Thinking of going it alone

Maddysmum

Gold Member
Ive been going to group since Sept 2011 and have so far lost 33lbs

The group where i have been going - the people in the group are great. There are a few which just laugh & skit life, but they are funny so i enjoy the time spent there but the consultant isnt very good. She says the same thing every week, gives out the same recipes every week and basically just focuses on the sotw (which is generally same 2 people), i feel like im an after thought (if she remembers my name that week).

So im thinking of saving the £25 i pay a month as we are saving up to move at moment and so every penny counts.

Thing is ive still another stone i want to loose yet and don't want to go off the rails. So has anyone here started groups, then gone it alone - how have you gone on? Have you managed to get to Target / keep the weight off?

Love minmins and already have all the books/info - so do i really need the group?

Save your money and just come here for your support. By the sounds of it you already know the ins and outs of the diet and are doing really well to of lost 33lb from September... I only started doing the diet myself 3 weeks ago on Thursday and already I have lost 8lb. My next self weight in ( I go to boots and get a print off to keep track ) is on Thursday. I find it alot better coming on here, but thats just me... The people are really supportive and I dont feel judged. Fantastic work on the 33lb :)

I do it on my own, have been to all the diet clubs over the years and there is nothing more depressing than sitting there paying a fiver for a leader who doesnt motivate you. If you find you do need the motivation of a class there is nothing stopping you moving to a different group. I am sure you will do just fine on your own tho!!

Im going it alone for a while too see how i get on.Going to put £5 away each week then treat myself at some point.

Thought might book few wks hols then if not coping without group I can just go back. X

Save your money and just come here for your support

I'd book the holidays and see how you do with our support and no group.

If you need to go back and change groups, can I reccommend looking for my previous consultant? - Jason Cundick. Last I heard he was doing the following groups.

Relief cover at Cresta Court Hotel, Mondays, 10am and 7pm
Davyhulme Tuesday, 10am
Hale, Wednesday, 7pm
Sale Masonic Hall, Thursday, 10am and 7pm

I can supply a contact telephone number if you need it.

HTH

I'd book the holidays and see how you do with our support and no group.

If you need to go back and change groups, can I reccommend looking for my previous consultant? - Jason Cundick. Last I heard he was doing the following groups.

Relief cover at Cresta Court Hotel, Mondays, 10am and 7pm
Davyhulme Tuesday, 10am
Hale, Wednesday, 7pm
Sale Masonic Hall, Thursday, 10am and 7pm

I can supply a contact telephone number if you need it.

HTH

Can you let me have the contact number. thanks

I stopped after 33lbs, I put most of it back on again! And when I went back alot of the ladies I started with were at target:sigh:

I have just changed groups as felt I was wasting my money and now feel more than motived :) although I don't agree with how sw does sotw!

Me and my partner go each week. It costs us £16 a week(our fee along with 3packs of hi fi bars). We dont stay to group, as neither of us find it helpful. We are doing really well on the plan though. So we are really only going to get weighed. Which ive realised is a complete waste of money! So also thinking of doing it alone. How much is it to get weighed in boots does anyone know?

I get weighed at the gym and the weigh machine costs only 50p or £1 if you want body fat reading too

slimbysummer - you've done so well! I started in September too and have only lost 21.5lb so far. Really lagging now. I'm thinking of going it alone too but for different reasons. The weekly weigh in has become something I dread and focus on far too much, I'm starting to eat less and less over the weekend (WI on Monday evening) as I'm so worried about it. These are obviously my own personal issues but after having problems with my weight for so long I dont want to feel like this anymore. I might even start weighing in once a month and see how that goes.

Anywho, you seem to know what you're doing so I'd give it a go and book some holidays to see how you cope. If you're sure you have enough willpower to do it on your own (with minimins help obv..) then why spend £25!

I to have gone alone, Last time i went to slimming world i lost 2 stone, Left put it all back on, Then started weight watchers lost 10 pound, put it all back on, I was so focused on weigh in that i forgot about really concentraing more on the healthy eating aspect and realising its long term and not a quick fix and certainly not a rush to get to goal. I would not have any syns, my social life stopped and it become quite competitive to me as the consultant focused on the biggest losers etc. Now i have gone back to following slimming world but weighing at home once i week, I dont answer to anybody and its no longer a rush to get it all off in a oner ( i wish!) I weigh monday morning at home with a digital scales. Lost 7lb so far. My husband is away at the moment so eating healthy is now alot easier as he loves his rubbish. He is 6ft and skinny. Me and the kids have had a complete overall of our diet,except the kids are enjoyng and we have more energy as a result. You have lost 33 lb so far i would say your more than motivated to go alone, save the money and treat yourself!

Last edited:
Well went to group and im pleased to say i got my 2.5 stone award but ive booked the next 3 weeks off as holiday so will see how i go on doing this at home and if struggling will go back to class. thanks for all the support x

This is exactly how I'm feeling I've not been to class for 3 weeks due to working late , but weighed on the wii fit the numbers just haven't moved even tho I've stuck 100% to plan , so I'm now thinking wots the point of wasting money each were , but I don't want to start putting bk on , I wi tomorrow I am going to go but if it's not a loss I really don't know what to do regarding future weeks

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Try doing it at home, and see how you manage without a class. I got to target without ever attending one and using the forum as support and bought my own scales to weigh at home. However I understand that others need the discipline of a class to stick to the plan (my mum for example) and as an outlet of support.
Best wishes for the next three weeks x

I've decided to go it alone. I've been finding the weekly weighting becomes to stressful and competitive. I end up trying my hardest to lose weight before the big weightin day then I might of lost but I'm totally demoralised and drained. So I don't feel that type of forum is for me. I'd rather have a daily focus with less pressure than a big build up at the end of the week ( hope the makes sense) I lost 2and half stone 2 yrs ago this way and I've kept it of so I know it works. I thinks it's mainly about support and I've found this forum the most helpful and the first place I turn to for advice or information. Horses for courses and all that I just wish u luck and if u need support let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back