tomato based sauces

oasis6918

Gold Member
Hiya, I have a bit of a strange question, I make a lot of pasta sauces made with tinned tomatoes, but I don't really like the 'watery' really tomatoey taste if you know what I mean. Does anyone have any tips on what to add to enhance the flavour? I like my sauces a bit thicker.
Thanks in advance

I quite often add balsamic vinegar or worcestershire sauce to tomato sauces, with a bit of sweetner to take away the really acidic taste, and then whatever herbs and garlic I fancy. After that I just cook the sauce down until it's nice and thick :)

Also, if you puree up your onions it can help to thicken a tomato sauce, and they don't take so long to cook :)

It may not work well with a tomato sauce, but instant mash powder can be used to thicken most sauces...might be worth a try hun :) xx

Agree with the balsamic, my favourite ingredient at the moment. If you leave it to cook for a while it will reduce down nicely.

Agreed with the tip to add Worcestershire sauce, I also add garlic and herbs and simmer the sauce to reduce it so it tastes much less watery.

Thanks everyone, these are some really good tips, I do use worcestershire sauce but I'll defo try these other tips. How much balsamic vinegar would you recommend? I haven't cooked with it before. Thanks

You could drain the juice out of the tinned toms, just use the solids.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

I think you really just need to simmer it for say half an hour and then it will be thick. Lots of herbs and maybe a squirt of tomato puree too and it'll be great!

Agree with all the tips and I love passata. I load all my sauces with garlic and veg and often chillies and and a tsp ofbsweetner works well to cut through the acid. Also adding bovril or a stock pot is really good particularly with bolognaise and other mince dishes.

Back