The Supersizers Go... Seventies Tonight 9:00pm

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV' started by KD, 10 June 2008 Social URL.

1. KD

KD Gone fishing

Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    The Supersizers Go... Seventies

Tuesday 10 June
    9:00pm - 10:00pm
    Giles Coren and Sue Perkins don't just sample diets from history in this series, they really romp about in them; they frolic drunkenly in the costumes, lifestyles and freaky foodstuffs of the past until they (and we) feel so bloated we're dying to get back to the present for a quiet prawn sandwich and a diet cola. This week the retro-grub is from the 1970s, so it's fare that many viewers will remember, but it's as unfathomable as something from the 17th century. Frozen and tinned convenience foods are everywhere: Angel Delight, Smash, Crispy Pancakes ("like eating babyfood out of a hot slipper," Coren notes) . . . But there are also Fanny Cradock's garish recipes, re-created here by chef Mark Hix, who can't hide his horror at "fish sandwich cake" and a breakfast dish involving cramming bacon, eggs, mushrooms and sherry into a big loaf. Best of all, we encounter Len Deighton's Action Cook Book, which from the sound of it could make any party go with a swing.

Looking forward to this! Does feel weird having a history programme from a time that just feels like yesterday:eek::D
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. KD

KD Gone fishing

Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    omg!!! She's wearing my anorak!!! I had that one. In fact probably still have it :D

Did you know that we ate about 750 calories a day more than today!!:eek: but we exercised more.....remember disco dancing :D

Obesity rates are 4.5 x higher now compared to the 70s.

Blimey, incredible that we were eating 750 calories more a day:eek:
  4. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

ha ha I just came on line to say about the disco dancing being the key!!! I missed the bit about them saying we ate more calories back then. Says it all doesn't it ... we sit on our bums watching the telly when we should be boogying the night away!
  5. IreneH

IreneH Gold Member

What memories. Could remember eating all those and often. How did i stay at 8 st during the seventies?

Irene xx
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.