Treadmill Question?

Sher

Hiya,

I've been going to the gym for about 6/7 weeks now and enjoy using the treadmill. But... is it better to walk/run faster on a low incline OR go slower on a steeper incline? Fat burning wise I mean?

As a personal trainer, I can say without doubt that the majority of my clients all see better results by using a steep incline.

(However, this is combined with metabolic weight training exercises and good nutrition so these all play a part)

Justin

Thanks Kirsty and Justin, that's brill :) Ok so when you say steep, how steep are we talking? lol I did 6.0 speed on a 5.0 incline, is that enough or am I a right wimp? lol

What's 'enough' depends on your individual fitness level.

I've found great results from a 15-30 minute treadmill workout (done after your resistance training).

Here's an outline of a 6 week treadmill program you can try:

Week 1: Walk for 15 minutes on a level of speed and incline that challenge you but that you can still manage. As long as you are pushing yourself and are at a speed where you are power walking rather than jogging or running. Perform this 3-5 times in the week (depending on how your legs feel afterwards - if you are very sore then wait a couple of days until you feel that you can do it)

Week 2: Walk for 20 minutes, at the same incline and speed as week 1.

Week 3: Walk for 25 minutes, at the same incline and speed as weeks 1 and 2.

Week 4: Walk for 15 minutes, at the same speed but increase the Incline by one point.

Week 5: Walk for 20 minutes at the same speed and incline as week 4.

Week 6: Walk for 25 minutes at the same speed and incline as last week.

At this point, continue this pattern, or if you really want a challenge try something similar on the Stepper Machine.

Justin

Back