The last mile in my weight loss marathon!

northernboi

OK so let's get the numbers out of the way. I started at 16 stone 5lb with a BMI of 31.9 in September. I'm now 12 stone 8lb with a BMI of 24.5. I've lost almost 4 stone and my target is 8lb away.

I had hoped to get to target by January. Then I moved it to February and now it's March. I'm staying the same most weeks, occasionally putting on a pound, occasionally loosing a pound. I've stopped going to class.

I'm not sticking to the plan. I probably do so five days a week and then sod it two days per week.

And I'm find it really tough. I just am absolutely sick and tired of being on a diet. And it feels like a diet. It doesn't feel like a 'healthy eating plan' or a 'way of eating for life' or any of the things that other Slimming World members say. I feel like I could stick to this way of eating ok... and I'm comforted by the fact that if I did then my weight would stay the same. I'm fine sticking to SW five days per week... but I just can't seem to do it seven days per week.

I REALLY want this last 8lb to come off. I know that sounds a little silly given I've lost 4 stone already, but I'm not happy with my body shape yet and I've been so focussed on hitting target that I'll be annoyed with myself if I don't do it.

I know HOW to do it. I know I could have a Success Express day or two, I know I need to introduce more speed foods and I know I need to stick to it all the time rather than keep having a day or two off.

But it seems much more difficult now. I've started seeing someone and that involves meals and bottles of wine and trips to the cinema (yes I know it's Valentine's Day and I shouldn't be posting here, but the new fella has an anti-social job and is away until Monday).

So, here's my question. How do I get this last 8lb off? I'm really looking forward to once it's gone and then I feel I could maintain, but what do I do in the meantime? My weight is now exactly the same as it was a month ago. I don't want to be in the same situation come mid March.

Any advice gratefully received!

Ste
x

I'm afraid I have no advice whatsoever as I'm still at the beginning of my journey but I am hanging my head in shame as I've been going to SW for 4 months longer than you but have lost 1.5 stone less.

Well done, you !!

I've been the same with the last 5-6 lbs for months!!

EE has given me a bit of a boost since Xmas though...just 2lbs to go!

what about sucess express? I've heard thats quite good. i cant really offer any solid advice, what about upping your excerise to compensate for the bad weekends?
well done so far and good luck!!!
:)
xxxxxxx

I'd go with the upping your exercise. Are you still using syns? If you are, of course stop them.

What worries me is you sound ready to jack it all in. Remember how much you've lost. Most people want to lose half a stone. That's all you have left now. If that takes you from now until the end of the year, is that really so bad? What is more important is that you don't slip back into bad ways.

I've been there. I've been goal - less than goal - yet here I am again. What needs to change is my attitude to food, and this time, fingers crossed, I think it has. I've not been great tonight (four beers, plus the free tapas - double what I wanted) but I've had a green dinner since coming in (very scrummy, esp. when slightly drunk :D) and tomorrow, I'm going red and upping my exercise. That will help make-up for tonight. And I feel so positive for thinking that way.

To lose four stone is incredible. Really, I take my hat off to you and give you all the :happy096::clap: that there is. The willpower and guts to do it is just amazing.

Enjoy your man, enjoy your life, enjoy being at a healthy BMI. Enjoy heroin . . . damn, how did Trainspotting get in there? :DSorry, what I mean is, stop beating yourself up. Give yourself a huge pat on the back and that last half a stone, that will go when it's ready.

Now apologising for posting when slightly tipsy :rolleyes:

Ste, you have done fantasically well in losing what you have in the timescale you've lost it in.

I have a question. Do you REALLY NEED to get to 12stone? or does your head tell you that? I know you said you feel your body isn't right yet, but, you've lost a lot of weight quite quickly and sometimes it takes a while for your skin and muscles to settle into their new shape if you know what I mean. You're going to hate me for saying this, but toning up might be the answer rather than losing that last 8lbs.

If you are staying the same weight, is that not your body telling you that it's happy where it's at right now? Could you not carry on as you are 5 days on 2 days off and maintain for a while? then a few months down the line, decide if you do actually need to lose that other 8lbs. 12 stone is quite light really.

If after all my blethering on, you think you do need to shift that last 8lbs, you have to get your head into it. You know how it works, you know all the ins and outs of it, you know what works and what doesn't, but if the last 8lbs is THAT important you have to give yourself a kick up the behind, tell yourself, it's ONLY a month and you can be there by then and go for the full 7 days a week instead of 5.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you going to class anymore? Wouldn't that give you the incentive to stick to it for another month before going on a maintenance plan?

OH, and btw... do we get to see before and after pics yet???? hmmm??? hmmm?? LOL

I agree with what others have said...what an amazing achievement you have already had. I am incredibly jealous, but know how hard you've worked and how much you've helped so many of us on here - myself included (thanks).

12 stone is quite light isn't it? Do you really need to get there?

If you do, and you are just stuck, I would whole-heartedly recommend Fast Forward - which got me over a sticky weight. It's vicious, but it took me over a line I'd been struggling to cross for several weeks. If you're not going to class, and are interested, PM me your email and I can send it to you.

I do think, though, that Annie is right about giving it some time....but only you can answer the 'how important?' question.

And congrats on the new fella - was that related to weight loss success? (as in changes of self-attitude??)

Keep going....don't give up.xxx

Thanks for all your messages folks!

Harrie - Yeah, I think I maybe am a bit ready to jack it all in. I am worried about stopping being on plan and going off the rails, but I honestly think that I can maintain. I feel like I've learnt how to do that - weigh myself, see I've gained a pound, reign it in a bit, lose a pound... stay at the same weight. I've basically been doing that for quite a long time now with the added extra reigning in so I can show a loss.

Re syns, well, on the days I follow the plan my syns are quite low - maybe 3-8 or something like that. If I'm sticking to it say on a weekday at work, I'm in quite a good routine of being good - having a healthy HEXy breakfast and some fruit, buying a healthy-ish free lunch with one or two syns in butter or sauces, cooking from scratch a healthy free tea that varies every day and having a little treat of three or four syns and filling up on yoghurt or fruit if I get hungry.

My problem is that, as a bloke, I can still show a loss eating 15 a day if I stick to it seven days a week. I know that's not a particularly nice to thing to hear someone say (I've gone four stone on this diet being able to 15 syns a day if I want to - I know many people are not so lucky) but I guess it just shows that whatever is stopping me from getting rid of the last 8lb is not because the diet doesn't work for me. It does. In the same way I got to be four stone overweight because I ate too much lazy, easy, unhealthy food and not because I had kids or have a thyroid problem or something. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Annie - thanks! I do need to tone. I need to whether I lose the 8lb or not. I've joined a gym but I'm ashamed to say I went once and didn't go back. It's becoming clearer and clearer to me that I do need to kick myself up the bum and get to the gym and probably stick to the plan in a weight loss way and not a maintenance way. Either that, or accept how I am now. Neither are particularly bad options, thankfully. Maybe I'm aiming too high and I should just give it up and accept myself at a healthy BMI and get over it all. I think, though, that you're probably right and I should let things be for a few months, come down hard if I gain but if I stay maintaining then make a decision about it in Summer if I want to lose any more.

Re class: well, I've moaned about this before, I'm afraid but I just hate going heh. I went every week for about three months and it worked because I was holding myself accountable in the same place at the same time, I was paying for the privilege and felt I only had myself to blame if the result wasn't positive.

However, that didn't stop me hating the woman who went on too much about herself and her life and the consultant who was frankly quite false and annoying and being embarrassed when a particular woman kept crying when she gained (quite often) and the consultant wouldn't just leave her be but would encourage her to speak publicly about how upset she was etc etc. I still weigh in myself at home at the same time same day every week and that works for maintenance. But maybe if I'm gonna carry on trying to lose, I need to go back to a class, even if not the one I was at before.

I know all of the above sounds a bit selfish and I know class works for many (most?) people who do Slimming World. And I'm happy to offer as much support as I can to folks trying damn hard to lose some weight: I know better than most how tough it can be. But classes are not for everyone, particularly 'image therapy' and I guess it just got a bit much after a few months of it all.

KJS - thanks! I remember noseying at your food diary a few months ago, hope it's all going okay for you.

Yep, the new fella I think is related to weight loss. Probably because I'm more confident and in-the-mind-stuff, but I confess I admit that I think it's cause I'm a bit hotter now I've lost weight :)

I'll drop you a PM and have a nosey at FF. I need to do something and maybe sticking to that 100 per cent for a couple of weeks is a good idea as a last ditch attempt to get rid of a few more pounds safe in the knowledge that the drama will be over and I can maintain after that and think about things again in the Summer. I hear it's pretty horrible though, so I make no promises other than to have a look at it! Heh

J'know, I think it's cool that this message board can help out with loads of practical things about diets and slimming and stuff - what to eat on a green day, will someone look at my food diary, how many syns are in this, how much have you lost doing it this way and so on - but I really think that the true value of this site can be displayed on this thread.

I know pretty much everything there is to know about Slimming World, including how to get over this problem - both the official advice from SW and stuff that others have done that has worked for them (although I always love hearing that stuff too if anyone has any suggestions I haven't heard yet!). But really, the best thing this site has offered me has been to hear from others that they've been in the same place before, get suggestions that don't appear in a SW book (like: sort your head out, give yourself a kick up the bum, do you really need to lose any more?) and get some support from likeminded folks.

So thanks. I really appreciate it.

Ste
x

Last edited:
Oh, and re pics.... ok! I'll upload some tomorrow!

Yay! Can't wait. Not just to have a good ogle at you (honest lol) but you are very inspiring and we've seen your loss in numbers it would be great to see it for ourselves. On the boards you've always been very good at helping and offering advice, so it's about time you got some in return.

Having done SW before and losing almost 9 stone (before putting nearly all of it back on!) One thing I found really quite difficult to accept was my size. I often still thought I was huge even though I wasn't. It was a case of self image. What your brain thinks you are isn't what other people see. We get so conscious of what our bodies look like and the shape and weight of them we can actually get a bit obsessed with it whether we realise it or not. Thats why I suggested trying to maintain for a couple of months while your brain catches up.

I totally understand about the gym! You would not get me there in a million years, skinny or not!

I really think it's time to start loving the new you that you are now and then 'tweaking' the adjustments as we head into summer :D

Totally understand about the reasons for not going to class. If I were you and felt I needed class I'd join a different one. Can't be doing with boo-hoo'ers every week!

Annie xx

One thing I found really quite difficult to accept was my size. I often still thought I was huge even though I wasn't. It was a case of self image. What your brain thinks you are isn't what other people see

Never a truer word was said. Once you've been big, it's so hard to think of your body as slim. Perhaps that's why so many of us put back on - our body image so so screwed that we really can't see the difference? I was one of the fattest of my friends, now I'm one of the slimmest - do I see myself that way? Whey no! I see a little, dumpy lass, with a big emphasis on the dumpy!

Northern, I'm looking forward to those photos! And if you hate the gym - don't blame you - why not try http://www.yogamazing.comhttp://www.yogamazing.com? Like the name says, it's a yoga class online, a podcast, and I can highly recommend it. You should see the muscles He Who Thinks He's Boss has after doing it. Phwoar!

Heh thanks!

I think you might be right re the not losing any more thing. I'm going to have a think about it over the next few days and go from there.

Cheers for that!

x

wow u look hot..!! well done your loss has been amazing!

Back