Tips for English girl livng in Germany and trying to be good at SW!

xkatiemcx

Hi, im an english girl living over in germany for a few months for work but i have been follwing slimming world in england before i came here and was doing quite good and have put alllllll the weight back on as i dont have a clue what i am actually eating overe here.

I really need to know, is there a german equivelant to:

Frylight
Mullerlight
Low fat chicken herb supernoodles
Batchalors pasta'n'sauce packets, tomato onion and herb etc..

but also for anything else that may be syn free!

Meats, soups,rices, pasta

Also what i can use over here for my A & B choice as i always follow the extra easy plan.

Thanks guys!

I think your best bet will be to avoid pre-packaged foods and focus on the basic raw ingredients. So have your pasta, rice, meat, fish, pulses, fruit and vegetables as these will be free irrespective of where you are are.

Make your own soups from free ingredients and they will be free.

You don't need frylight just a good non-stick pan and add a little stock if the veggies look like they are sticking.

For yogurts, you would need to post the nuritional info of ones you have available so that someone can work out the syn values for you. But looking at the nutritional info (assuming there is some) will be useful. Look for fat free with no added sugar.

As for healthy extras, again stick to the basics like wholemeal bread, porridge, stewed fruit, extra virgin olive oil, cheese and milk etc. Stuff like cereal and crackerbreads will depend on what is available, sorry I'm not familiar with the brands that are available in Germany.

I think Patchwork Puss has got it right- stick to your own recipe's until you get used to local equivalents.

Whereabouts are you? I used to live in Berlin, best time of my life- I shouldn't have come home!! Can't remember what I was eating though, I basically lived off Milka chocolate :rolleyes:

Hi

I lived in Germany for a year. The supermarkets so a fantastic range of fat free yogurts in loads of flavours that you can sub for mullers.

I have been doing SW since last August and live in Portugal. It is the 2nd time round for me with SW and resisited restarting for a long time with the excuse that I couldn't do it in Portugal (I was in the UK before). What I have found is I have to cook from scratch, all fresh ingredients. Also I have to substitute certain foods like yogurt as we don't have Muller lite but do have fat free. It takes a bit more effort but is doable. Good luck.

Hi, I'm in Swtzerland, but right on the border & so sometimes shop in Germany. It's hard to find the equivalent products & I'm really struggling to find many old favourites - there just isnt the range of lo-fat etc items in the supermarkets (and yet people don't seem to be particularly overweight - wonder what that says?).

I have found babybel cheese, also reduced fat feta and 0 fat cottage cheese at Heber's. Do you have one of these supermarkets? I believe they're a chain. Also some Optiwell 0 fat 0 sugar yogurts there too.

I also ask people coming over from the uk to bring me some staples (such as pasta n sauce / ryvita etc) with them.

If I think of any other items I'll post them on here.

Hey! I understand completely! Since I moved to Germany for 9 months, all my hard-earned SW weight loss has piled back on too. :(

Anyway, have you seen this? I posted my own query last year and had some good replies.

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-overseas/237653-uk-student-living-germany.html

Personally for HEX As, I measure a portion of grated mozzarella or have fettarme Milch / Magermilch. (low fat milk with 1.5% fat and skimmed milk with 0.3% respectively.)For HEX Bs I'll have 2 slices of Vollkorn Toastbrot (wholemeal toast bread), as they look around the size I'd have at home from a 400g loaf or I'll have some wholemeal cracker breads (found in the bread aisle). You could also have porridge oats and you can get Weetabix here.

Some of them may not be the official HEXs but it's the best I feel I can do right now.

As for super noodles / pasta in sauces etc. there's usually an aisle full of them in each supermarket but I haven't tried any of them, so it'd be up to you to calculate the syns. If you have a freezer you could make a huge batch of sauces to add to rice, pasta and noodles in and keep it syn free, yet convenient.

Some other tips:

• Avoid the minced meat. Often it's a mix of pork & beef. You can also get just beef but nothing I've seen is lean, let alone extra lean.

• Quark is great. 'Magerstufe' Speise Quark is really useful in replacing bechemels in Lasagne for example OR you could add sweetener and put fruit with it.

• There's lots of variety of very low fat Philadelphia. I put a spoonful of garlic & herb in homemade tomato sauces to make it creamy. You can get little 35g pots (pack of 4) of Milka Philadelphia which I use to dip fruit in for a chocolate fix. (Tastes just like chocolate cheesecake!)

• You can find Activia yoghurts in supermarkets. There's lots of 0% fat, low sugar yoghurts around but it may be worth calculating the syns or saving some just incase they are more synful than they look.

• On first look the bacon here can look streaky and fattening but I've noticed there's low fat bacon in Rewe, where the fat's been removed!

• I find cooking from scratch best and sticking to a menu for evening meals
That's all I can think of right now. If you have any other questions or tips of your own, just let me know! Where abouts are you in Germany? :)

Rind or rinder is usually lean meat i also have been leaving in germany due to hubby being in army! asked a german friend if she new n she said either kobe or rind usually means lean :) hope this helps! :) will try and think of anything else i can think of for tips or help would love some back too if any of yous have any also optiwell yogurts are really nice the mango one and vanille ones are the only ones av tried but there really nice! hope this is helped someone! :) x

im ment living not leaving lol

I live in bad fallingbostel yeh there really nice not keen on the lil bits in them though but have to say there yummy! where about are you from :) x

Hi
i live in Switzerland on the German speaking side so we probably get similar products:
Philadelphia balance = philly extra light
ww yogurts are free
hirz 0% are free
tomy 90% ff mayo is extra light mayo syn wise and tastes good!

rind means beef.. Never heard of it meaning lean ;-)

I tend to cook from scratch and buy some products - no added sugar squash, light salad cream etc. from expat shops online or from UK when over.

Back