The Wedding Dress Thread

JezVonSavage

Lost in the Supermarket
Inspired by the shoes thread!

I am unable to post a photo of my wedding dress as it is being custom made and is nowhere in existence at present, but I'd love to see everyone elses whether you have already worn it, are planning to wear it or aren't planning to wear one but know which one it would be iykwim?

The dress that came second to mine was Ian Stuart's Swan Lake
RR_Swan_Lake.jpg

I very nearly got it but I was put off by someone else trying it on in the shop. She was 6ft and like a bean pole and she did the dress so much more justice than I did, "elegant" does not describe me unfortunately.

Oooo - i love a good wedding thread :)

Here's mine - pretty simple tbh - it had to fit in hand luggage which rather limited my choices!

Attachments

• image-1932421226.jpg
    image-1932421226.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 265
Aw it's lovely though. Where did you get married??

I should really get on with planning mine- it's in 6 months and I've don't hardly anything :rolleyes:

And I love a good wedding thread too!

Long time since I wore mine, 1989, it was a Pronovias dress, and will get my son to scan a picture in for me to post.

I was hoping we'd get some vintage ones Ginlin :)

I know that it's really a wedding dress thread... but just wanted to share a couple of money saving tips from when I got married... if that's ok?

1. We designed our own wedding invitations/order of service/place cards and took the design to Prontaprint. Got the whole lot done for MUCH CHEAPER than other invites we had seen (plus it made everything much more personalised). It also helped that neither of us could find a design that we could agree on - so designing our own saved some arguments!!

2. Prices of 'wedding cakes' was shocking!! We found somewhere that made a really nice tasting cake - but made more comedy/21st/hen party style cake designs. We got that bakery to make a 'kitchen cake' (ie. a large rectangular slab of cake - which we got them to plain ice). We found another bakery to make us our 'perfect' looking wedding cake (but would have been too small for 130 people). This 'perfect' cake looked great on all the photos and was shared amongst the family. The kitchen cake was cut up (the evening before) and packed, ready to give people on the day. This meant that even if people left early - they still got cake!!

Oh - on the boxing up cake - fancy boxes were really expensive too - we went to the local chemist and asked if he could sell us some plain white boxes (10p each!!) which we decorated with a printed 'thank you for attending' labels and some ribbon.

All prices and comparisons are subject to change (well it was 10 years ago!!)

I know that it's really a wedding dress thread... but just wanted to share a couple of money saving tips from when I got married... if that's ok?

1. We designed our own wedding invitations/order of service/place cards and took the design to Prontaprint. Got the whole lot done for MUCH CHEAPER than other invites we had seen (plus it made everything much more personalised). It also helped that neither of us could find a design that we could agree on - so designing our own saved some arguments!!

2. Prices of 'wedding cakes' was shocking!! We found somewhere that made a really nice tasting cake - but made more comedy/21st/hen party style cake designs. We got that bakery to make a 'kitchen cake' (ie. a large rectangular slab of cake - which we got them to plain ice). We found another bakery to make us our 'perfect' looking wedding cake (but would have been too small for 130 people). This 'perfect' cake looked great on all the photos and was shared amongst the family. The kitchen cake was cut up (the evening before) and packed, ready to give people on the day. This meant that even if people left early - they still got cake!!

Oh - on the boxing up cake - fancy boxes were really expensive too - we went to the local chemist and asked if he could sell us some plain white boxes (10p each!!) which we decorated with a printed 'thank you for attending' labels and some ribbon.

All prices and comparisons are subject to change (well it was 10 years ago!!)

On a similar vein - getting married abroad is much cheaper, unless you spend loads on getting your family out there too (which frankly defeats the object IMO :)). Our wedding cost £4000. For this we got.
2 weeks in a 5 star All inclusive hotel in Jamaica, including flight upgrades.
A Wedding on the beach with bouquets for me & buttonholes for my hubby, best man, and my granddad.
A Wedding Cake
A Private Evening Wedding Reception for 50 people (though we only had 20 odd there) including 4 bottles of champagne
A room upgrade to a suite (which was AMAZING)
A few spa treatments for me (bonus!)
A phtographer for 2 hours, and 20 photos. More could be bought if you wanted.

And the best part? It took us about 30 mins to organise it all when we got there :)

4271_507548080268_284700310_347343_-1.jpg
My dress was by Alfred Angelo, with cornflour blue.

2nd pic to show that the colour went right down the train of the dress (I was holding the end)
confetti-1.jpg

228446_9461180293_824825293_729160_1549_n.jpg

beautiful dresses ladies!! this was mine and like the rest of my wedding it was lilac lol :)

n575336899_1377950_1630.jpg

Debenhams Debut prom dress, plain veil onto which I sewed my own pearls (REAL ones mind you, freshwater), hand made corset which I still wear from time to time. flowers came from tesco the night before the wedding.
that's me, hubby and his family.

and no, we didn't marry in the cathedral (a neo pagan and an atheist? no way). we walked from the registry office to the cathedral and had the photos done there lol. L-R jim's dad, jim's older brother, jim, me, jim's younger brother... and my dad can just be seen behind my father in law too lol.

these two are my favorite photos though, this is me and jim just after having our first married kiss

225120_5618006899_575336899_321656_6771_n.jpg

and this one is jim's sudden realisation of what he's married lol

253_25417616899_575336899_1377845_5664_n.jpg

Ooooo Im excited to find this thread!! We have just booked our wedding, and its at beginning of July this year. We are working to a very tight budget, so loved reading the posts about saving a few bob.

Not sure about my dress yet, but would love something simple but yet beautiful....cant wait to start trying some on!! lol xx

Flibsey, I am sure I know your OH from somewhere??? Where do you live?? Was he ever in a band? Not that I want to bombard you with questions in a scary way, but I am SURE I know him from somewhere.

Oooh here's mine!

It was custom made but was based on an Ella Bridal gown!

Attachments

• CGP_7335.jpg
    CGP_7335.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_4805.jpg
    IMG_4805.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 263
  • CGP_6952MOD.jpg
    CGP_6952MOD.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 229
no, he's never been in a bad as far as I know lol. he comes from Wickford.

Well I've never been to Wickford (Essex??) so that's not how I know him!! I used to live with a guy in a pretty successful band and we would constantly have other bands squatting in our living room on tour; I'm constantly meeting people who vaguely remember me (and I them) from the drunken band nights we hosted! Thought it might be that.

Aaaagh thus us so exciting! I'm off to try on wedding dresses with my min tomorrow! I'd live a Suzanne Neville or Emma Victoria Payne dress but until the lotto numbers come up I think they're a little out of my price range!

Haven't booked anything yet (we only got engaged at the start of December) but I figure it's never too early to try on pretty dresses!

Aiming for a September 2013 wedding, that's assuming we haven't both murdered our mothers by that point, the fact we aren't fussed about a church wedding is proving to be quite a contentious issue!

xxx

So many excited typos in that last post! Im going with my mum not my min! Lol!

the fact we aren't fussed about a church wedding is proving to be quite a contentious issue!

I'm suffering with this one too, regardless of the fact that none of us have been to church (mothers included) since we were Christened!!

JezVonSavage said:
I'm suffering with this one too, regardless of the fact that none of us have been to church (mothers included) since we were Christened!!

Oh yes - had to deal with that one too!

JezVonSavage said:

I read something the other day that said most Catholics only venture into a church 3 times: when they're carried (christened) married, or buried!

Back