Thickening sauces

Hi
I've made a sausage casserole today but the gravy is quite runny. What do you think the best thing to thicken it with, would be?
Thanks in advance

Hi

Ive read on here that some people use instant mash to thicken sauces ?? ive never tried it but hope that helps :)

Ooops ok :eek: , im afraid thick gravy is one of my down falls so if you find anything out that would be great :)

xx

My sisters uses cornflour to thicken her sauces. It's 3.5syns for a tablespoon :)

Yeah i always use lots n lots of cornflour but its not worth the syns so will be trying the instant mash when i join :)

Is the instant mash any good ?? does it clog together ?? :confused:

xx

I've never heard of this instant mash before, what brand is it? Where do you buy it?

misskiki said:
I've never heard of this instant mash before, what brand is it? Where do you buy it?

There are loads of brands of instant mash available on the Market-smash is the most popular, can't believe you've not heard of instant mash!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

The sainsburys value instant mash is about 20p or something for a big bag and you only need a couple of spoonfuls to thicken things with it. I have used it for soups and stews and it works perfectly. Sprinkle it over, stir, see how things are, sprinkle a bit more over, win. Wont be free on red but for EE and Green is an excellent syn free substitute for cornflour.

On red days I use cauliflower to thicken sauces by mixing cooked cauliflower in with your basic sauce and whizzing in the blender.

Thanks everyone :D

Where there's a will..... said:
It's the symbol isn't it but they never show up on the app. Not sure what symbol it is tho.

It was more the fact the post said ha ha! Wasn't sure which bit was funny!!

Back