TOTALLY confused.

paul1978

DO NOT QUIT !
I have totally and utterly confused myself and my head is now spinning whenever I think about dieting and losing weight. I have 7 stone to lose. I have lost it all a couple years ago with Cambridge Diet but unfortunately, put it all back on. I would love to go back on it or some other VLCD, but as I am unemployed and don;t get JSA, I cannot afford a VLCD anymore.

I've whittled the choices down to WeightWatchers, Slimming World or Slim Fast. Weight Watchers I done few years ago, was quite successful but it took too long. I know the argument about if it comes off slowly the better your body will adjust to it, but I want (need) to lose the weight as quickly as possible. So that has whittled it down to Slimming World or Slim Fast. I have a weeks worth of Slim Fast in my cupboard, so I might as well use that up and maybe see how it goes. But I have seen many successes on Slimming World and I have seen a few articles on SW people losing a stone per month on it. Like I said, I am TOTALLY confused with what to do.

This is more of a rant than anything, but if anyone has any tips or suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Paul.

Sf is meant to drop weight quicker but can be risky as it cuts out some food and some may struggle down the line. S world is meant to be a life change to help you lose weight but weight loss is encouraged to be slower

If money is difficult why not try calorie counting instead? Rather than giving your money to a slimming organisation you can teach yourself the good foods to lose weight with and follow diet recipes online that are already calorie counted and teach yourself for life rather than relying on VLCDs or plans. It's healthier in the long run.

Hi, I'm in a very similar situation. I have 8st to loose and cannot afford a vlcd and provide for my 12 week old baby! I decided to calorie count instead. I found using my fitness pal the easiest way. Feel free to get the ap ( it's free ) and add me as a friend. We can do it together. You can also see my food diaries and work out what you can do. I limit to 700 cals per day.
My username is rosieposie88.

Hope to see you there soon. X

I've just joined MyFitnessPal, looks really good. Are you sure 700 kcals a day is going to be enough Posie? I'd pass out on so little!

Hiya, I have no idea. I find it really easy to stick to. When I did lighter life I was only having 500 cals per day so would think the weight loss would be similar. But I've been doing it for 5 days and so far my scales show no change. Xx

pogle88 said:
Hi, I'm in a very similar situation. I have 8st to loose and cannot afford a vlcd and provide for my 12 week old baby! I decided to calorie count instead. I found using my fitness pal the easiest way. Feel free to get the ap ( it's free ) and add me as a friend. We can do it together. You can also see my food diaries and work out what you can do. I limit to 700 cals per day.
My username is rosieposie88.

Hope to see you there soon. X

I don't think it's wise to limit ourself to 700 cals, your body will go into starvation mode. Also I personally think it could be dangerous, especially if you are trying to look after a 12 week old baby too! As someone else said, you shouldn't be going lower than 1200 a day, unless you are following an approved VLcD with the correct monitoring in place :(

Yeah I can not afford the slimming clubs. I decided on a lifestyle change and calorie counting. It means exercise and eating healthier less calorie meals. I know you want to lose quickly but if you take a diet which can not be done for life, what will happen is it will all back on the minute you come off it. And these type of diets can not be done for life. I lost 5 stone and the minute I came off it it all came back with an extra few stones! And starvation mode will mean more fat will be stored when you come off it as your body will cling to anything it has. The approved ones like WW or VCLD which are approved work well bcause they make sure these things do not happen. I think a low calorie diet and exercise is something you can do for life but probably wont be as fat as some of the others. The least I lost doing it this way was 1.5lb a week but most weeks I am losing around 3-5lbs a week.

Last edited:
Hiya, I have no idea. I find it really easy to stick to. When I did lighter life I was only having 500 cals per day so would think the weight loss would be similar. But I've been doing it for 5 days and so far my scales show no change. Xx

The difference between calorie counting 700 cals of ordinary food and a VLCD at 500 cals is that with the VLCD you will get sufficient protein and also your daily requirements of vitamins and minerals. They are specially formulated to provide this nutrition, and even so, should only be followed under medical supervision, because with such a low calorie intake, there is a risk of gallstones, metabolic abnormalities, and heart problems. With DIY calorie counting - there is no guarantee you are getting enough nutrition, and you are putting yourself at risk.

A few days won't hurt, but please don't do this for any longer.

Slimming World, Slimming World, Slimming World! Do it. You won't regret it :p It teaches you the correct eating habits for life as well and it's good they offer free weigh ins once you reach your target, so it will help you maintain. x

I'd try calorie counting it's free I've done sw and hated it lost less in 5 months then what I've done cc... My bro in laws gf has been doing sw a week longer than I've been cc and I've lost 23.5lbs an she only lost 13.5lbs... So it's up to you but I'd really try cc... I average 2lb losses a week.. My hubby's doing it also and loves it cos it's so easy :)

dont know if u are in the uk or not but some areas have referrals to weight management classes
you can get a referral via your GP some do slimming world, some to weight watchers others do rosemary Conley the normal criteria is BMI over 30 sometime upto 35 and want to lose weight.

it maybe wrth asking yur GP what's available in your area x

i wish you the very best of luck x

Back