They still say I need to lose another 2 1/2 stone... But what are the benefits?

gazter

needs to get a life
According to the bmi charts, specifically on here:
BMI Calculator

i put in my height and weight, it said I need to lose another 2st 7. If I told people I was planning on doing so they would be aghast, thinking I had gone from one eating disorder to another. I even feel myself that I would feel unnaturally thin (for me) at that weight.

Interested in hearing from people who had reached a similar point to me (bmi 26.6) and carried on through to mid range of healthy bmi. Did they have any noticeable health improvements/ other improvements?

I think go with what you think is right - if you look great and feel great, then why do it? I dont agree with BMI myself and will be going by clothing sizes myself x

I've just clicked on that link and it tells me that although I have a healthy BMI now, I could still lose 2st 12lbs and be healthy, and that it would have various health benefits. If I lost that, I would be 9st 6lbs. I am currently 11st 4lbs and a size 10/12. There is no way I can ever imaging being, or wanting to be 9st 6lbs as I think I would look too thin.

Go with what feels right for you - don't feel you have to follow whatever is says online (particularly as that website seems to be advertising a weight loss regime - better for them to tell you you still need to lose more).

According to the bmi charts, specifically on here:BMI Calculatori put in my height and weight, it said I need to lose another 2st 7. If I told people I was planning on doing so they would be aghast, thinking I had gone from one eating disorder to another. I even feel myself that I would feel unnaturally thin (for me) at that weight.Interested in hearing from people who had reached a similar point to me (bmi 26.6) and carried on through to mid range of healthy bmi. Did they have any noticeable health improvements/ other improvements?
Pardon the French but Bollox to BMI..... MY b/s BMI says hes over weight but he isnt hes got a lot of muscle! tou might have also buildt muscle if youve been working out and that does weigh more than fat and BMI never take that into consideration!!

I would say stop when ur happy with urself, or it may become obsessive, I want to b a size 12, when I get there I'm gunna stop. My healthy weight range is apparently 8st 8lb -10st 8lb. I don't imagine I will b any where in there when I'm a size 12. Happiness is what we r all searching for and u have achieved so much, y should we listen to a number?? Afterall that is all it is x

Apparently I could weigh 7st 6 and be healthy but I personally imagine I'd be skeletal. I'm not happy with how I look yet so will keep going but it won't be to the lowest healthy bmi.
As others have said, it's about how you feel. BMI doesn't account for many factors. I reckon if you're close to it and happy with your appearance then you should stop

I work with GPs who were telling me that Whilst BMI is good to get an idea of a healthy range, it was never actually intended to be used for individuals but to measure populations, so like others have said, if you feel happy and healthy stay with what you're at. My lowest healthy weight is 7st 12, I'm already a size 10/12 so think I would look awful at that weight, and pretty sure my mother would have me carted off to hospital as she already thinks I've lost too much!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Have to agree with everyone else, BMI doesn't work for everyone, I'm at about 22.5 and want to get to 22 which is ''healthy'' but that suits me, it wouldn't suit some other people. I could still loose another stone or so and be in the healthy weight range but I don't think I'd look healthy.

Just stop when your happy.

BMI is, at best, unreliable. I'm kinda stuck with it unfortunately as I need to have my BMI at the right point to access the treatment I need. If I were to go all the way down to BMI 20 I would have to be about 8 stone and to be frank - I just can't imagine that!

Stick where you are happy. With the amount of weight you have lost already the health benefits are enormous!

Bmi doesn't take into account your muscle mass, or body shape-plus that calculator you used didn't even ask whether you were male or female or anything. If you think losing another 2.5 stone will make you ill, don't do it jut because a website /chart on the Internet told you to!!! It's your body

Last edited:
A lot of us ladies go by what size clothes we want to get into e.g...... I want to get into a comfortable size 8/10, at the moment Im a comfortable 10. Are you comfortable in the size jeans you wear...waist 34, chest 42 for example?
As Welshtrigger said your BMI doesn't take into consideration your muscle mass etc......my husband is 6 foot & 14 stone with a BMI the same as yours & not an ounce of fat on him, he has very muscly legs.....could he afford to lose a 'healthy' 2 stone 8lbs, I think not. All the calculator is telling you, is what you could healthily lose to stay in the 'healthy' bracket. Everyone is individual, so you have to make that decision by how you feel & look.
But well done on such a massive weight loss, you must be very proud of yourself x

I just put my stats into it. I'm already 8st 12lbs and have a bmi of 22

Andddd it'd telling me I can lose another 1st 9lbs!!' That would make me 7st 3lbs!!!! Wayy to thin. I use to be 7st 10lb and even that was to thin. :/

According to the bmi charts, specifically on here:
BMI Calculator

i put in my height and weight, it said I need to lose another 2st 7. If I told people I was planning on doing so they would be aghast, thinking I had gone from one eating disorder to another. I even feel myself that I would feel unnaturally thin (for me) at that weight.

Interested in hearing from people who had reached a similar point to me (bmi 26.6) and carried on through to mid range of healthy bmi. Did they have any noticeable health improvements/ other improvements?

A bigger winky lol! Like the thread the other week ;)
only joking Hun.
i don't like the way BMI works out your weight, it seems too silly to me I'd say go for what you are happy at xx

A bigger winky lol! Like the thread the other week ;)
only joking Hun.
i don't like the way BMI works out your weight, it seems too silly to me I'd say go for what you are happy at xx

Now there's a thought. 2 1/2 stone equals 35 lbs equals another inch...

That thing is just stupid. I put in my current details and it told me to lose 2 stone and 2lbs. I then input my target weight and it said I should lose 3stone from there. It makes no sense.

i rememeber reading somewhere that bmi isnt accurate but to take ur measurements, spacifically the waist? because even tho you could have an unhealth bmi, your measurements say otherwise. all our bodies are different, and stores fat in various places.... i hope im making sense...=\

i rememeber reading somewhere that bmi isnt accurate but to take ur measurements, spacifically the waist? because even tho you could have an unhealth bmi, your measurements say otherwise. all our bodies are different, and stores fat in various places.... i hope im making sense...=\

I've heard that as well, which makes complete sense as you often see people who weigh more but look slimmer then others. I can't remember what the waist measurements are meant to be though

Well im 15st and to be honest i cant see me being able to lose a deal more. I should be 13st 2lbs to be at the top of my BMI and to be honest i think i would make myself ill if i got that low. Loads of people dont believe me when i tell them im 15st they already think i look 13.5st - 14st. I do have loose skin though which when i get it removed i dont think will make a massive difference as there is no fat there just skin and i dont think it would weigh more than 7lbs total.

Just do whats right for you Gaz, so long as your healthy and happy mate thats all that matters.

I've read LOTS about what a healthy weight is. I have dis-morphia and it's very hard for me to know if I'm looking healthy or not- and as it changes within the same day I need something to help !
The waist thing is the latest advice -it's to do with heart disease and the incidence of cancer I think. The rule is that to be a healthy weight your waist measurement should be half your height ( at most.) So for example, I am 5ft 10 inches + 70 ins. To be healthy my waist measurement should never exceed 35 inches. By this measurement I was 'healthy' months ago, but by BMI, I've only been healthy for a couple of weeks !
The article I read stated that the waist to height ratio is an accurate indicator of a healthy weight regardless of body size, age, race or gender. So, if you are apple shaped ( carry your weight round your middle and have thinner arms and legs) it's still a predictor of health because research shows that the middle is the most dangerous place to carry your weight.
BMI charts are not accurate for people under 18 yrs, shorter than 5ft tall or athletes ( as the muscle mass obscures figure). Most BMI charts say this in small writing somewhere! Outside of that group they are still a really rough guide and based on old statistics.
An athlete might weigh 13 stone and have a 34 inch waist whilst an non-athlete of the same height and gender might weigh the same but have a 40 inch waist (because fat is less dense than muscle and a pound of fat is larger, not heavier, than a pound of muscle).
So to summarise- the waist to height thing is a much better guide to what a healthy weight is but BMI is a useful guide for non-athletic, tall white people.
I've had to use it to set my goal, as has another poster above, as I have a medical condition that might need future treatment which I won't get if my BMI is over 25.
Phew 1 LONG POST. hOPE IT'S USED SOME CALORIES AND ALSO IS HELPFUL
XX

I do feel i have a big belly still. Though it is nothing compared to what it was. Doing the different measurements to determine body fat i seem to have anywhere between 20% and 24%.

I dont feel a huge desire to lose a lot more. This week I am introducing more foods that i was avoiding in the past, to try and reach an equilibrium for my weight.

I am only two pounds off the new target that I set having fallen through my first one like a stone in a pond...

Back