The Veganomicon

Hello!

My name is Becky, I'm 31 and live in Nottingham with my boyfriend. I have an office-based day job, I sing and play guitar in a horror-rock band and I also play roller derby with Nottingham's Hellfire Harlots.

It's been a while since I've been to a slimming club, been on a diet or joined/posted on a support forum but I've been struggling to lose any weight on my own unless I get terribly stressed and stop eating. I've always had a longing to be 10 stone, as it's a nice even number and seems to be a healthy-ish weight for my height (5ft 4), so on 1st March I'm going to my local club and I'm going to sign up for a 6 week countdown.

I've been vegan since 25/11/09 and love it. I always cook from scratch at home and do all my own baking too. If you want any good animal-product-free recipes just ask :)

I love to exercise. I do 2 to 3 sessions of roller derby training per week and 3-4 sessions at the gym too, providing I don't have a pulled muscle or an injury. I seem to have had a lot of those over the last few months! A badly bruised knee, pulled thigh muscles and currently a sore Achilles tendon.
I've signed up with some of my fellow skaters to do a 5k charity run in April so I've got to start training now for it. I'm going to use the Couch to 5k programme as it's meant to get you to the 5k point in two months.

Lately I've had some compliments (even from a stranger at one point!) on my weight, even though my actual weight hasn't changed. Apparently I'm looking a bit more trim lately. Hopefully it'll continue :)

I never know how to end a post like this! So I'll just say goodbye for now.

('Veganomicon' is a vegan cook book by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. They are the best vegan chefs going and their books are full of brilliant, delicious, easy to follow recipes.)

Last edited:
I finally joined my local group! Admittedly it was a little later than anticipated purely because I've been so busy this month, but I weighed in at 1lb lighter than I thought I would which was nice.

Today was my first day and as luck would have it I'm ill. I've got a stinking cold that has left me tired and achey so I've done little but sleep today. Still, my first days food diary goes like this:

Breakfast - 1 slice wholemeal bloomer (B) with Pure sunflower spread, hummus (B) and 1/2 tsp sweet chilli sauce.

Lunch - syn free potato wedges and baked beans with 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (I've yet to get the proper syn value of this but I know it's 22 1/2 syns for the whole tub, I just need to weigh out 1 tbsp and work out the syn value) and 1 bourbon biscuit.

Afternoon treat - 1 bourbon biscuit (3 syns. Pete brought it to me because I looked so pathetic)

Dinner - will be syn free chilli and brown rice.

Supper - a pack of Oat So Simple (cos we have them in the cupboard at the moment and I need a little bit of comfort food) made with soy milk (A)

Drinks: tea, squash, water, sugar free lemonade.

Total syns - 14

Last edited:
Hi Becky :D
Welcome to slimming world! Hope you're enjoying it! I have been a member for 2 years on and off but have only really got serious since the beginning of January and I'm loving it :)

I have a recipe for red pepper hummus which is syn-free if you would like, its;
a tin of chickpeas (with most of water drained but some left in)
clove of garlic
juice of 1 lemon
salt
paprika
a red pepper

all whizzed up in a food processor :)

Also if you get Tiger Tiger's red salad dressing (I know they sell it in Tesco) it's exactly the same as sweet chilli sauce and only 1 syn per tbsp so its a bit less (not sure if its Vegan-friendly- but worth a check :) )

Hope you're having a fab day and enjoy your weekend!

Lucy xx

You exercise so much hun, wish I could do the same! I've seen roller derby stuff on CSI a few times and wife swap USA - is it as rough as it looks!? Looks fun though :D

Good luck on your SW journey. x

Thanks for the tip on chilli sauce and for the hummus recipe :) I've got all the bits in to make hummus but have never tried to. I'll give it a go sooner or later.

Roller derby doesn't feel so rough once you're doing it as you're taught how to fall safely. There's a lot of jostling and shoving but it's quite rare that anyone gets seriously hurt (notwithstanding the odd pulled muscle or sprain), although having said that the serious injuries are pretty spectacular.
It's amazing fun! I don't think I could ever give up skating.
I've not been exercising so much recently though as I've been poorly this week and was ever so busy for the two weeks before. As soon as I shift this cold I'll get back to it. If you ever fancy it there's a friendly team in Bristol called the Harbour Harlots - they'll teach you how to skate and everything else you need to know :)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bristol-Harbour-Harlots/126058504109312

Ugh, I've been feeling so very ill today but had to go to a roller derby masterclass event to provide first aid and do some refereeing duties. As I was unprepared and feeling rotten, naturally I've gone way over my syns and have currently had 23 so far. The day isn't over yet either!

Oh well, I can make up for it throughout the rest of the week.

*note to self - Marigold Nutritional Yeast is 1/2 syn per tbsp.

Last edited:
Ugh :(
I'm struggling again a bit today, mainly because I'm feeling rather poorly. Nothing is right today :( I've managed to have a bath but am still in my jimjams. I hope this cold clears off very soon, I'm pretty sure I'm unbearable to be around at the moment.

I've eaten:
Porridge (A and B)
Vegetable rice
Roast potatoes and baked beans
2 rice cakes with peanut butter and jam
2 kiwi fruit
1 slice toast (B) with jam
Polenta with tomato sauce (free)
Homemade custard (A)
Total syns: 11 1/2

Much better than yesterday but my tummy has been sore for most of the day and my sense of taste/smell is right off. Hopefully things will be a lot better tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yikes! I didn't realise it had been so long since I'd posted here, and that I said I'd never give up skating - I haven't skated since March!

I'm going to Japan in October and am determined not to be a chubby Western stereotype so will be picking SW up again at my very next available class (a week on Wednesday I think).

Hehe came across your diary when searching for nutritional yeast syns! :) I do derby too, well at least I did but off with broken ankle at the moment! :( oh no did you lose the derby love? x

Back