Too much water?

.Nicki.

Minimin Addict
I've never been good at drinking throughout the day, used to have a bottle of diet coke that lasted all day and loads of diet coke/coke (depending if i was dieting :D ) and never have water because i hated it.
Well the last few weeks or so, i've been trying to drink more water and this week i've had 2 glasses of fizzy but i'm getting through 4 maybe 5 litres of water a day, i'm not gulping it (i no about drinking to much water in a short amount of time) but i find now i'm not having anything but water my mouth goes dry very quickly and makes me feel thirsty so i always have my glass filled next to me.
Is it normal to drink so much water? i should point out i don't drink tea or coffee so all my fluid is now water. Skins getting better though :D

5 litres of water a day is quite a lot :) - I only ever get through 1.5, but have several cups of green tea on top of this. Also is it 5 litres of sparkling water? If so, do you not feel bloated? Also the sodium content can be quite high, so try pick waters which are low.

But I won't take away from the fact that it's much better than diet coke/coke, so good on you for that xx

You can drink too much, but I don't think that is too much.
The recommended amount is 2litres a day but I often drink 3, maybe more.
As long as your okay then I wouldn't worry too much.

Hiya

I drink 4.5-6lt of sparkling water a day and have done for years and Im fine... as long as you are spreading it through the day and not guzzling loads at once you should be fine..

Last edited:
Lol I feel like I'm hardly drinking any now! :D xx

Also the sodium content can be quite high, so try pick waters which are low.

I never thought about this and I can drink about 2l of fizzy water a day if I'm at home. Thank you, I'll check in future.
You deserve a rep for that, but I need to spread the love a bit more first! ;)

I never thought about this and I can drink about 2l of fizzy water a day if I'm at home. Thank you, I'll check in future.
You deserve a rep for that, but I need to spread the love a bit more first! ;)

Haha thanks Jaylou - remember reading an article about the sodium content and it is quite shocking how much certain waters vary...eek!

It might just be because your body isn't used to having so much water now its getting some its going gimme gimme.

OP, that is very good that you've made water your main beverage. I'm really really bad at drinking water, although I try to limit my diet cola intake (my fruit juice and fizzy drink habit was terrible pre-SW, so it's huge for me to just be down to diet cola and NAS cordials), I find I'm probably nowhere near even a litre a day. And when I do drink water, it's probably one or two cups plain and the rest I take with NAS mixers.

Did you find it difficult swapping your coke for water at first? Or do you mix it with anything (lemon or cordials and such)? Maybe investing in a water filter would be better than bottled water re: the sodium aspect?

Thanks guys, i don't drink the fizzy stuff, all filtered tap water. I don't think it helps that the glasses i use hold 500ml, so i tend to lose count.

Did you find it difficult swapping your coke for water at first? Or do you mix it with anything (lemon or cordials and such)?

I was a little difficult but i think it was habit more then anything, i only take nas squash to bed but even last night that was too sweet for me so i went and got water. I bought a large britta filter and its the best thing ever, keep it in the fridge so its always ice cold!

What does you bladder think?? It's almost like I'm drunk when I start, once I wee once that's me for the rest of the day at least once an hour!!!

Any tips on bladder training??!! x

Not to be the voice of doom but being thirsty all the time could be a sign of diabetes.. is it worth a check at the doctors? I'm sure it's not, but maybe just to be sure? :)

What does you bladder think?? It's almost like I'm drunk when I start, once I wee once that's me for the rest of the day at least once an hour!!!

Any tips on bladder training??!! x
Once my hubby is home in a evening its like changing of the guard -we are up n down stairs so much Im suprised the carpet has any pile left on it :p -still its all extra exercise I guess -especially as I do 50 "doo dahs" on my leg magic machine every time I go :p
Luckily my bladder is trained to not bother me once my head hits the pillow ;)

Not to be the voice of doom but being thirsty all the time could be a sign of diabetes.. is it worth a check at the doctors? I'm sure it's not, but maybe just to be sure? :)

While that is always possible, and you should always err on the safe side, it's VERY unlikely that diabetes suddenly popped up, coincidentally, at exactly the same time as you upped your water intake!

It's much more likely that, as you get your body used to drinking more, it wants more. You were probably dehydrated before, without realising, and your body is now learning how much more efficiently it functions with more water in it, so makes you feel thirsty so you'll give it more of what it wants!

My bladder is a big pain in the arse, don't think its used to being so full, not to bad at work or home because loo's are on the downstairs but a pain if i'm in bed! Regarding the diabetes i'll keep an eye on it, i go to the doctors monthly anyway so if its still bad in a few weeks i'll mention it. x

It does sound a lot but if you are comfortable drinking that much and are used to that much then I think there are a lot worse things you could be doing!
Beware though, I had a week where i drank loads on weigh-in day and gained 4lb despite sticking to plan. The next week I was 6lb lighter-was def the water as I average a 1lb weight loss.
As I said, if you are comfortable with it then fine Jen x

That is a lot of water, but not to much. Bear in mind, mst people are guilty of not drinking enough water on a daily basis.

If it was me, I would get a headache with that much lol.

Please bear in mind though, side-effect, or extra benefits of all that water is appetite suppressant, aids digestion and helps with constipation - the latter is a major complaint with dieters.

Keep on slurping the H20;)

Steve

A little while ago I drank loads of sparkling water, cant drink ordinary water at all, and somewhere on this forum there was a thread about it being very bad for your teeth. Sorry dont know where it was now, but perhaps a search would bring it up.

Back