Toning exercises.

KittyBling

Gold Member
I am being bridesmaid for my brother and his fiancée in May and will be wearing a halter neck dress so want to tone up my arms/shoulders/upper back in particular. Now I have some hand weights, I think they are a kilo each and I did some exercises with them last night and today. My question is, is it possible to overdo these exercises? If I leave the weights lying around and lift them and do a bit with them every hour, or 6 times a day or whatever is that ok? Would it be more effective than twice a day or would I be wasting my time? Would it be bad for me? I find the kilo little light so I am holding both in one hand and doing one arm at a time. Any thoughts? Any good exercises to recommend? Thank you in advance,

KB x

KittyBling said:
I am being bridesmaid for my brother and his fiancée in May and will be wearing a halter neck dress so want to tone up my arms/shoulders/upper back in particular. Now I have some hand weights, I think they are a kilo each and I did some exercises with them last night and today. My question is, is it possible to overdo these exercises? If I leave the weights lying around and lift them and do a bit with them every hour, or 6 times a day or whatever is that ok? Would it be more effective than twice a day or would I be wasting my time? Would it be bad for me? I find the kilo little light so I am holding both in one hand and doing one arm at a time. Any thoughts? Any good exercises to recommend? Thank you in advance,

KB x

far as a weight training point of view Tis a subject I do know about!..
if your looking to tone rather than build muscle you will need to to be doing between 25/30 reps and doing 3/4 sets of these!
slow determined actions are best to avoid cheating!.. for toning it's not about heavy weights it's the action!..
building muscle is a whole different story and between 6/12 reps over 3/4 sets and will need to work and adjust the weights till the muscle your working is worked to absolute destruction!.. Tis the resting "3days" that new larger stronger muscle is built!..
so sounds like your doing the right thing!.. slow definite actions, and plenty of reps!.. heavy weights are not that important for lean supple muscle!!.. :D
sorry again for going on...

KittyBling said:
Thanks, Sammy, sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'm not looking to bulk up, just tone up so I'll keep going then!

KB x

rest is as important as the exercise it's self remember that!!..
there forever advertising using anything at hand ie: tins of beans..
good luck sugar, I'm sure you'll be fine!..
you know the best accessory you could ever wear is your smile!.. x

sammyd said:
far as a weight training point of view Tis a subject I do know about!..
if your looking to tone rather than build muscle you will need to to be doing between 25/30 reps and doing 3/4 sets of these!
slow determined actions are best to avoid cheating!.. for toning it's not about heavy weights it's the action!..
building muscle is a whole different story and between 6/12 reps over 3/4 sets and will need to work and adjust the weights till the muscle your working is worked to absolute destruction!.. Tis the resting "3days" that new larger stronger muscle is built!..
so sounds like your doing the right thing!.. slow definite actions, and plenty of reps!.. heavy weights are not that important for lean supple muscle!!.. :D
sorry again for going on...

Thank you very useful advise, I have just started kettlebell classes and bought a 2.5kg weight and have been working my bingo wings for a min at a time 3+ times a day ..

Mis-behave said:
Thank you very useful advise, I have just started kettlebell classes and bought a 2.5kg weight and have been working my bingo wings for a min at a time 3+ times a day ..

I know nothing at all about kettle bell training!.. but do understand there amazing and do a great job for what they are!.. just goes to show its often the simple things that work best!..
matter of interest how much did you pay for that?.. I've often wondered!.. purely from the look of the thing on "the biggest looser".. I do an awful lot of punch bag training!.. and for an all round exercise I don't think it can be beaten!!.. know all you girlies will think ah that ain't for me, but trust me you'll get hooked and won't even notice your working so hard!!!... :0)

Got my 2.5kg pink one from sainsbury 1/2 price, they also had a blue 5g one :) amazon do them too more expensive of course :)

Mis-behave said:
Got my 2.5kg pink one from sainsbury 1/2 price, they also had a blue 5g one :) amazon do them too more expensive of course :)

I'll have a look tomorrow!.. would imagine delivery would be expensive though for the size I would want!..
saying that I've no idea what size I would want lol.. bloody wife has bigger arms than I have these days!.. never ever had such skinny arms and need to do sommaz about that!... oh I know full well how to bulk up and fast, but means putting on weight!.. and that goes right against the grain!.. I'm happy looking lean!.. well am at the moment!.. lol x

sammyd said:
I'll have a look tomorrow!.. would imagine delivery would be expensive though for the size I would want!..
saying that I've no idea what size I would want lol.. bloody wife has bigger arms than I have these days!.. never ever had such skinny arms and need to do sommaz about that!... oh I know full well how to bulk up and fast, but means putting on weight!.. and that goes right against the grain!.. I'm happy looking lean!.. well am at the moment!.. lol x

tell you what I have got ankle weights!.. now walking about with them on!.. now that's a surprise! cheap as chips can be used on the wrists.
they were cheap as chips and another great "cheap" purchase!.. if you see any going cheap scoop em!!.. :)

Do you recon they are helping tone/ build muscle in your legs?

Mis-behave said:
Do you recon they are helping tone/ build muscle in your legs?

oh god no!.. all they do is make walking and exercise that tiny bit harder!.. and burn more calories! but thinking about it I guess they do help with the toning as well!.. :/
as I said building muscle is hard, and you need to actually damage the muscle fibres forcing them to grow back bigger!.. that's why the 3day rest is so important!.. by doing many more reps your toning and conditioning your muscle!.. tell you what I have noticed since I lost weight I've great legs, well muscular! well they would be under all that fat they we're having to haul 4 1/2 stone extra about!..
god knows if it helped really, but after showering I slap on baby oil in hope to help my skin shrink.. I am after all no spring chicken with rubber skin anymore!.. lol
this I recon has helped massively!!!.. :D .. I read some ware that it traps in 10x more moisture than moisturiser alone does!.. and only costs a squid .. lol

Mis-behave said:
Yes I believe in baby oil too :) fab stuff

god I can rabbit!.. lol
sorry bout that again, I seem to get carried away!.. :(
a little baby oil goes such a long way!.. I've put mine in a spray bottle with a drop of aftershave!.. every little helps .. lol x

Ah male vanity :) they care just as much as we do really

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

toofatkat said:
Ah male vanity :) they care just as much as we do really

lol... not vanity sugar!
just didn't fancy carting my skin everywhere in a wheelbarrow!.. :0]
and he drop of aftershave was a touch of genius! lol x

It's a good idea I might try it- minus the aftershave.

:) it's z good idea. Think I may try it- without the aftershave

toofatkat said:
:) it's z good idea. Think I may try it- without the aftershave

not rocket science really kat!.. in fact I'm surprised some one ain't marketed that idea "fancy little bottle and a touch of smell" ... I'm sure some one would make a fortune, that's if there ain't summaz like that already!..
maybe I should patent it and go see the folks on dragons den.... ha x

There is but it normally starts with double figures rather than single

Back