To exercise or not to exercise?

Befanwi

Gold Member
I know that I should exercise and that exercise will help inch loss and toning however when I started the 30 day shred, I lasted a week before exams started and I gained a lb despite being 100% now I know that's usual when upping exercise but I was going to start again today.. Except that I just had my first loss in weeks - 3lbs, which is my biggest loss - and I don't want to gain next week, I'm 11st and I reaaaallly want to get into the 10's.. And now I'm not sure whether to do it or not and was hoping someone could give me an outside opinion as to whether I'm just being a wimp..
Sorry for the ramble :/ x

My suggestion is to do exercise and drink plenty of water. Initially you gain weight or stay the same as your body retains water but gradually it comes off. Also think about it from point of view that you will be in shape and lose inches if not pounds.

I have been on the plan 6 weeks now and lost 11 lbs which is disappointing but it is a loss. A couple of weeks ago started exercising and my loss has slowed down but the flab feels firmer. I am going to continue with exercise and know that when my body gets used to it, I start losing again.

Stay positive and take up exercising.

I wish I'd lost 11lb in 6 weeks!! I've been messing with the same stone for a year!! Lol. So well done you!! X

I know that I should exercise and that exercise will help inch loss and toning however when I started the 30 day shred, I lasted a week before exams started and I gained a lb despite being 100% now I know that's usual when upping exercise but I was going to start again today.. Except that I just had my first loss in weeks - 3lbs, which is my biggest loss - and I don't want to gain next week, I'm 11st and I reaaaallly want to get into the 10's.. And now I'm not sure whether to do it or not and was hoping someone could give me an outside opinion as to whether I'm just being a wimp..
Sorry for the ramble :/ x

I'm in a similar position regarding exercise at the moment but much as I want to get the lbs off I know that the exercise is getting rid of inches & really toning me up. I've started back to it after an injury so I expected it to slow for a while but I know from experience that the weight loss will catch up & the one thing to keep in mind is that the only person who sees the lbs is you... its the inches that everyone else sees :)

My suggestion is to do exercise and drink plenty of water. Initially you gain weight or stay the same as your body retains water but gradually it comes off. Also think about it from point of view that you will be in shape and lose inches if not pounds.

I have been on the plan 6 weeks now and lost 11 lbs which is disappointing but it is a loss. A couple of weeks ago started exercising and my loss has slowed down but the flab feels firmer. I am going to continue with exercise and know that when my body gets used to it, I start losing again.

Stay positive and take up exercising.

Gosh 11lbs in 6 weeks is definitely not disappointing!!! I would be very happy with that

teen said:
I wouldnt but then I hate gyms and stuff like that lolol not my bag at all. I do enough exersize at work

This is the thing I do quite a lot of walking when I'm at uni but I'm only in 2 days a week at the moment and apart from housework the rest of the time not much else.. I do feel better after exercise but I really wanna get under 11 stone!!

Its a tough one, I've been deliberating whether to tone down the exercise this week after 2 weeks of STS - this was after doing lots and lots of exercise whilst still upping my water intake to compensate.

I'm gonna give it this week, see how I get on at next weigh in and if no change I'm going to reduce the exercise.

Sooo to answer your question, I would exercise but not go overboard (and make sure you get enough water), see how you get on this week and next week amend your exercise accordingly! Clear as mud?!? lol :D

floweryrosie - I too wish I could lose that amount in that time. Its taken me nearly 5 months to lose 17lbs...

Hi,well last week as a trial I decided not to do any exercise to see if it mafe a difference,well it did 1 lb on!!!:'( so back on the exercise wagon :-!

Hi

I put on lots of weight after my first baby and lost it without exercise (did lots of exercise pre baby) BUT I got to the same weight pre baby but my body didn't look anywhere near as nice (arms ect) and clothes didn't fit as well. After no2 Im now losing weight slowly and doing exercise I can see the difference in my body already even if its not showing on the scales.

I didn't start exercising until 2 weeks ago and since then my losses have slowed right down.

I am carrying on with both food optimising and exercising though in the hope that my body will kick itself into touch and get back to 2lb+ losses again!

i started doing exercise after 3 months (i'd lost about 2 1/2 stone by then I think) I started building it up and now do between 1-2 hours on average a day.

i'm guessing that it does have a part to play in my weight loss- since i'm pulling out an average of 2 1/2lb a week

but- i had/have a lot to lose- lose nearly 7 1/2 stone and still got over 2 1/2 stone to go. it might be different because you have less to lose than me....

Just wanna say thanks for all your opinions!! It looks like the consensus is slower losses but more toned which is what I suspected.. Looks like I'll have to suck it up and start shredding again..

Befanwi I just measured myself in comparison with last time (19th January 2012), noticed following reductions and it is mainly down to doing exercises. My exercises are not heavy going and taken at leisure - exercise bike when watchin TV and walking to the shops 2-3 times a week.

Here my measurement changes:

Chest 1 cm
Waist 4 cm
Hips 2 cm

Not much but better than not losing at all.

tbh I was dubious about exercising as I'd heard it slows losses, but then I thought, well, exercise is good for you, and I think sometimes we're all guilty of getting really bogged down in numbers on the scales, when in reality I know that when I've exercised I feel better about myself, which is surely more important! I didn't do much exercise in the first week and lost 3lbs; I went to the gym once in my second week and lost 2lbs; then I went twice in my third and lost 1lb! haha! quite funny really, although it might not have anything to do with it.

Why not go for your body magic awards that way the exercise will be helping you achieve something until the weight loss catches up. Hugs Crystal xx

hiya, i also started 30day shred, was aiming to do it every 2nd day and was/have been getting frustrated that i lost 2lb in 3 weeks. I hurt my knee so have only managed it once since last wednesday and i weigh in tomorrow BUT whether i have lost or not i have decided to continue with the shred. I have decided pounds dont mean as much to me the now but am really enjoying the dvd when i do it. I notice a difference in my arms, and my tummy and wont measure til i have did each level 10 times. LIke the other poster i am almost close to my prebaby weight but body does feel or look like it used to. My advice and believe me i know how you feel is to keep it up. You will be toned in no time and def drink more water before and after the dvd - for some reason i feel bettter if i have drank morex

I've been quite enlightened by this thread. I started online 3 weeks ago, had a 31/2lb loss, 1/2lb gain and then 1 1/2 lb loss. I thought it would be greater than this as I was doing a lot of exercise on a treadmill. However I've also been surprised that a 4 1/2lb loss has made my clothes feel so much looser. After reading this thread it makes a bit more sense and I think I'll try not to be so hung up on the number on the scales, but I think that will be easier said than done!

Back