Things to do in Rome?

Clareel

Persistence not perfection
My lovely OH has booked 2 nights in Rome for my birthday at the end of the month, neither of us have been to Italy before and I'm really excited!!

Just wondering has anyone been and what are the best things to do with only having 2.5 days there (we arrive about 3pm Thursday, flight back is 10pm Saturday).

We both want to visit the Vatican but other than that not sure what to go for as there it seems like there's loads to fit in!

X

You can get an all day train/tube.bus ticket for 9 euros, so you can get to all the main sites. We were there in September and the Trevie Fountain was lovely. It is very expensive to eat out so hopefully you are booked into the Hotel to eat. Maybe do one of the hop on hop off tours. Have fun.

I went to Rome in 2010 & loved it! I stayed Thurs - Mon so we had 3 full days to sightsee.

We went on one of the tour buses (they nearly always have deals going) which are hop on/off & they stop everywhere you could want to go! They supply you with earphones which give info as to exactly whats around you at the time.

The Vatican was great, my favourite was the Sistene Chapel = amazing! I imagine you may do that too as they're next to each other.

I really enjoyed the Roman Forum, its really interesting & I got some fantastic photos at the Colosseum.

Above all else, make sure you rest your feet from all that walking & pop into the lovely little cafe's for a coffee & cake :) The food there is to die for!

A friend of mine was in Rome recently and she saved lots of time by booking popular places, like the Vatican, in advance online.

I did this for the Uffizi in Florence a few years ago and just whisked past all the queues!

Have a look at the tourist website for Rome and see what's available.

A friend of mine was in Rome recently and she saved lots of time by booking popular places, like the Vatican, in advance online.

I did this for the Uffizi in Florence a few years ago and just whisked past all the queues!

Have a look at the tourist website for Rome and see what's available.

Good idea! The queues for the Vatican were crazy!

can definitely recommend doing one of the guided tours around the Colusseum. It's a great place to look around but u understand more with info from the guides. We just picked up one of the ones roaming around outside and we also got a guide of the Forum thrown in the price too!
Must do the Trevi fountain to throw ur coin in! ;)
x

Rome is a really walkable city and a lot of the main attractions are free such as the Trevi Fountain, Forum and Pantheon.
I think it it would be a shame to only eat in the Hotel as there are some great places which aren't too expensive if you wander slightly off the beaten path.

I was in Rome at the start of December and had the most amazing time!

Definitely do the colosseum and roman forum, the Vatican is out of this world and well worth paying for a tour guide, you get to jump all the queues and all admissions are included in the price. We paid EUR45 each for the guided tour which lasted about 3 1/2 hours and was worth every penny!

The Spanish steps are a perfect place to people watch and see some great views of the city, although I may be slightly biased about that as that's where my OH proposed to me so it's always going to be very special to us!

Mainly I'd say just enjoy it, as someone else has said the city is very walk able so make sure you enjoy the incredible food and walk lots for body magic!

xxx

There is an incredible restaurant near the trevi fountain called chianti. They do the most amazing sharing platter of cured meat, cheeses, oils and breads, best meal I've ever had!!
xx

Ooh don't forget to get an authentic Italian ice cream too......Sit by the Trevi with an ice cream and watch the world go by. We went in March for the second time....it's a lovely city, and everything is close....not too far to walk :)

I LOVE Rome - one of my favourite cities in the world.

As others have said, a tour of the Colosseum is well worth doing, and if you want to go in the Vatican (which I would recommend) & the Sistine Chapel, go really early.

The Trevi fountain is lovely.

The Pantheon is a pretty amazing building to go into - it's one of the quicker things to do in Rome but I think is a must-see.

If you're looking for somewhere cheaper to eat, there's an area of Rome within walking distance of the Vatican etc called Trastevere (pronounced trast-ev-er-aye if you want to ask for a cab there!) & the food in the restaurants there is a amazing & cheap - hence why that's where all the locals spend their time.

Try to have a good wander around the main tourist sights in the evening too as it's such a pretty city when it's all lit up. Equally if you get up really early one morning it's a good time to see the sights & get some good photos when there won't be another 2000 people in the background of them! :)

Have an amazing time!

I agree with all the above! I love Rome and there's so much fun stuff to do!

It may be a bit chilly, but IF your not on your diet and you like ice cream, there is an amazing ice cream place down one of the little streets by the pantheon... If you have your back to the pantheon it's down a little street on the forward right hand corner of the piazza - its amazing! I'd say nearly hundred different flavours.... When I flew on shorthaul flights I used to always go here....hmmmm nutella flavour!!! Now if your sticking to your diet steer clear!!!!!!

Have a lovely time! :)

Wow thanks guys some amazing ideas there! Especially the guided tours and booking things online I never would have thought of doing that :rolleyes:

We're staying in a B&B so will be eating out for our lunch and tea, will definitely try some of the places you have mentioned :D

I'm not going to be following the diet as it's only 3 days and it's my birthday! Can't wait to try proper Italian gelato!

Thanks again everyone :)

The one other bit of advice I would give you is not to eat somewhere that doesn't give you clear prices. We got charged EUR24 for 2 coffees and 2 ice creams at one place :-0
They see your a tourist and inflate the price so make sure you always see a menu with prices!

Have an amazing time, so jealous, I wish I was going back!

How wonderful, you'll have a lovely time :)

We went in Feb 2011 for 3 days and walked for miles each day and saw everything we wanted to on foot.

I would recommend buying a guidebook, we used this one:

Pocket Rough Guide Rome (Pocket Rough Guides): Amazon.co.uk: Martin Dunford: Books

The Colosseum at night is beautiful, the Vatican Museum (which houses the Sistine Chapel) is the best in Rome and a guided tour of the Vatican itself was well worth the money.

If you fancy something completely different, check out the church called the Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini (a truly macabre experience) and/or Largo di Torre Argentina (a square holding the ruins of Pompey's theatre, but also bizzarely a cat sanctuary!).

All the things the others have mentioned too are fantastic (Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon), you certainly won't be bored.

We ate out every night and could always find somewhere reasonable.

Enjoy :D

The one other bit of advice I would give you is not to eat somewhere that doesn't give you clear prices. We got charged EUR24 for 2 coffees and 2 ice creams at one place :-0
They see your a tourist and inflate the price so make sure you always see a menu with prices!

Have an amazing time, so jealous, I wish I was going back!

Oh good point, we had some reasonable pizzas in a restaurant near the Vatican, but they charged us 20 euros :eek: for 2 diet cokes. We were fuming because he really rushed us when we ordered our drinks and while the prices of the pizzas were on the menu, the drinks weren't. :mad:

How wonderful, you'll have a lovely time :)

We went in Feb 2011 for 3 days and walked for miles each day and saw everything we wanted to on foot.

I would recommend buying a guidebook, we used this one:

Pocket Rough Guide Rome (Pocket Rough Guides): Amazon.co.uk: Martin Dunford: Books

The Colosseum at night is beautiful, the Vatican Museum (which houses the Sistine Chapel) is the best in Rome and a guided tour of the Vatican itself was well worth the money.

If you fancy something completely different, check out the church called the Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini (a truly macabre experience) and/or Largo di Torre Argentina (a square holding the ruins of Pompey's theatre, but also bizzarely a cat sanctuary!).

All the things the others have mentioned too are fantastic (Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon), you certainly won't be bored.

We ate out every night and could always find somewhere reasonable.

Enjoy :D

Is that the church made of bones & skeletons?!

Back