Tractor Girl's couch to 5k started today !!!!!

Tractor girl

Hello all, I was so disheartened with losing only half a pound last week despite completing 8 exercise classes and incorporating walking into my daily routine (parking the car 15 mins away from work) that I have started the couch to 5k NHS challenge today.

The reason I have started this is that jogging is one of the best ways to lose weight and I so want to lose the last 2.5 stone at a rate of more than half a pound a week

The plan is posted online and is a 9 week training package to get you from the couch to 5k (running for 30 mins continuously) in that time.

I am overweight but am undertaking a lot of cardiovascular exercise hence thought that I would be able to cope with the plan for the first week which is a 20 min session every other day where you walk briskly for 5 mins as a warm up then jog for 60 seconds followed by walking for 90 seconds for a period of 20 mins......................................... how wrong was I !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was tough, if you are an ex-smoker and overweight and not very fit running for 60 seconds every 90 seconds for 20 mins is harder than you think but boy did I feel good afterwards, would love to hear from anyone else that is doing it, hoping it will help me to get fit and lose the weight that I want quicker, am still going to walk and do about 5 aerobics/zumba classes a week........ will keep you all posted

Last edited:
Hi there, been to a body conditioning class tonight (50 mins high intensity areobics followed by ten mintues of sit-ups) having a rest day from jogging which is what the couch to 5k challenge suggests so will be back on it tommorow ......................

Last edited:
Hello all, second session of the couch to 5k programme today, 5 min brisk walk followed by 20 mins of 60 secs running and 120 secs walking,was tough but felt better after I had finished, now off to a zumba class !!!!!

Hello all, rest day from running today, have just been to a RC aerobics class followed by a RC Zumba class ( I am off work today) and then I will be going to another Zumba class tonight, hoping I have lost more than half a pound when I get weighed tomorrow night !!

Hello all, just completed session three of couch to 5k, same as the first two, 5 mins brisk walk and then 20 mins of 60 secs running and 90 secs walking, would love to say it felt easier but it didn't just cannot ever see me running for half an hour non-stop at the end of this but am going to give it my best shot................. Now off to weigh-in and Zumba, have a horrible feeling that I have not lost despite all my best efforts :( will let you know later

Hello all, should have had a rest day today but I have been bad - had an indian last night as an Easter treat, admittedly I have nothing like the portion that I would have prior to starting this but still way over the 5% fat rule - to counteract this I have moved onto session four of the couch to 5k, same as above and I hate to say it but it is NOT getting any easier, and I am doing a lot of other exercise, may have to repeat week one before moving to week two, anyway I got through it, hopefully have burnt off anything that I out on........................... am gagging for a piece of chocolate and if I succumb then it is a 15 mile walk for me tomorrow.....................

Hello all, rest day today but due to eating half a small mini egg easter egg yesterday had to do something so have just done a 10k brisk walk (over 7 miles with hlls) took 1 hr 35 mins, should have sorted it out...................... problem is I have had half a bottle of rose tonight, some maltesers and choc buttons, don't know what is wrong with me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! going to have to do something drastic tomorrow to rectify this................ Week 2 of the couch to 5k starts tomorrow - 5 mins brisk walk followed by 90 secs of running followed by 120 secs of walking for 20 mins, don't know how I am going to cope with this as running for 60 secs is bad enough, following this I am playing badminton singles, wish me luck, will keep you posted.....................

Hello again, just completed session one of week 2, 5 min walk followed by 20 mins of 90 secs running and 120 secs walking, must say was not as hard as I thought but believe that it is due to listening to a bit of advice on the general couchto5k thread, not to run too fast !! 30 mins non-stop still seems a long way off but please to have completed first session of week 2. Off to badminton in a bit .......................

Hello all, rest day today, I have been really bad foodwise over the Easter weekend, just couldn't help myself !!! need to get back on track tomorrow, rest day from the running today so did 45 mins Combat Cardio taped from Sky 282 Fitness Channel, really need to get my butt in gear as doing a 5k fun run for charity 5 wks from today !!!

Hi all, just finished session 2 week 2, 5 mins warm up then 20 mins of 90 secs jogging and 120 secs walking, not too bad but the silly app I was using was drowned out by traffic, he-ho off to a Cardio Combat class

Hi all, no exercise today shock horror, rest day from running and had to cancel Zumba as had to go out this eve, I did a 15 min walk to work and back from where I park my car !!! Back to the exercise tomorrow and weigh-in eeek !!!

Hello all, after 2 days of not exercising I have just completed my final training session of week 2 couch25k,m going to do 10 mins of abs tonight and then a zumb classanday off tomorrow, cannot squeeze anything in as working all day and eve. Sunday I begin session one week three, am going to walk to OH's first (7 miles) and then play badminton singles, will let you know how I get on x

Hello all, just completed run one week 3 which consisted of a 5 min brisk walk to warm up followed by 20 mins of the following......................90 running, 90 secs walking, 3 mins running and 3 mins walking then 90 seconds running followed by 90 seconds walking then a 3 min run followed by a 3 min walk. I then managed to walk for another 15 mins which included another run, not too bad, all about pacing yourself.

I am chuffed with myself as earlier on today I managed to complete the Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk in my lounge (on youtube) she is fantastic and well worth a look.......

You can either do one section (mile) at a time or do it all in one go, I really enjoyed it, have posted link below x

Part 1Leslie Sansone Walk at Home 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk 68 min Fitness DVDRip TG Segment100 00 00 00 12 32 - YouTube

Hello all, when I got home from work today walked 3 miles in my lounge with Leslie Sansone via youtube and then after dinner and a rest completed run 2 week three of couch to 5k, found it ok but feel it may get harder from next week.

Hi there, I go to badminton, do 2 -3 Zumba classes, Body conditioning class, TKO Combat class then just started doing the Leslie Sansone at home and I do the training for the couch to 5k around the estate where I live, I also park 15 mins away from where I work and walk to work, really think all these changes ( and I really used to be a couch potato) are helping, hope you are getting on ok

1 stone 11lbs officially but I did start to exercise and walk long before I joined RC hence think I was approx half a stone heavier that when I first joined.

All my stats are to the left of my post ! x

Back