The Eurovision

MissSlinky2011

Silver Member
Does anyone else get the feeling that the UK doesn't want to win on purpose this year after the expense of the Olympics?

I mean seriously a 75 year old?

Eurovision is about trashy catchy euro POP not a crooner that we will be lucky if he actually lives that long enough to perform.

As much as I hate jedward they were perfectly crafted for the Eurovision!

X x x

Well we can't win with trashy catchy euro pop, so you never know ;-)

Englebert is a legend!

It's not that he's old its more that he's not going to be able to compete with what's associated with Eurovision, I want to watch pirates and tin men and other randomness not a guy who hasn't had a hit in over 40 years!

He's to serious for the Eurovision, the guy last year who had an amazing voice and sang opera was just beautiful but he was never going to win the Eurovision is a machine to put on a spectacle it never has been and never will be a serious singing competition so why has the UK chosen a serious singer? I think he's like 100 to one at the bookies jedward however 2nd favourites lol

X x x

We could have LMFAO/Ed Sheeran/Adele/Insert popular singer here* singing our Eurovision Song and it wouldn't win! It's nothing to do with Music, Songs, Performances. It's all political, it always has been and always will be and I LOVE it. Every year we sit as a family and watch and mark each ones based on the music. Every year we're way out, every year it's the Greece/Cyprus 10/12 points saga, every year the best song comes about 10th. It's a complete farce and I don't think anyone takes it seriously anymore. I'd LOVE Englebert to take it but I very much doubt it, mainly due to the fact that something drastic happened 10 or 20 years ago. Oh and I also love the way the 15 years on, Bosnia and Hertzigovina doing well is still a "sympathy" vote! Ahh, when is it? I can't wait!

Lol its better than the turkey they used one year!

We won't win, even if we had an amazing act everyone hates the UK and we all know its politically voted anyway!

I think the hoff is doing it for Germany now he's an older act I'm looking forward to lol

X x x

HelsAngel said:
We could have LMFAO/Ed Sheeran/Adele/Insert popular singer here* singing our Eurovision Song and it wouldn't win! It's nothing to do with Music, Songs, Performances. It's all political, it always has been and always will be and I LOVE it. Every year we sit as a family and watch and mark each ones based on the music. Every year we're way out, every year it's the Greece/Cyprus 10/12 points saga, every year the best song comes about 10th. It's a complete farce and I don't think anyone takes it seriously anymore. I'd LOVE Englebert to take it but I very much doubt it, mainly due to the fact that something drastic happened 10 or 20 years ago. Oh and I also love the way the 15 years on, Bosnia and Hertzigovina doing well is still a "sympathy" vote! Ahh, when is it? I can't wait!

Lol me and all my friends have a Eurovision party! We also play spot the Welsh flag there is always a Welsh flag in the audience! We give them marks aswell its great my husband is a Eurovision expert he knows every act that's won ... ever!

X x x

It's a great big farce and I also love it!

The political voting is hilarious......

The Eurovision Song Contest 2012 will be the 57th annual Eurovision Song Contest. It will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan, following Azerbaijan's win in the 2011 Contest with Eldar & Nigar's song "Running Scared". The two semi-finals will be held on 22 May and 24 May 2012, and the final on 26 May 2012.[1] The purpose of the semi-finals is to narrow down the participants to twenty-six who will compete for the victory. Ten countries from each semi final will qualify and will be joined in the final by Azerbaijan, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. Forty-three countries have announced their participation in the contest, with Montenegro returning, having last taken part in 2009[2], and Poland withdrawing.

It might just turn out to be a clever move - Englebert is very popular, and very recognisable, in a lot of other countries, more so than here.

I don't think its a remotely stupid idea. There are many successful musicians who don't grace the mainstream chart, but that's not to say they aren't very good at what they do. Apart from anything else, assuming that Europe as a whole likes nothing more than trashy pop music would be ludicrous, the favoured genres of music vary vastly from one country, even one city to another throughout Europe.
Englebert is exceptionally well known in Europe, where in certain places there is still big demand for the old crooner style of song. I agree with Anna, this could be a smart move indeed. There are often older balladeers entered. And yes, it is political, which is also why this might be an unexpected but smart move. It might actually bring more votes our way. It will mark our entry out as something a bit more interesting than the rubbish we usually churn out, because voters will know him and like him already.

AND it gives me the excellent opportunity to play the Englebert Humperdink game with my kids, which is value enough in its own right.

If you have or know some children between the ages of about 4 and 10, here is how you play.

Tell them you have a name to tell them and you want them to remember it because you will be asking them again later what it is. Then say Englebert Humperdink. Only tell them once, or twice if they are small. Then wander off, and a short time later, go back and ask them what the name was you asked them to remember. I recommend a decent support girdle as you may risk your ribs listening to their recollections. Then go away for a bit longer, and go back and ask them again. Never fails...

So far, mine have come up with Engebar Humperdirk and Unglebore Humbleclink.

Just read this on the independent online.

The BBC is facing a backlash over its decision to pick Engelbert Humperdinck
to sing Britain's entry at the Eurovision Song Contest.

The selection of the singer - who will be 76 by the time he performs in the
competition in Baku, Azerbaijan, in May - provoked a number of complaints on
the corporation's website.

One asked whether it was "April Fool a month early" while another
suggested that it was like a "bad dream".

Another user wrote: "This proves once and for all that the contest is a
joke. The BBC are going to throw a load of money at this again and have put
an act in that will barely trouble the scorers."

Joseph Leather called the move "absolutely shocking", the Daily Mail
reported.

He added: "With the Olympics and Diamond Jubilee this year, it's the
perfect occasion to show the UK as a young hip place to be not stuck in the
past which you have clearly done."

A post by another user wrote: "What sort of message does this send to the
world? That in 2012 there are no up and coming performers that can represent
the UK?

"Or maybe the strategy is to win by gathering the middle-aged women vote
from all across Europe."

However there was backing from a user called Andy, who said: "I was
astonished at first, but EH will stand out from the crowd of 19-year-old
Euro-Pixies and is well known across Europe.

"While the votes for the usual Euro-pap will be fragmented, big old EH
could well unite the over-50s vote and steal a win."

A BBC spokesman said that the choice of Humperdinck had been "the subject
of much heated debate", adding: "We are deliighted by the
overwhelming and largely positive response."

I don't think EH can do any worse than we have done previously. Wasn't it last year we came last?

We've given lots of new faces a chance to do their best but we've just not been sucessful in such a long time. I say give EH a go & you never know we may be surprised. And people are commenting on the choice of candidate, but we haven't even heard his song yet.

I'll be watching with my glass of wine (or two:D) & cheering EH on:D

I thought we came in the middle last year it was a few years ago we came last now I think.

X x x

Apparently Jason Donovan was asked to represent us and declined. Not sure how that works him being Aussie and all that, does it matter where you're from?

We've tried new talent, we've tried dragging older groups out (blue), fact is we are never going to win because there are not that many countries to give us big points!

It's a bit of fun, trashy tele, just enjoy.

As long as the song writer is British it doesn't matter where the performer is from.
You're right though - we could have Madonna as our entry and we still wouldn't win!
Still love it though :D

Just googled we came 11th last year with 100 points lol

X x x

Being as we won with Katrina and the Waves (American), and Celine Dion (Canadian) once entered on behalf of Switzerland (cant even begin to work that one out...) I dont think the nationality of the singer is important. That said, as much as I used to LOVE Jason Donovan in days of yesteryore, I dont think he has the strongest singing voice and am quite glad if it is true that he declined. He had a bit of a pop career but that was very much off the back of his fame in Neighbours and his on and off-screen relationship with Kylie Minogue.

I'm all for a bit of Englebert, my eldest has now mastered how to say it and is playing the game with her own friends at school - "OmeletteBird Humbleding" is my current favourite so far.

It's ok were not so bad Russia have pick a group of singing grannies according to the BBC lol, so far the BBC are making this years Eurovision sound like a geriatric convention lol

X x x

Back