Tips for a SW holiday abroad

xxmooxx

I'm going self-catering to Spain in a few weeks and I thought it'd be good if we shared advice for a SW holiday.

I've decided to pack somethings a) to save money as things like baked beans seem to cost a fortune abroad and b) to keep me on plan abroad.

I'm going to take
* Sainsbury's Basics Mixed Herbs as it's a tiny pot and I thought it'd be good if I decide to make burgers or potato wedges.

* Snap Pot Baked Beans

* Nando's sauce for marinating food

Any other tips for what I should pack? I say 'I', but I mean my BF as I shall need all the space possible for clothes ;)

Hi, I live in Spain and do SW successfully and easily.

Where abouts in Spain are you going to ???

I manage to be able to buy everything I need, some of the convenience foods are not available but those are so easy to live without when you consider the wonderful, fresh and delicious fruit and vegetables we get. I buy most of mine from the markets, every town/village has them or in one supermarket in particular.

If you let me know where you will be I can tell you what will be available to you.

If you eat yogurt we have a supermarket brand that is cheap and free on SW and is soooooooo good, I think better than Muller Light and a fraction of the price........baked beans, no prob, Alpen no prob, perhaps a bit more expensive but they have travelled a long way to be on the shelves here. Baked beans.........the cheapest about 46 cents.

Wholemeal bread is called Pan Integral and the french sticks, everything give you a choice ow wholemeal or white. The fresh bread here as opposed to sliced is lovely and well worth buying on a daily basis.

In some areas we have Iceland and most toursit places have British style supermarkets. Lidl and Aldi are throughout Spain though the products on sale are different from the U.K.

The cost of living here is generally more expensive than Britain.

Any questions you have just ask away.

Hi, I live in Spain and do SW successfully and easily.

Where abouts in Spain are you going to ???

I manage to be able to buy everything I need, some of the convenience foods are not available but those are so easy to live without when you consider the wonderful, fresh and delicious fruit and vegetables we get. I buy most of mine from the markets, every town/village has them or in one supermarket in particular.

If you let me know where you will be I can tell you what will be available to you.

If you eat yogurt we have a supermarket brand that is cheap and free on SW and is soooooooo good, I think better than Muller Light and a fraction of the price........baked beans, no prob, Alpen no prob, perhaps a bit more expensive but they have travelled a long way to be on the shelves here. Baked beans.........the cheapest about 46 cents.

Wholemeal bread is called Pan Integral and the french sticks, everything give you a choice ow wholemeal or white. The fresh bread here as opposed to sliced is lovely and well worth buying on a daily basis.

In some areas we have Iceland and most toursit places have British style supermarkets. Lidl and Aldi are throughout Spain though the products on sale are different from the U.K.

The cost of living here is generally more expensive than Britain.

Any questions you have just ask away.

I'm going to Gran Alicant and I know there is (and please forgive all my poor spelling that is to proceed) a Mercadona, a Consum and a Super Value. Also there is an Eroski about 15 mins away.

That is about 2 hours away from us. You will be near Torrevieja and there is an Iceland there and also one at La Marina, San Fulgencio. If you want English products they are the places to head for. It is a bit more expensive than the U.K. but worth it if that is what you want.

You should have no problems at all getting things you need.

The best supermarket, in my opinion, for staying on plan is Mercadona. Their Pasteleria 0% fat yogurts are to die for. Their fruit and veg are good too as is their bread, fish and meat.

Consum is good but quite expensive and the same applies to Eroski, though different branches do vary according to how good the manager is.

You also have Aldi and Lidl near you.

I think you will be o.k.

Enjoy your holiday !!!

Tips for a SW holiday -

1. Find your nearest supermarket and stock up on fruit!! As it's quite hot on holiday its quite a nice snack if stored in the fridge. Also stock up on water - water flushes fat and with it being hot out you should drink quite a bit of it!! Also buy a smaller bottle to top up and carry around with you!

2. Be realistic. Don try to force yourself to be 100% SW 100% of the time, otherwise you wont enjoy yourself. If you start to feel restricted then make a deal with yourself. Ie SW breakfast & lunch then an alcoholic drink or some chips at dinner. Or 2 days flexi syn and 5 on plan. This all depends on your hopes for WI back home.

3. Take some store cupboard favourites, Alpen Lights, Mug shots, pasta n sauce so that you know that you have a safety blanket of on plan foods - make sure these things dont weigh to much as you wouldnt want to go over your luggage allowance!!!

4. Get in some body optimising!! Swim some lengths in the pool, explore the island, days out walking around sandy beaches and market places!! You dont have to go to the gym to get a work out!!

5. If you are craving an ice cream go with a fruit lolly. These are ALWAYS less syns. Unless of course they have mini milks :)

These are just some of my ideas :)

xxx

All brilliant info already given really - aren't you all a lovely bunch!!! :)

Just to say, we're packing a few packets of Pasta'n'Sauce and Batchelors Savoury Rice - easy to pack, quick to make, easy to bulk up.

Have a lovely holiday!!! x

You can get them in Iceland, but they are so expensive, I mean like gold compared with British prices. As they weigh almost nothing they could eve be put into pockets and handbags, my sis always carries a coat on board, one with loads of pockets and fills them with loads of stuff.

Back