Told im gonna die :/

fat_poppy

So I'm a size 24, I'm over weight and been trying to lose weight and live a healthy life style for the last month and have lost a stone. I went to the doctors today (new doctor as recently moved to the area) to tell her me and my bf are trying to conceive and she told me that it was not sensible and I wouldn't be around to see my children grow up. After asking me to list the things i could die of and then to step on her scales and not brake them I was devastated and came home and cried! She has told me I need a gastric band and has put me forward for one. I have phoned tonight a local slimming world consultant who chatted and reassured me that attending a class is not as scary as I think it's going to be. And that I will be ok and she will help me every step of the way. I am going tomorrow at 11:30 and I'm really nervous, I have a lot to lose and I know no one as I'm new to the area. Feeling upset tonight but hoping this is a journey I will enjoy, hope to make some new friends here xxxx

Hi, I am sorry your gp was so brutal, my mum was treated that way 44 years ago when I was 2 - I thought we had moved on from that kind of treatment. Firstly, congratulations on making that phone call, I too joined SW on my own and do not know anyone there, but I was welcomed and made to feel part of the group straight away. We have a lovely consultant, so supportive. I have been attending for 9 weeks and lost 1 stone 1/2lb , I follow extra easy and as yet lost something each week and first five weeks I ate out every weekend due to family birthdays but luckily carverys/pubs with jkt potatoes etc. I never felt deprived at all. I try to plan a weeks meals in advance to help me from stopping at takeaways on way home.

Please give SW a go, gastric bands are not the answer and not a quick fix. Be patient and follow SW first. Many people on here will advise against a GB.

I would also arrange to speak to a different gp or the practice manager and explain how upset the gp made you.

Good luck for tomorrow, let me know how you get on.

Hugs xxx

That is absolutely horrible!!! I can't believe a doctor actually treated you like that!
Well done for the last month, losing a stone is brilliant :happy096: and well done for ringing the consultant. Good luck for the morning, it won't be as bad as you think. I really enjoy going to group each week.

That GP is f***king rude, to put it bluntly! I'd complain about her right away! She doesn't have a right to speak to you like that, telling you not to break the scales is disgusting!

i was the same size as you when I started, and I weighed 19st 10.5lbs when I joined slimming world. It's took me a year but I've lost 5st 10lbs and I'm getting there, all the way to target and you will too. And you'll show that bloody doctor too.

What a horrible horrible bedside manner your GP has! Vile. I would definitely complain.

You have done absolutely the right thing to decide to join SW - I think it is the right thing to do. A colleague of mine lost 10stone with a gastric band then he put it all back on again because he hadn't got a handle on his eating habits and didn't learn how to eat properly.

Don't be nervous about going tomorrow. I didn't know a soul when I went along to my group and now I am on the social team. You'll find everyone is very open ans supportive, and as always, everyone here on mini's will help you. Trust in the SW plan; it works. I have lost over 9 stone in 18months. Look on the inspirational photos pages to see just how great the plan is and how many people have changed their lives through SW.

Good luck and let us know how you get on tomorrow. x

btw - whereabouts in the country are you? You might find someone on here goes to the same group and can look out for you in the morning?

Oh you poor thing, that sounds like a real ordeal! You're making a much better long term choice by trying SW, and look at you already having lost a stone, so you know you can do it yourself. The gastric band will always be there if you do decide that's the route for you, but I think you're doing the right thing trying the healthy eating approach first, as it will help you address any issues you have with food (as we all do, that's why we're overweight!) rather than just going down the surgical route. All the best with your SW journey, hope you enjoy it as much as we all do and starts seeing the benefits soon xx

Aww thank you :)

Yeah I was kind of shocked at how blunt she was with me because weight is such a sensitive issue and I was certainly panicking when I was told to not brake her scales! I really hope to do slimming world and meet some nice friends and lose weight. I'm 27 and desperately want a baby so I need to lose this weight!

Btw to the lady who lost over 5stone (forgot ur name and if I look bk I lose what I typed) ur a true inspiration well done!!! Your all so friendly ty xxxx

Well I think you should have broke the scales, preferably right over her head! What a condescending bag, she should have been congratulating you on your recent weight loss and offering you support to encourage your new lifestyle. I think a letter of complaint to the practice manager is in order. Personally, I wouldn't see her again, go to another GP at the practice or register at another surgery if it's possible.
Good luck on your journey with SW I have a feeling you're going to do very well x.

Poppy, the way you were treated was awful and I would agree that you should look into complaining. I also agree that there is no need for a gastric band and I'm horrified that the doctor suggested it as a first step! Slimming world is fantastic, its relearning your habits and the way you cook and eat and it works. There are hundreds of people on here with huge success stories and you will always find someone friendly to talk to and give advice.

Good luck and don't stop posting xxx

I'm 28 next week and would love to be a mummy now.

I've been with sw for 8 weeks now and have lost 15 lbs so it does work and you can do it.

I have 8 stones to lose yet so I have a longggg way to go.

Go to group- read the books- plan your meals- and visualise yourself with that baby in your arms hun. I am :) and she is beautiful :) (and so is he when I'm thinking of having a son lol)

If you need any help please PM me x

At the age of 11 I had to go and see an endocrinologist as I was very fat and had other symptoms such as excess body hair. He told my mum that if we wanted help with my weight we should go and live in America and promptly discharged me. 8 months (and a lot of tears) later I was diagnosed with PCOS. And that was a supposed expert in hormones and weight management.

I'm sure you will ace slimming world. I have just got back from my first meeting and I have lost 8lbs in a single week. Absolutely buzzing!

Hi Poppy and welcome. I am sorry that you have had such rough treatment but it got you here!

I was a size 24 January 2012. I'm now size 14. And during the last 15 months I have never ever been hungry, or had a day when I was unhappy with the food that I ate. I love food! SW can help you make little changes that make a huge difference. Here are some so, so simple ones:

Fry light instead of oil, americano instead of a latte or a cappuccino, sweetener instead of sugar, muller light yogurts instead of other 'low fat/fat free' brands (because they are high in sugar! Who knew?).

Also SW teaches you to cook, one recipe at a time-- you'll soon be impressed with your spice rack and confidence with chucking them in to flavour your delicious meals.

I really wish you the best. You are in the right place!

That GP sounds awful, I would be tempted to complain! I know some of them think its tough love etc but there's no need for that kind of treatment, especially when it involves issues as sensitive as weight and TTC xxx

I was a size 24/26 when I started SW just over a year ago, now I'm a size 16/18 and can shop in normal shops again. I've lost 5st 10lbs in that time and I firmly believe that losing weight has changed my life for the better.

Not just me either, there's loads of us on here who have transformed ourselves and you can too. You've taken that first step - now go with it! Good luck with the diet and I hope you get your baby soon too xxx

Just tried to send you a PM Poppy but you've not enough posts yet! When you have posted more let me know, I want to send you something that might help inspire you a bit xxx

Thanks everyone for your wonderful supportive comments. I'm really nervous about going alone but really excited about losing weight. Your stories are so inspirational thank you, you have all done amazingly well. Xxxx

how the gp said is so rude but whatever he said its got you into thinking enough to get on here a d start to think about getting your weight down, but if it were me focus all that energy and upset towards the gp and throw it every bit into doing this. You can do it and then stick two up at the gp.

Good luck x

Hi Poppy, well done for giving Slimming World a go, and being brave enough to call a consultant, she sounds lovely. There's a special offer in this week's Woman mag, and you can join for £4.95. Well done for losing a stone on your own. Hope your first meeting goes well. xx

Back