To the people waiting for their friends to comment....

Colony

Lot of posts on here often comment on how certain friends or work colleagues refuse to comment on or notice significant weight loss. This isn't wrong, as we work hard at this, so it's natural to want other people to recognise this. However, I recently came across a notion to explain all of this.

When you have plastic surgery i.e. to your face, the surgeon will often advise you to tell as few people as possible. The reason for this is that most people won't even realise what you've done. They will just perceive that in some way, you look better, but won't be able to pick out exactly why- even if you've dramatically changed a feature of your face.

I think the same applies to weight loss. Whilst as individuals we massively notice the difference of size to our faces, legs and tummy's etc, other people aren't as attentive to these areas as we think- so whilst they perceive us as looking better, they may not immediately attribute this to losing weight. Obviously if huuuuge sums of weight are lost its different, but don't expect people to comment after the loss of some pounds.

My musings for the day- have a good one! X

I'm a month in now and 31lbs down and a few people have noticed, had a comment at work from a Director saying I had clearly lost weight without them knowing I was doing this.

Lot of posts on here often comment on how certain friends or work colleagues refuse to comment on or notice significant weight loss. This isn't wrong, as we work hard at this, so it's natural to want other people to recognise this. However, I recently came across a notion to explain all of this.

When you have plastic surgery i.e. to your face, the surgeon will often advise you to tell as few people as possible. The reason for this is that most people won't even realise what you've done. They will just perceive that in some way, you look better, but won't be able to pick out exactly why- even if you've dramatically changed a feature of your face.

I think the same applies to weight loss. Whilst as individuals we massively notice the difference of size to our faces, legs and tummy's etc, other people aren't as attentive to these areas as we think- so whilst they perceive us as looking better, they may not immediately attribute this to losing weight. Obviously if huuuuge sums of weight are lost its different, but don't expect people to comment after the loss of some pounds.

My musings for the day- have a good one! X

I could not agree more with everything you said in your post. That appears to be the case most of the time, however as you said if there is a DRASTIC weight loss it is obvious to everyone. Brilliant post, this will help out a lot of people who feel others cannot see their weight loss. :D

very true.since i had my baby i havent took much pride in my appearance but since loosing a stone since starting i was at a family gathering yesterday and a few of my family looked at me funny and said you look really nice did you get your hair done.lol.i joey they noticed a difference but didnt know what it was

Back