Things that keep your mind of food

Bernadette and mum

Hi everyone, it seems to me like most if not all of our biggest sabatogers is emotional/comfort eating. Today after weigh in were I lost 1.5lbs (and was very pleased with) I decided to treat myself to an extra HEB which then turned into 3 HEB's which then turned into popcorn (which i just needed to go along with a movie!!) which turned into a monster splurge, the more I ate the more annoyed I felt which resulted in me just eating more and more and more!!

So I thought it would be a good idea to put together a list of things that help distract us from cravings, eating out of boredom, or emotional eating, so please share your tips! :)

I've been reading the beck diet solution and in there it teaches you to reply to any sabotaging thoughts. So you think 'this one chocolate bar won't matter I need it I've had a bad day' you should reply with 'this chocolate bar will take me way over my syns, it might make me feel better while I'm eating it but I'll feel worse afterwards. Im not hungry, I don't need it I'll find something that will cheer me up like calling a friend or painting my nails'

I know it sounds a bit crazy and it takes time to get used to but it's helping me to give myself advice like I would to someone else.

jaylou said:
Knitting!!!

The time passes and you can't eat and knit!

Crochet! Same as Jaylou can't eat and crochet and you have something lovely to show for it!

kim63 said:
Go for a run or cycle helps with my appetite as I tend not to have one afterwards!

Walking and running is a great idea but not so good after dark!!!! That's why I knit :)

I used to crave like mad but i have started listening to Paul McKenna cd a few times a week and its helps me not to crave. I still have sweet things but not out of my syn allowence like before xx

a can of pepsi max, take lil sips on an evening always helps me =]

A really hot bath, I mean hot that makes you sweat!! It helps your metabolism, passes time and I find i'm not hungry for a good hour or 2 after.

I agree with Kim on the exercise front, I always thought going to the gym would make me hungrier. It seems to have curbed my appetite. Other than that I have nothing as I tend to spend the rest of the day thinking of what I'm going to munch next! Oh to be a person who has always had normal eating habits and weighed a 'normal' weight.

I try to always keep free food to hand because somehow it is the fear of being hungry that keeps my mind on food...at work I take lots of fruit with me.
The other night I really felt like buying loads of chocolate and wine at the supermarket. Instead I bought myself a magazine as a calorie-free treat!!
It is good to hear everyone else's strategies too!

Knitting!!!

The time passes and you can't eat and knit!

I really want to learn how to knit but I'm useless at things like that and don't want to fork out loads of money for the stuff if I'm just going to be hopeless :/ might have to treat myself when I get a job and sit on an evening practising

I really want to learn how to knit but I'm useless at things like that and don't want to fork out loads of money for the stuff if I'm just going to be hopeless :/ might have to treat myself when I get a job and sit on an evening practising

Check your local charity shops for wool and needles. Also local libraries sometimes run knitting groups so they can help you learn xxxx

Check your local charity shops for wool and needles. Also local libraries sometimes run knitting groups so they can help you learn xxxx

I'll keep an eye out, its something I've always wanted to do so should really try and get started with it. Thank you for the advice :) xxx

Loving all these suggestions thanks xx

Might have to try that book browsie, sounds good to me! I've tried Paul McKenna before but just didn't seem to do it for me :(

You can get it on amazon. I'm really into it at the moment and do feel like it's really making me think bout what I'm putting in my mouth and why.

I cross stitch! Keeps me busy and particularly at this time of year I usually have lots of projects to get through.

Back