Tried on my old wedding dress...

Bagpuss

It used to be one of those old women's mags 'have you let yourself go? ' tests when I was growing up - "Ladies, does your wedding dress still fit you?"

Last night I hauled out my wedding dress from 3 years ago - size 30 - and tried it on my size 16/18 self. Er ...

It puddled around my feet by 6 inches. The sleeves were 3 inches past the tips of my fingers. There was room enough to get a small child in there. It looked like it had been made for another person.

But ... it was my wedding dress :)

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or get another set of photos done!

Anyone else felt like this???

Ha ha, yes that happened to me! My wedding dress was a size 20/22 - put it on a few weeks ago and it dropped to the floor :eek::eek::cry::D :bliss:

Wow!
Well done Bagpuss!!

I wouldnt be able to get into my dress yet, as it is a size 18 and I am a 22/24....however I will get there!!

Weird feeling, isn't it Kath? Kind of yay but ... sooo weird!

I've been getting this urge to sneak into bridal shops and try on dresses in my new size just to see what I 'would' have looked like :eek: ...it's all getting a bit Muriel's Wedding :D

You''ll get there in no time, Mrs V! Just think what it'll feel like when you slip it on and it fits ... you DESERVE that dress!

Weird feeling, isn't it Kath? Kind of yay but ... sooo weird!

I've been getting this urge to sneak into bridal shops and try on dresses in my new size just to see what I 'would' have looked like :eek: ...it's all getting a bit Muriel's Wedding :D

You''ll get there in no time, Mrs V! Just think what it'll feel like when you slip it on and it fits ... you DESERVE that dress!

Lol, oh yes I sooo know what you mean! I didn't go into any bridal shops when I bought mine, got it from Monsoon because I could try it on without anyone looking - well that's a lie, I went into one shop in Birmingham but they told me all their dresses were a size 12, every single one and I'd have to just pick the one I wanted to order :eek:

So if anyone sees two women sneaking into wedding shops pretending the big day is soon to be it'll be us :giggle:

Yeah I was kind of, ooh yay it's to big :D oh gosh, I was really big when I got married :(

To compound it a friend recently said to me "I bet you're gutted when you look back at your wedding photos now aren't you" :eek: She then stumbled a bit and was trying to recover the situation that she'd dug herself into by saying that of course I looked beautiful on my wedding day but wouldn't it be nice to get married at this size, which of course it would be! They wouldn't get me out of those dress shops now lol

Hi, I am going to have some new pics done when I have lost weight as I was a size 22 zand 5 months pregnant when I got married :)
I am desperate for a beautiful wedding portrait and will have this done when we retake our vows....
I also desperatly want a beautiful family portrait photo done, as I have always been too embarrassed, and love the look of these modern family pics, with mum and dad and kids lounging on the floor iykwim

I've never worn a wedding dress: first time around I wore a maternity dress :eek: and second time around I wore a trouser suit ... I felt too fat and unattractive to wear anything 'pretty'.

Maybe if I ever get to that elusive goal I'll look out for one in a charity shop or Ebay and see what it would have felt like to be a princess :)

I dug mine out the other day when I was sorting out my wardrobe. I am a little heavier than I was when i got married 6 years ago, but my dress fits perfectly. Im going to put it on ebay as its beautiful and cost £600 but I obviously will never wear it again.

I know people will think I should keep it for sentimental value but I just remember being a miserable size 20 and although it was a wonderful day, I hate the pictures as I was so fat and still am.

Im finally doing something about the weight now though and so feel it is the right time to part with the dress.

I can SO relate to what everyone's written on here!!! :)

Kath, your friend needs her foot inserted IN her mouth FOR her ... !!!

Trouble is with comments like that, they get to you because part of you is thinking exactly the same thing ... even though I bet you looked beautiful in your Monsoon dress. But yep, I'll be looking out for the other 'fake bride' hanging around wedding shops from now on ... I won't tell if you don't! :D

Our wedding days are so special and I wouldn't change a single thing about mine - except that size 30 dress. It wasn't my 'dream dress' in any way, shape or form - it was a compromise and I knew it and there I am in the pictures, frozen in time, size 30. It shouldn't matter, should it!

I smiled when I read the post about looking out for a fairytale dress on Ebay! ... there's a beautiful size 18 Monsoon wedding dress there at the moment I've been seriously thinking about buying and playing dressing up in private :D

And then the post about having pics retaken - glad I'm not the only one thinking of this! - one of the treats we've got planned for reaching Goal is to have a professional portrait of us taken - evening dress, I think, but I might slip in a shot of me in that Ebay dress, just for the two of us ... I'd love to display pictures that I'm truly proud of!

PS wannalose8stone - good on you for parting with the dress if you feel it's time. It's hard to think of letting it go, isn't it, but I hope you buy something really gorgeous in your new size when you make the sale ...here's to the future :)

It used to be one of those old women's mags 'have you let yourself go? ' tests when I was growing up - "Ladies, does your wedding dress still fit you?"

Last night I hauled out my wedding dress from 3 years ago - size 30 - and tried it on my size 16/18 self. Er ...

It puddled around my feet by 6 inches. The sleeves were 3 inches past the tips of my fingers. There was room enough to get a small child in there. It looked like it had been made for another person.

But ... it was my wedding dress :)

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or get another set of photos done!

Anyone else felt like this???

that is fabulous !! well done you :D

take some photos.....pleeeeaaaase....;)

Debz xx

LOL ... pics in my too-big wedding dress? That'd make you all choke with mirth on your shakes! :D

awww go on !!! you know you want to !!!! ;);)

Debz xx

LOL OK...you asked for it. I'll have to chop my head off, though :eek: as I suspect a member of my family browses on here and I'd never hear the last of it ...cruel bunch, they are :D

LOL OK...you asked for it. I'll have to chop my head off, though :eek: as I suspect a member of my family browses on here and I'd never hear the last of it ...cruel bunch, they are :D

YAY !!! you go girl !!! be proud of what you have achieved !!

chop away......;):p

love

Debz xx

My husband thinks I'm insane. Took him this long to find out? :confused:

Second pic holding the dress in to my new waist!

Attachments

• weddingdressbig.jpg
    weddingdressbig.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 49
  • weddingdresssmaller.jpg
    weddingdresssmaller.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 48
What a beautiful dress - and my word what a lovely slim lady wearing the dress. Well done Bagpuss you look fantastic.

I don't think you are insane - I regularly get my old big jeans out (only kept the biggest pair) and try them on just to show myself how far I have come and to motivate myself to keep on the straight and narrow - but saying that my OH thinks its a bit weird too :confused:

Thanks so much Ruthlet - that's given me a big smile this evening!

I can't believe we're the only people to keep hold of a bit of clothing from our biggest size ... don't know about you, but trying to walk upstairs in my old jeans and having them fall around my ankles really cheers me up on days when I need motivation!

yeah, we're mad - lovin' it :D

Back