The heat...

letsgetlosing

I live in a hot climate southern Turkey, today the temperature was 38. :eek:
i just wondered if anyone pays any notice of what my mum still says and my nan used to say- that the heat 'swells you' By this they meant that in the hot weather, you tend to hold onto water.

Is this an old wives tale? If I lived in cooler UK, would I be 7lb lighter!!:D

Know from watching BBC that the UK is and will be having a heat wave and wondered if any of you are experiencing this 'phenomenon'!?

hehe good luck for W.I - if you do STS , its the heat. If you lose 5lb, my Nans theory is no longer acceptable as the reason why I gained a pound this week..:)

i like this theory. I am hot - hence i am retaining water. However, i am not a camel, so doubt they will let me have this as a potential excuse for a gain! x

Guess it depends how much you drink, I find if I drink the same or less than usual when it's hot outside the swelling is really bad, especially in my fingers and my feet but if I drink more it's a lot better, same with the headaches, that seems to apply whether I am pregnant or not if that helps. To be honest though I think people weigh more when it's hot because it takes more effort to cook/eat and personally I find I have a lot less of an appetite, which seems bizarre since my 2 year old eats more than I do normally anyway lol. Hugs Crystal xx

Now I am totally the opposite. When I lived in a hot climate Lebanon) I was like a rake and could basically pretty eat whatever I liked. Now I live in the UK the weight just seems to find me and stick to my bones!!

I love the theory and may use it as an excuse at W.I. tonight. The fact that the sun last appeared in the NEast on Sunday may not make for a convincing arguement, but I'm going to try with 'still holding some residual swelling from the heat at the weekend'.

I dot know about holding onto water, but I'm having trouble eating with my gastric band due to the heat!! Nothing stays in :(

Nope that doesn't hold water :-D (sorry couldn't resist) I lived in South Africa and never had problems with water retention, in fact I was loads skinnier. The hotter it is the more you have to drink.

My feet and ankles swell up from April to October with water retention :( I've always just accepted it as the way I am but last year in Majorca during the latter half of my second week there the swelling spread to my legs as well. They felt as though they were gonna burst. I'm going to Tunisia next Wednesday where I'm expecting the heat to hit 40 degrees, consequently I've been to the doc and am now on water tablets. BUT this week they're having no effect at all and I'm going back to see him on Thursday to ask if he'll increase the dose. I guess we're just all different.

I've got kankles at the min where I've swollen up lol

Back