Total 0% - how much is too much?!

Swakey

Hi there,

I am obsessed with this stuff!! I probably eat about 1 1/2 to 2 500g tubs per day plus sweetener. But how much is too much?!

Sx

In attack, 0% fat dairy is unlimited. In cruise, however, the absolute maximum is 1 kilo (including maxi 250ml skimmed milk). Most of us find 1K to be too much for good weight loss and some, myself included, rarely go over 400ml.

If you're losing weight at that level, why not... but if you'd like things to speed up, perhaps be more reasonable.

Total yogurt is expensive too, ive just invested in a yogurt maker the results are wonderful, lovely thick and creamy yogurt for the cost of a pint of milk.Cx

In attack, 0% fat dairy is unlimited. In cruise, however, the absolute maximum is 1 kilo (including maxi 250ml skimmed milk). Most of us find 1K to be too much for good weight loss and some, myself included, rarely go over 400ml.

Hi, just reading through some posts and took notice of your post above as I'm on day 1 of Cruise. I can't see where in my Dukan Diet Life Plan it mentions a maximum for 0% fat dairy. I have been reading and checking back on the Phase 2 and on the page for 'What can you eat' it doesn't list it as Tolerated? I can't even see where it mentions the max for skimmed milk?

It also says for PP days referback to the list of foods allowed in Phase 1 and for VP days it says to refer to the Phase 2 list which only mentions tolerated low fat creme fraiche and Emmenthal in the dairy section. To clarify it does mention other foods in the Tolerated list but no more regarding dairy.

I don't doubt you one bit as the Dukaneers know the rules inside out but I would like to know where I missed reading it? Many thanks, Saska

There have been different versions of the book Saska. Might depend on them. I'm noticing I'm not losing when I have over 250 ml skimmed milk, or when I have more dairy.

Saska - the books I have (original French and first English book) don't mention creme fraiche!
You need to bear in the mind that the book was writen about 15 years ago in French. He continued running his own private practice in Paris, and people who consulted him gave updates on internet. Then the French official site opened, and more up to date information directly from him was available, which was posted on French forums. But the original French book was then translated (poorly) about four years ago for the anglophone market, didn't include any internet updates, and since then, with the English now U.S. and Oz too official sites, and their I think realising that some of the UK products they originally deemed equivalent to French (ie Muller lites initially being ok now tolerated only), it's pretty impossible for anyone to keep up with his latest thoughts!

I don't expect that helps you much, but it's the background. The Lifeplan I won't buy because it's obviously yet another version remarketed and reworked, and obviously not quite as he'd originally intended... but why not if it works!

Tks but it really is all very confussing. I've already had a disaster in my first week by gaining 2 lbs through eating Philly.....I didn't know as I don't think any newbie would as the book says eat very low fat cream cheese which is what Philly is. Now this is another thing with the skimmed milk. I just want to do what's right but seems even the latest edition which is what I have I presume just purchasing it a couple of mths ago is quite misleading. I think Mr Dukan needs to get his act together...I'm not impressed with the way he's allowed all these books editions to go to print without stating updates at the front of the book. Also I cannot understand how people can cope without having a website like this to get advice as they could fall at the first hurdle as I almost did with the Philly.

What I think is that you Dukaneers...you people that have done the so called Dukan diet and succeeded and found the pitfalls and know the correct foods for us newbies to buy should write the next TRUE edition!!

I am really going to consider if I want to follow this eating plan as I just don't believe the book anymore. I see it as a waste of my time when I am now thinking as I read "is this OK to eat"....I think I've lost faith without having to bother you all on this forum.

I'm really busy with work and life etc and so dont have much time to consider another option at the moment but I will be looking around.

Anyway, good luck to everyone over the Jubilee weekend. Hope you all have a great time! Love Saska x

Saska - the books I have (original French and first English book) don't mention creme fraiche!
You need to bear in the mind that the book was writen about 15 years ago in French. He continued running his own private practice in Paris, and people who consulted him gave updates on internet. Then the French official site opened, and more up to date information directly from him was available, which was posted on French forums. But the original French book was then translated (poorly) about four years ago for the anglophone market, didn't include any internet updates, and since then, with the English now U.S. and Oz too official sites, and their I think realising that some of the UK products they originally deemed equivalent to French (ie Muller lites initially being ok now tolerated only), it's pretty impossible for anyone to keep up with his latest thoughts!

I don't expect that helps you much, but it's the background. The Lifeplan I won't buy because it's obviously yet another version remarketed and reworked, and obviously not quite as he'd originally intended... but why not if it works!

Tks for your post and the background but no it doesn't help infact the whole thing is so confussing to me a newbie. You say you wont buy the Lifeplan. Being a newbie I bought it as I want a diet or eating plan for life and so thought this is what the book was all about being as the name of the title suggests. Mr Dukan needs to remove his name from it then if it's not quite as he'd originally intended. Besides it can be quite dangerous and if he is a real life medical practitioner then he needs to be aware of the pitfalls in the latest books. And you know what... it's not working as my Philly disaster proved. It's only because of this forum and the help that I've not even gained even more lbs!

I often think of what my dear old Gran to say, " A little bit of what you fancy does you good" LOL I think she was referring to food :D but who knows.

Saska

Sorry to hear your loosing faith saska, it is a little trial and error to begin with but you will figure it out in the end like us guys :) I do and eat Dukan way without even thinking now and have lose a stone. Hope to stick to it but if not good luck :) xxx

Sorry to hear your loosing faith saska, it is a little trial and error to begin with but you will figure it out in the end like us guys :) I do and eat Dukan way without even thinking now and have lose a stone. Hope to stick to it but if not good luck :) xxx

Hey Jan, congratulations in losing a stone! Wow that is such a goal to reach...I always think imagine carrying around 14 lbs of spuds and then they're gone.....great news!

Yes I'll plod on for now just not sure what I'm doing as I cannot rely on the book but seems others do so I must be in the minority.

Have a great weekend.....Saska :)

Thank you, 2 stone to go!! I can understand where the confusion comes from but I think I'm ok as I only use yogurt to bake and cook with so I don't really get caught up worrying if I'm using to much if that makes sense? And I buy small tubs of cottage cheese if having for lunch so I know I'm not over doing the dairy (hate quark just can't get it to taste nice!!!) I have 2 eggs a day and loadsa meat! Loadsa water can't go wrong really! The trick is spices to make meals different l couldn't live without them now!

Because I use yogurt to bake and cook I've kind of went off eating it on its own a bit so that's maybe why I don't eat a lot of it rather have sf jelly now as a treat :)

If you eat loads of protein, egg, allowance of oatbran, loads of water and not go mental on the dairy you should be ok. Stay away from packed meats as god knows what they made with at times!!

Sorry for ramble hope it is of some use ;)

Xxx

Ok Saska,

here is the link to the list of food we 'oldies' tend to follow. It's taken straight from the UK edition of the book, reposted by Maintainer earlier this year.

http://www.minimins.com/dukan-diet/254782-list-dukan-safe-foods-new-people.html

Dairy needs to be Fat free (also called 0% when in fact it is usually 0.1%) and in the pre-Lifeplan edition of the book it does refer to a 'maximum of 1L / 1kg dairy' and only 250ml skimmed milk. If I get the chance to look tonight I'll give you the page number. Other description for dairy as 'low fat' or 'extra low fat' can be very confusing so I would always check the label for the grams of fat per 100gr. If it's more than 1 for dairy then stay clear. Milk also had Carbs in the form of Lactose which is why milk specifically (but not yoghurt etc) is explicitly limited top 250ml. I don't think I ever measured or actively restricted my dairy intake and I had no porblems but I have the feeling that I did not usually reack the 1kglmit. I also had the lowest fat Cottage that *I could find* cheese throughout, and a lot of the times that was 1.2% fat from Saisbury's. These are small details that might slow you down a bit but should not make you fail altogether.

Then there are 'extras' or 'tolerateds' which some people use when they get fed up, like EL Philly (one tablespoon/day) or sugar free jelly (3 portions a day) but to start with you really ought to concentrate on the basics and not be side tracked by the 'treats'. They were never mentioned in 'the original' book but it sounds like they are now, and maybe that's what's causing the confusion? In many cases the exact type and brand matter, for example I don;t thin there is any hard cheese available in the UK that fulfils the less than 7% fat rule to be a tolerated (or whatever it was), of the 'lemon flavoured yoghurt' that was mentioned in the first book, so we all stuck to plain yoghurt.

Good luck - keep it simple, stay away from any prepared or precooked foods and you should be FINE. Think 'no fat no carbs no sugar' that should do the trick when deciding if something is "safe to eat"

Ok Saska,

here is the link to the list of food we 'oldies' tend to follow. It's taken straight from the UK edition of the book, reposted by Maintainer earlier this year.

http://www.minimins.com/dukan-diet/254782-list-dukan-safe-foods-new-people.html

Dairy needs to be Fat free (also called 0% when in fact it is usually 0.1%) and in the pre-Lifeplan edition of the book it does refer to a 'maximum of 1L / 1kg dairy' and only 250ml skimmed milk. If I get the chance to look tonight I'll give you the page number. Other description for dairy as 'low fat' or 'extra low fat' can be very confusing so I would always check the label for the grams of fat per 100gr. If it's more than 1 for dairy then stay clear. Milk also had Carbs in the form of Lactose which is why milk specifically (but not yoghurt etc) is explicitly limited top 250ml. I don't think I ever measured or actively restricted my dairy intake and I had no porblems but I have the feeling that I did not usually reack the 1kglmit. I also had the lowest fat Cottage that *I could find* cheese throughout, and a lot of the times that was 1.2% fat from Saisbury's. These are small details that might slow you down a bit but should not make you fail altogether.

Then there are 'extras' or 'tolerateds' which some people use when they get fed up, like EL Philly (one tablespoon/day) or sugar free jelly (3 portions a day) but to start with you really ought to concentrate on the basics and not be side tracked by the 'treats'. They were never mentioned in 'the original' book but it sounds like they are now, and maybe that's what's causing the confusion? In many cases the exact type and brand matter, for example I don;t thin there is any hard cheese available in the UK that fulfils the less than 7% fat rule to be a tolerated (or whatever it was), of the 'lemon flavoured yoghurt' that was mentioned in the first book, so we all stuck to plain yoghurt.

Good luck - keep it simple, stay away from any prepared or precooked foods and you should be FINE. Think 'no fat no carbs no sugar' that should do the trick when deciding if something is "safe to eat"

Thank you so much for going to all the trouble of making that long post just to help me!! One question you talk about fats are we looking at Saturated Fats or just Fats?

I don't dare think about treats ie jelly or the like...I just stick to the carbs and maybe a little steamed veg on VP days. Treats are way down the line for me...need to shift some blubber to think of jelly and tbh I'm not hungry once I've drank my water throughout the day and eaten protein.

I will digest all in the link and thank you once again. Have a great long weekend, Saska x

Back