Travel to the USA

Laura1981

Hi everyone

This is my first post on here although been reading the board for some time now - looking for a bit of advice and hope you can help me.

I am going to Florida for 2 weeks at the beginning of Sept and the plan is to stay on the plan basically! So will have to take a lot of packs with me.

However I am really worried incase I get my packs taken off me at the airport. I know a lot of you guys have taken them abroad without any problems but I'm worried cos security going to the States is probably going to be extra strict... anyone had any problems? Would a letter from my counsellor be sufficient? Or should I phone the airline in advance?

Finally should I carry my packs in my hand luggage or my case or perhaps an emergency supply in hand luggage and the rest in my case?

Help! Thanks xxx

Welcome to Minimins.

One of our regulars, Blonde Logic, recently went to California for a 4 weeks, so took absolutely loads of packs - she had no problem (that I know of). So take your packs, and enjoy your hols.

Thats right - there were no issues at all. But as I went for a month, I had LOADS - I broked them down into packs of about 8-10 in the BIG ziploc bags (in case any breakage). Then I could pack them flat. I put some in each suitcase. And even has some in my carry on - bars to eat on the plane, and packs for the arrival that night.

Noone had an issue with it or asked a thing about it. Wen t completely unnoticed. That was from Heathrow to San Francisco and New York.

You should be fine. :)

Thanks very much, feel better about it now :D

How did u cope with the time difference? Do u think for example I should have 5 packs on my first day and then 3 on the day I come back since I think Florida is about 5 hours behind?

Thanks again xxx

Hi Laura

Well, that part was tricky as I was going further to California, so there was an 8 hour difference. I made the conscious decision to just eat packs as hungry until I got to the destination and got onto a holiday routine. I never worked out if I had one too many packs on the travel days or not enough, but I just didn;t worry about the travel days. Its tricky when you are traveling by place for a lenth of time. Just do the best you can. :)

And abstaining on hols is soooo worth it, so good luck - I lost a stone and a half while I was away, and was so happy that it was lost, and that I did not HAVE to lose it when we got home, as were previous trips! :D

Good luck!

I took some shakes and bars to spain a couple of weeks ago, they were in my hand luggage.. Got asked what they were for and said I need them to live as I can't eat normal food... ( oops ) , got thru ok.

I don't think there will be much problems though. Although their security can be quite strict but I do not think they will really cause you a hassle just because of these packs.

Anything regarding the volume that are allowed?

As they are powder, not liquid, there is no limit.

The best thing to do is carry as few with you as possible. Just take waht you will need to you get checked in and settled, then pack the bulk in your suitcase, and if you are taking two suitcases, split the packs in the event one suitcase gets lost. (This is the voice of experience ;) I had forgotten about that bit)

It will be fine. :)

Back