The superfree debate...............

stivesliz

Gold Member
Am writing this thread after reading another similar one.

I know that we are meant to have a third of superfree with all EE meals and there is an endless debate about how to have it - some consultants say it has to be with the meal, some say it can be taken in the form of fruit before the meal etc etc.

BUT .....................we had a visiting consultant a couple of weeks ago and she said that we have to have a third of superfree with ALL meals on ALL plans!!!!

This consultant is lovely but ever so strict so am not sure if this is official or whether she is just being over zealoius!

Any ideas?

In the 100 extra easy cook book some recipes don't include fruit or veg and it actually states have a bunch of grapes after ur meal!! X

That sounds very strict and if that's the case I'm failing miserably!! I can see the point that we should be eating the super free veg as its good for us, but to be honest when I do green days I'll have things like jacket potatoes and beans, and it works just fine.

I eat a fair bit of fruit to make up my 5 a day but too much fruit is probably bad for you as well, all that sugar!

Not on all plans surely. I know it is on extra easy but red and green plans only mentioned if u wanted to boost ur losses didn't they? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Donzy84 said:
Not on all plans surely. I know it is on extra easy but red and green plans only mentioned if u wanted to boost ur losses didn't they? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well I thought it was only on ee but she definitely said this- a new member then told me when I disputed it that it says it quite clearly in the front of the book????? Just wondered whether anybody else had been told this x

I used to think we didn't need the third sf on green but actually the book says it is recommended that we have it. On page 28 it says when discussing the green plan "Remember, for the best results fill your plate with 1/3 superfree food." So there we have it.

What cracks me up is that some consultants don't push it at all! The one meeting I went to she maybe mentioned it once and didn't make a big deal of it. For me (granted I do ee) it really is the main aspect of sw! My aunt made a sw dinner for myself and her tonight and it was pasta with sticky chicken. There was the tiniest bit of pepper and onion in the pasta, but then again she attends the group that I visited once!

My consultant says 1/3rd wth every plan too! Tbh, it's easy on red days to do this, green is more difficult, but I rarely do green days anyway

Oh my goodness I should be expelled from slimming world school :( I try my best to have third on my plate on e easy never occurred to me to eat fruit first??? As for red I don't have third and never do green I like meat too much :) neither of the two consultants I've ha have mentioned anything other than extra easy (to me anyway) x

Maybe they push the third super free on all plans to avoid confusing people who arent as familiar with red and green?

Personally I'm struggling with this as the moment - my taste buds have completely changed in pregnancy and I don't enjoy all my usual veg :( I'm making sure I get my five a day at least!

I can definitely see where she is coming from, it is a great idea to have at least one third of your plate superfree to bump up your 'five a day' and help control your weight by filling up on low calorie foods, but I definitely think she was being over zealous pushing it on the Red and Green days.

As far as I am aware, this is not part of the SW guidelines for the Red and Green plans (or at least it wasn't a year ago when I attended class as I am an at home follower now) and I for one follow red and green because I find it easier not to have to worry about getting my one third superfree in every meal although I do aim to try to get it in two out of three purely for the goodness of it! :)

Agree, it's a reccomendation, although more important for EE
I generally tend to eat a reasonable amount of superfree anyway, whichever plan I'm following, however, there are some days that it just wont do.... I don't always want salad or veg if I've decided on a green comfort meal of quorn sausage, SW chips and beans....., or some EE days I think I'll struggle, so I generally make up a big pan of s/free soup and have a bowl before my dinner.... it gives me the s/free, it's tasty, it's healthy, and more importantly it's filling, which is the whole reasoning behind 1/3 s/free on EE

Anyway - just me ;)

Hi. Although I started the plan on Green only, because I don't eat meat, I have been doing EE the past few weeks and have two pieces of fruit after every meal. I don't mind that because I love fruit anyway. I also think it's only a recommendation so 'you makes your choice'.
Soapy x

Well I have got to target on red and green, not good with veg or salad and both plans got me to where I want to be. However, I love fruit and have eaten loads of that. I also think its only a recommendation as on red and green you are healthy extra (ing) carbs, or protein depending which plan you chose, thereby limiting the portion size.I suppose at the end of the day if youre losing ok then carry on, if not then increase your superfree in whichever way you chose. It is interesting how different consultants have differing opinions though.

The powers that be at SW should make the whole 1/3 superfree issue crystal clear, so that all Consultants give the same information to all members.
I have never given the 1/3 superfree a thought, because I only do Green days. Some of my meals may fit the bill, others may not. But I thought the whole point of the 1/3rd superfree on EE was to make overeating less likely.

Exactly lardylady! With ee you are having carbs ie pots or pasta with meat or fish. On red or green you are limiting the amount you have to start with so with the 1/3rd superfree on ee you are making overeating less likely as you say. I think this one will run for some time yet ha ha

I think the 1/3 rd super free recommendation is drf designed to stop over eating. It's definitely easier to over eat on EE as you can have the carbs & protein, but tbh, I've seen plenty of people eat a mountain of pasta or a massive jacket with beans on a green day, which I always think - 'that could do with a nice salad to make it more balanced' :). So it's completely possible to over eat on all plans, hence why they recommend it on all plans.

Back