thinking of starting atkins

Discussion in 'Low Carb Diets' started by PinksW, 30 April 2008 Social URL.

1. PinksW

PinksW Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st2lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(5.67%)
    Diet:
    WW
    Dear anyone

I have just done three weeks sole source on CD and have lost a lot of weight. However, I dont think I can go another day with no food, my social life is being badly affected and my husband who is on CD with me is a seriously grumpy so and so.

Before I jump ship, I just wanted advice. Am I going to be ok starting on the induction level of Atkins and should I go and buy the book before I start

Thanks

Pinks
    xxxxxxxxxxx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

yes, you should buy the book before you start

good luck with it

4. PinksW

PinksW Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st2lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(5.67%)
    Diet:
    WW
    Thanks Dancing. I did indeed buy the book and am finding life much easier on Atkins.
    I know the weight losses wont be as dramatic as with cd, but my kids are happy that I am again able to sit and have a meal with them and I have lots more energy at the gym.
    Are you doing low carb now?
    Pinks
    xxxxxxxxxxx

5. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

shhhh... I haven't declared to the world yet but I'll have to rush off and update my diary after answering your post ... yes. I've failed at restarting CD and can't bear to do that over and over again and not be able to keep to my word. So, I'm giving Atkins/alternating with vege low carb (Rose Elliot) a go. Started today.

Good to hear you are finding it easier. There is hope for me yet!

6. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Gold Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    best of luck guys, you will enjoy it :) I lost a half stone the first week and a consistent 3 stone a week after that.

7. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

3 lb a week right? If I could lose 3stone a week I'd be done in a week yippee

8. PinksW

PinksW Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st2lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(5.67%)
    Diet:
    WW
    I think cd is a brilliant diet, but my goodness it takes its toll on familt and social life. Sometimes you need to make the change in order to give yourself a kick start, eh?

At least we are both determined to do something and haven't just given up and gone back to our bad old ways.

I shall be here if you need moral support!

Pinks
    xxxxxxxx

9. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Gold Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    oops wishful thinking yes 3lbs a week :)

10. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

on day two of atkins and so far so good. .... just would like something sweetish. I've had a soy protein shake with cocoa and sweetener in it which kind of helps. Might try to use less liquid and make something more of an icecream texture from it. Also am having a few blueberries (so upping my carb intake from the 20grm recommended on induction to 25grm) I'll still get into ketosis so I'm not too bothered. But I'm having to hold myself back from having too many blueberries. The soy protein shakes have almost no carbs so I'm guessing that until I get into ketosis (and therefore won't feel so hungry) I could have three a day plus my meat, cheese, salad and veg???

11. annie_d

annie_d Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12lb(5.97%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    I did that long ago and far away (1984). Went from Cambridge to high protein/low carbohydrate and still lost weight. You can get all the information you need online and if you are going to buy the book, I advise amazon. x

12. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Gold Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    dancing were you definitely out of ketosis starting, I would have said going from CD to atkins you could bypass the induction phase and go straight to the higher levels of carbs

I didnt do atkins, the The New High Protein Diet, allows 40g of carbs from the get go, worked well for me.

13. PinksW

PinksW Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st2lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(5.67%)
    Diet:
    WW
    I was still in ketosis from CD, but started with the induction phase just to get me started really. I'm not finding it too difficult.

I bought some flavourless soya protein on Saturday, but dont really know where to start with it as regards shakes, which I would really like to make. Is it just a question of adding water and flavours to it?
    Pinks
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

14. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

oh I'm definitely not in ketosis - this is why I have switched from CD .... I could not longer stick to any of the plans and kept bingeing.

Pinks, I've added half soy milk and half water (just my preference) plus cocoa and splenda or cocoa and berry water flavouring (CD one) or coffee and splenda.... that is as far as I have explored for now. It is a good way to get protein without having to resort to meat all the time. .... just not sure if you can eat too much protein (what happens to the excess? ... maybe I need to read the book in detail again).

15. PinksW

PinksW Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st2lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(5.67%)
    Diet:
    WW
    Thanks for that, Dancing, will give it a go!
    Pinks
    x

16. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

ok after a pm from soraya I have decided to give up the few blueberries I was allowing myself. Well, due to her pm and also due to the fact I have just tried on all my new clothes and none look as good as they did before I went off the rails. They don't fit! Or if they do, I feel awful in them. So this contributed to me deciding the blueberries really aren't worth it. I NEED to lose this weight I have put on. It goes on so much quicker than it comes off - unless you can do CD/LL religiously, ... then it comes off as quick as it goes on. I'm hoping that Atkins will give me the kick I need. Fingers crossed.

17. mitten

mitten The old me is coming back

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    I am thinking of starting Atkins as have failed a million times at the Sole Sourcing and am going CRAZY. Can someone please give me an idea of what i would be eating in an average day? Thanks guys!!

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Mitten good luck with trying Atkins. I really would suggest you find yourself a copy of the diet book ... wouldn't surprise me if your local library has a copy. Alternatively, you might get a second hand one on Amazon.

20. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

yippeeeee. Four days since I weighed myself and two days since starting Atkins - I've lost 8lbs. Yes, it will be water and glycogen but this brilliant and it has stopped the cycle of trying to ss then bingeing. hooray. From now on I'll be losing fat. So pleased!!!

21. mitten

mitten The old me is coming back

Start Weight:
    16st5lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    Congrats Dancing - that's a brill loss. Water or not, who cares?!
    I have a copy of the book on order and i have been reading on the web site about it and i can see what kinds of food you can eat. What i am just looking for is a typical menu? I work long hours at work and am curious how people work their real life around the programme?
    Dancing, what do you eat on an average day - what have you eaten to give you such a great loss?
    Thanks a million!

22. PinksW

PinksW Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st2lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(5.67%)
    Diet:
    WW
    Hi Mitten
    In induction the important thing is stay below 20 carbs per day. Your meals will be mostly protein based with green leafy vegetables.

Atkins - Two-Week Induction Meal Plan gives a two week induction plan, which you can tweak to your own tastes. Important things are to remember to drink lots and lots of water, not to use low fat products and to move away from convenience foods to lovely fresh produce.

I've loved it so far!

Good luck to you. Enjoy!

Pinks
    x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.