Thinking of joining a Gym?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Gemma1986, 25 March 2009 Social URL.

1. Gemma1986

Gemma1986 Im just me!

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(5.9%)
    As you all no i am loving doing sw and having all the freedom of the free foods. But when i cheat i cheat.
    As this is a more real life diet i will be sticking with this.
    But my partner thought it would be an idea for me to join a gym then maybe i can have somethink extra of a weekend
    What do you all think.
    I have a gym at the end of my road the Hilton and there doing it £40 a month no joining fee what do you think?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

I love the gym and really enjoy classes but sadly there's nothing near me, I do miss it though as I used to go loads.

If you have the time to use the gym and the money then I would say go for it!!! It makes you feel so good and the benefits are amazing as well as the social side of things too. I made a lot of friends there.

Before you join though, just make sure you will have the time to go as it's a lot of money if you don't.... (i'm sure this is how a lot of gyms make their profit!)

If not, walking/running/biking is a cheaper option. :)

4. Madferret

Madferret Mad as a Hatter

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    My local is JJB and I pay £26 per month (HBOS reduction). That includes all your classes and it also has a swimming pool which is great.
    if you are going to use it then go for it !!

Tracy

5. Rachelina

Rachelina Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Current Weight:
    12st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11lb(12.82%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi Gemma, Just check that they don't tie you in to an 18 month contract though as a lot do and if you stop going after a couple of months then it costs you a lot of money!

I think you have a great attitude that this has to be something you can incorporate into your life long term, I think we all realise that we can't ust do SW and exercise for a few months until we lose the weight then stop as it will all go back on again!

However, personally, I have tried gyms in the past, stuck to it for a few weeks/months then stopped going, I just find it incredibly boring and monotonous and takes too much time for me, I think one of the key things to exercise is finding something you can fit into your life and that you enjoy, for me its running because I can just leave my door go for a run come back and shower and I'm done, with the gym it used to take up a whole morning or evening and I got fed up of that, but as your gym is at the end of your road it may not be so bad for you.

6. susan70

susan70 Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    can you not use the gym at De Aston anymore??

7. Claire1981

Claire1981 Is so very nearly there!

Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    That gyms not great ther gemma, been a few times :/ swimming pool small too - would you not travel to one in dartford thats better??

8. Gemma1986

Gemma1986 Im just me!

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(5.9%)
    Maybe i will give it a miss at hilton. Was at next generation but the monthly membership was £70 so too much for me when i dont want to use it 5 days a week.

9. Claire1981

Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Yh, even Rowhill Grange is ok I think - have a better pool - dunno what membership is tho :/

10. toffeegirl

toffeegirl Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.52%)
    Diet:
    Slimmers world
    I joined LA Fitness on Monday..£30 a month (peak and off peak) its ace!! And also has a large swimming pool! Ive done Aqua aerobics today and I feel great!! Going to do body combat tomorrow..probably be sore the next day..but I feel so much better for it:D

Join it..you wont regret it!! Just make sure you ring around first to make sure your getting the best deal in your area..and make sure you go to get your moneys worth!;)

11. Claire1981

Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Yeah Gem thats a good point - where do you work? Fitness First are meant to be good, LA Fitness as mentioned or there are just the sports centres in bexheath, Erith and Sidcup? They are all ok

12. niknaks

niknaks Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    3st3lb(18%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I have just cancelled my gym membership as i found it a chore and really didnt enjoy it! But i found the wii and thats excellent for me. As someone said above u can just exercise and shower quicker than doing it at the gym and you still feel as refreshed as u do paying all that dosh a month. But thats just me. Oh by the way i use the wii fit and my fitness coach. Also been on few walks outside in the spring weather this week.. Each to their own though just do what works best for you! xx

13. lydia150970

lydia150970 Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Diet:
    SW
    As you know Gemma I love the gym and think its a worthwhile investment as long as you go. I was with LA Fitness but cancelled my membership and went with the local council gym, as I get a huge discount for being a council worker and its also pay as you go, so I only pay for what I use - which was handy when I couldn't exercise for 5 months cos of the glandular fever. If you join try a little bit of everything during the first week or 2 and see what you fancy - swimming, aquarobics, classes (eg body combat, attack, spinning etc) and the gym equipment. There might be an opportunity for one of the fitness instructors to put a programme together for you.

Good luck.

14. Gemma1986

Gemma1986 Im just me!

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(5.9%)
    i Will have a look about as i think maybe i need to join or get a wii fit.

15. fatbunny

fatbunny Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st10lb
    Current Weight:
    9st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    6st12lb(41.03%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    slimming world/
    i walk home from work mon,wed and fri approx 2 miles each tima, on tues and thurs and sunday i go to the gym, it is only at the gym do i feel that i am giving my upper body a workout as i feel the walking is only benefitting my bum and legs.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.