Too much exercise??

Clairexo123

Can you do too much exercise??? i am wanting to start the gym but only days i have free are Mondays and Fridays as Tuesdays and Thursday i am out jogging with my friend and Brownies on a Wednesday! If i went to the gym straight after work before going jogging is it okay or am i pushing myself too much?? I dont want to let my friend down that i go jogging with but sometimes we just dont go because of mostly her commitment issues! So can you do too much exercise is my question??

It depends what sort of stuff you are doing. Just mix it up, if you are jogging a lot outside with your friend then perhaps use your other gym days to focus on strength training and toning exercises? That will let your joints get a rest. Everyone above is right though, just be aware and don't overdo it and get injured. Good on you for doing so much :)

It depends how you manage the increased appetite that can come with extra exercise. I sometimes do an hour DVD (usually resistance work) in the morning and then run in the afternoon, and I usually exercise 6 days a week, but it means I have to make sure I'm eating enough or I end up bingeing. Other people just end up eating more extra calories than they burn, sometimes in junk, which stalls their weightloss. I aim for 2000 cals a day but don't worry if I'm anywhere between 1800-2200.

Make sure you're doing some muscle / resistance work too, because too much cardio can burn muscle as well as fat - this, and the eating too many extra calories is why they say running a marathon isn't a good way to lose weight.

Back