Transition to real food, and Exante's Stabiliser Steps

BijouHope

How are you all planning to maintain your weight loss once you eventually get to target? I love reading other people's plans so I thought I'd share my intention here (since I've just spent ages working it all out).

Having regained five stone after a previous diet, I am determined that this time I will maintain the weight loss properly when I eventually get back to my target weight. My ultimate aim is to adopt a sort of maintenance-level crossover between low GI and paleo/primal (allowing the occasional splurge for high days and holidays), with two days of intermittent fasting each week for health reasons.

Right now, I have just started week 6 of Exante's Total Solution, and I plan to stick with that for the remaining stocks of my current mixed bumper pack (so another three weeks, making eight in total). After that, I would like to start reintroducing food again, because I am a bit concerned that by just eating packs, I am abdicating responsibility for eating correctly rather than building a habit for the future. Also, to be honest, I am getting a bit bored!

But I still have a lot of weight to lose (more than four stone from today), so I need to make sure that the food I start to introduce is compatible with weight loss as well as with my ultimate goal. "The New High Protein Diet" (a book by Dr Charles Clark and Maureen Clark) seems to fit the bill quite well for this, being a fairly moderate low-carb regime broadly in keeping with both my end plan and Exante's recommendations for Stabiliser Steps.

So here is my transition plan:

• Week 1: Two days of Exante Total Solution, five days of two Exante packs plus evening meal
  • Week 2: Two days of Exante Total Solution, five days of one Exante pack plus lunch and evening meal
  • Weeks 3 to 8: Two days of Exante Total Solution, five days of three meals
  • Weeks 9 to 14: One day of Exante Total Solution, one day of 500 calories, five days of three meals
  • Week 15 until target weight achieved: Two days of 500 calories, five days of three meals
  • Maintenance: Two days of 500 calories, five days of gradually-introduced low GI

So I am planning to shift from Exante to the higher-calorie "The New High Protein Diet" over the 14 weeks following my initial eight weeks on Total Solution, and to stick to that until I reach target. After that, I will shift to low-GI for most of the week. Unfortunately, I don't lose weight following low-GI on its own, but I'm hoping that it will work for me as a maintenance approach.

To make sure that I don't chicken out, I have already ordered the Exante supplies that I need to implement this plan. I have opted for the build-your-own bumper pack this time, because I need non-standard numbers of soups, bars and shakes. This is great because I don't have to have the ones I don't like! Allowing for the purchase of three extra bars (which are handy as an emergency backup if I'm out for the day), I need exactly one 4-week-bumper-pack's worth of Exante products, which is convenient.

So there we go. Are you all planning to stay on Exante until you reach target? If you are shifting to a real-food diet, how do you plan to make the transition? And how do you plan to maintain your weight once you reach target?

I think your plan sounds very good. I lost 2 stone last year and regained it, I'm a slow loser and I think the idea of months and months of dieting annoyed me and I ended up binging. I'm also very sensitive to carbs and sugar, so my plan this time is to follow a combination of TS & WS until I see 9st 6lbs on the scales, then I plan to switch to a primal diet with occasional treats and gluten free bread sometimes and lots of running. I'm deternined to never be in this position again, I just want to be slim fit and healthy for lifr.Good luck with your plan

Hi happy&healthy. That's what happened to me, too. I had been following a diet very, very strictly for more than seven months, and simply couldn't face the recommended thirteen months of "consolidation" phase, which was basically the same diet but with specific additions. When we had a very stressful year, it was too easy to let the diet slip by the wayside, and I comfort ate (and drank wine!) to get through it. Knowing that none of the things I was consoling myself with were allowed on the plan I was meant to be following, it was easier to drop the plan entirely.

I don't want to do that again. But I don't want to be stuck on an unappetising diet for life, either. So, rather than focus just on the weight loss phase, I want to make sure that I know how I want to eat in the future, and how I can maintain my weight by eating that way. I want to be sure that what I am doing now takes me towards that real goal of permanent weight control, and not just towards a target weight (which, as we both know, is only a temporary thing if we're not careful).

After thinking about it quite a lot, I have decided that a diet based on Primal-plus-pulses (or Paleo-plus-dairy-plus-pulses, or GI-with-extremely-limited-grains) is the way forward for me. I will keep the pulses/legumes for after I have reached my target weight, and introduce them gradually during maintenance. Like you, I will allow occasional treats of anything I fancy - I plan to restrict these to weekends and special occasions. And I hope that the two days of intermittent fasting will take care of any discrepancies.

Good luck with your journey to 9st 6lbs, and to a slim and healthy future thereafter!

This is a very robust looking plan! I was planning on the same for weeks 1-3 but I plan on keeping to a 5:2 with exante from then on to maintain my weight and make it easier to go back on for a short period if I start to regain. I'm certainly looking forward to eating again!!

I did 1 week of 2 exante packs and 1 meal and then 2nd week of 1 pack and 2 meals and then onto 3 meals!

Up to last Thursday I had maintained but my scales have got lost in transit some where during my moving process so I don't know how I'm doing since then, with moving in and having no fridge it's been hard to eat completely healthy and we have had a few sweets and chocolates and a lot of beer this weekend so I'm pulling it back this week and hopefully when I find my scales i won't have done too much damage lol

Back