Extra Easy The undesirable consequences of weightloss!

kaz3804

Silver Member
I this is not such a pleasant topic. But at almost 6st loss and almost at target I have a pretty large problem. I have masses of excess skin. I knew I would have it to some degree but this is bad. I have been trying to buy a swim suit and there are none can contain it all :(. I have had to settle for wearing a pair of "suck u in" knickers under to help hold it all in place. I have been exercising throughout. C25k and 30 day shred and I can even feel I have muscles under my flabby tummy!!! But nothing is reducing it. I also had 2 c sections which makes the excess so much more pronounced. I am so happy with my achievement and with my health now. But I'm starting to get really down about all the skin I literally look like a bean bag that's lost half it's beans. Has any one else had this issue? I have no tummy tuck/body lift option as quite frankly I quite simply don't have the money and can't be selfish enough to prioritise money in that way as I have 2 young kids and a hard working husband who come first!!! Anyone with any words of wisdom to help? Feeling pretty crappy about it :(. K

I have lost nearly 9st and have some loose skin on the bottom of my belly, and my bingo wings are awful but I just think, does it matter? At least I havnt got high blood pressure anymore, or diabetes on the way, and in plus size clothes, unable to walk far without getting out of breath, unable to wear skirts because top of legs rub together. So many things that make life so much better, even with the loose skin! I appreciate that you have had two kids, c sections and are older than me though (I'm 25) x

Kaz, have you just finished loosing? A friend of mine did weight watchers last year and lost 8 stone. When she finished she was devastated with the way her skin was to the point where I was concerned she had full blown depression. However, we were talking again about a month ago and though she says it is still not exactly pretty(in her eyes) it is much better as she has "settled into her skin" a bit since she moved from weight loss to maintenance.

i had a section and I think even without the weight loss you have had we are unfortunately left with a mummy flap as a result of that.

Well done on your weight loss, that is an inspiring amount.

Hi, I don't know if you would ever consider surgery but thought I would mention it is available on the NHS. There is certain criteria you have to meet and is often done on the basis that people have problems for example exercising or with skin breakdown and pain due to excess skin. If it is something you would consider you should ask your GP to refer to you to a plastic surgeon for an assessment xx

Thanks everyone. I am almost finished loosing only. 6 lb to go. I just feel with every lb I loose now it gets worse not better! Nice to know it Nat settle tho! I would consider surgery (I think I'd have to) but I didn't think there was any hope on nhs but yes I do think it's time I went to see the gp and investigate that route. It's just very disheartening after all this work to look like this!! Thank you everyone!

I have said this before, but after losing 8.5 stone, I have a fair bit of loose skin flapping away. i have bingo wingos and a flabby tum. But nobody but me sees them!! See your flabby bits as badges of honour- evidence that you had the willpower to lose as much weight as you have!

I have said this before, but after losing 8.5 stone, I have a fair bit of loose skin flapping away. i have bingo wingos and a flabby tum. But nobody but me sees them!! See your flabby bits as badges of honour- evidence that you had the willpower to lose as much weight as you have!

I do see it that way but now it's really getting the way if normal life. When I can't find a swimsuit to contain it all to take my 2 babies swimming and when I run or exercise it really restricts my movement and ends up chaffing and hurting. I'm not ashamed of the skin I'm proud I've come this far but.... I think it's just getting be more down than usual this week!!!

I worked with a lady who lost 7 stone ish and she was verging on suicidal but two years layer it has improved alot. It will never be perfect but its not as bad as it was two years ago. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

When I lost weight years ago (around 6st) I had lots of excess skin, arms, thighs, tummy, and I'm even bigger this time, so I know it'll be even worse when I've lost this, and I'm not looking forward to it. But I agree with all of the above, I felt a million times better with a droopy tummy strapped into a good bodysuit (shapewear was my saviour!) in a size 12-14 than I ever did in the size 22-24, so I'm looking forward to that side of it. :)

Have you tried looking for a bodysuit, something like this- Maidenform Easy-Up Minimiser Bodybriefer - Matalan can be great when you're self concious about a baggy belly.

What about a swimdress- Ladies Black Polka Dot Swimdress Bonmarché I got one recently and I felt much better getting in the pool with more covered, it's worth a try. :)

Hi Kaz, I feel your pain! In my 20s I lost 10 stones with WW and the most disappointing thing of all was that I felt my body looked better naked before than it did after as at least it was all filled out! I had so much loose skin and went to see my GP who referred me to an NHS surgeon. They said they could do the op on the NHS but there was a 2 year waiting list. This was in the early 90s - things are probably different now. Myself and my OH had some savings and decided to use the money to pay for the surgery instead as I was so hung up about it. I had worked so hard to lose the weight and imagined I would have this lovely body by the end of it.

It cost about £3,500 then and I had three separate operations. First to remove the skin on my stomach - the surgeon said when they released the flap of skin it hung down to below my knees (too much info - sorry!), they had to cut a new hole for my belly button. The second operation removed my bingo wings down to elbow and removed skin from my sagging boobs, and the third removed skin from the inside of my thighs and from my midrift area. So now I have one long scar from hip to hip along my pubic line, a scar around my 'new' navel, scars on the inside of my thighs, scars under by boobs and around my nipples and scars down the back of my arms. I looked like a patchwork quilt naked, but at least it felt more comfortable. Over the last 20 years I gained wait back and have now lost 7 stones with Exante Diet. This time the skin has gone back to how it was before, I still have some loose skin in areas that weren't operated on first time around - like under-arm areas, but everywhere else has stayed fine this time.

For me I knew I had to get the skin removed as, like you said, it just gets in the way. My surgeon told me that different people have different amounts of elasticity in there skin... some with go back, others will stretch and not return to where it should be. Exercise will tone muscle but not tone skin.

My advice would be to see your GP, if you think about what you have likely saved the NHS by tacking your weight problem yourself, I think there should be more post-weightloss surgery available - I imagine it's cheaper than a bypass op!

Good luck with it Kaz, I do know how you feel. x

I have plenty of loose skin too, have done for about 10 years. Yes, it gets me down but I've just learned to live with it (and the stares).

My friend had a tummy tuck in Prague last year and it was much cheaper than the UK. She is very happy and has a flat tum.

Definitely see your GP and ask for a plastic surgery referral and explain the problems as you have above, I work in a hospital and have seen lots of people have surgeries after weight loss, most people don't realise it is available, good luck xx

I have no advice but I worry about this too, I would like to lose another 5 stone and have also had 2 c sections so have a flabby belly. I am scared what my skin will be like in the end.

I have excess skin from 2 very large babies, I know the skin will get worse as I drop the 2 stone I want rid of but my husband has agreed to pay for surgery for me. Perhaps you should consider this option too, I have tried creams etc, they don't work :(

Hi Kaz

I also lost 6.5 stone and was lucky enough to receive funding from the NHS for a tummy tuck. I had the Op in October last year. My doctor told me there is a criteria you must meet ( unless the excess skin is causing serious issues )
You have to have a BMI of under 28 and maintain this weight for 2 years.
Be a non smoker ( I've never smoked )
Completed your family ( I'm 45!)
The skin must cause physical issues ( I was constantly sore, especially in summer and it restricted my ability to exercise )

If you are close to target and don't smoke and aren't planning more children I'd go and see you GP now. My GP first wrote to my NHS trust when I first reached target, I was turned down as I hadn't maintained that weight for long enough but after 2 years I went back to my GP who wrote to the Trust again, I was accepted.

I know different trusts have different rules and some are stricter than others but it is possible to get this surgery on the NHS, if your GP is behind you.

Wow thank you everyone for ur replies!! I am so surprised with the fact nhs do offer help and I am def contacting my doctor this week to investigate! I have finished my family (2 little girls!) my hubby had snip just before Xmas! And u think a 2 yr maintenance makes a lot of sense! Thanks everyone feeling a lot better about it all today!

Back