The Final Push :)

TerriH

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Minimins and SW and thought I'd say hello :)

I'm 38 and have spent the past two decades on a diet of some sort or another. I'm 5'4" and was almost 14 stone at my heaviest in my twenties. Since then I have battled to keep at around 12 stone. I have probably been within the right weight zone for about 6 months of my adult life.

The most successful time for me was when I did Atkins for a year, but I buckled under the strain of all those 'no's' and ended up back where I started, with more besides :/

Late last year I had to have half of my thyrod removed and am now on levothyroxine for life.

Last week I was at the doctors as they suspect I have a stomach ulcer, so I also now have to take meds for that.

It was a real wake up call that I am getting older, I have been relatively happy to sit at around 12 stone all this time, when all I do every single minute of every single day, is obsess about food, what I look like, how great others look...you get the idea! But ultimately, my health is being impacted now - that 'it'll never happen to me, I'm not that overweight' line I've been telling myself is catching up with me.

I dug out all of my SW books (from a previous pathetic attempt four years ago) knowing that this time, it's not about faddy diets but actually about eating well, eating healthy, and moving more (I have an office job - the devils work!). It's not about quick fixes, losing half a stone in three days and all that malarky, it's about eating good food that takes care of me both inside and out, ensuring my family also become healthier as a result, and actually enjoying my life, instead of sitting on the sidelines in case anyone sees me.

Sorry, I went on a bit - first time nerves:)

Back