Tractor Girl has just completed her 5k fun run ..............yay !!!!!

Tractor girl

Hello all, pleased to report that I completed my first 5k today, in the pouring rain, was amazing, I kept a steady pace and even managed to sprint for the last 100m, I have my medal and could cry with the sense of achievement.

For anyone following the plan I only started the couch25k plan 5 weeks ago but have ran every other day hence had finished week 6 on Friday (25 mins) I ran the whole way even though I thought I would have to walk part of it.......................... five weeks ago I could not run more than 60 seconds, was shocked at how hard running is and could not believe how unfit I was, I have followed the NHS plan to the letter, followed a low fat diet and have done some type of cardiovascular exercise on an almost daily basis even though I am still nearly 2 stone overweight ..........................if I can do it anyone can, don't give up and trust in your plan x

Well done Tractor Girl! You should be really proud of yourself - it's a great achievement in such a short time.

You can do it :)
You don't have to run, you can walk, part run part walk, however you want to do it really. There's usually a really great atmosphere which makes it great fun too.
My only advice would be to be careful. I haven't been able to run for a while now as I find the impact doesn't go well with a neck problem I'm currently having investigated! The running plans are good, that 1st minute feels like forever but it soon builds up into 3, 5, 10, 60!

Well done! My neice has just asked me to do the 5k Race for Life with her in 7 weeks.....at 4 stone overweight and not a runner at all is this going to be even possible?

Hello, my advice to you is to follow a training plan, one of the best is the NHS couch to 5k programme, if you have an ipod or iphone you can download the podcast, if not there are lots of apps you can use.

I would start the plan asap, it gently trains you week by week, you start but running for 60 secs and then walking etc etc follow the plan to the letter and in 7 weeks you should be able to run for 25 mins non-stop. I found it so hard initially because I was overweight and unfit but by the 7th week could run for 25 mins and actually enjoyed it.

Another tip is to do some kind of other activity on your 'rest days' to improved your cardiocvascular fitness, good luck and let us know how you get on x

Back