greens.

Snacks: small amount of stilton. Double cream, cream cheese and splenda whipped up (needed a sweet pick me up) x

Hi Dream, sorry to hear you had an emotional day. I'm an emotional eater too. I wouldn't worry about the caffeine, I've could never survive without my daily espressos with a tiny bit of double cream and I think it may actually help a bit with weight loss? Provided you don't put tons of cream in or milk. Hope today is better. :)

Hi Dream, sorry to hear you had an emotional day. I'm an emotional eater too. I wouldn't worry about the caffeine, I've could never survive without my daily espressos with a tiny bit of double cream and I think it may actually help a bit with weight loss? Provided you don't put tons of cream in or milk. Hope today is better. :)

I've always thought caffeine helps with weight loss. But caffeine should be avoided if possible on atkins?

I've had a stinking cold past few days and today I've almost lost my voice :(

Yesterdays menu:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, mushrooms and courgette.

Lunch: roast chicken, spinach, cucumber and mayo

Dinner: beef burger, roasted cauliflower and buttered greens

Snack: 1 sugar free hard boiled sweet (to soothe my throat, which it didn't)

One good thing has come of feeling ill though, i made myself a soup (can't be ill and not have soup!) and it was lovely. I used to make lots of soup and didn't think i could make a decent low carb one but i have proved myself wrong. It was broccoli and stilton, i will put the recipe on the recipes thread for anyone who wants to try it x

Sorry to hear about the cold hun, it might be caused by the carbs flushing out - and soup is a good choice for when you're feeling that way :)

Back