Truth About Food - Water!

Discussion in 'Nutrition, Health & Beauty' started by Marie_D, 1 February 2007 Social URL.

1. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

Anyone watch it tonight?!

They just did a test on water, and water alone (apparently) doesn't keep you full longer! The theory is this...

Water passes straight through the stomach, it stretches the stomach briefly but doesn't hang around, it just goes straight through you so it doesn't actually keep you feeling full.

If however you mix water with solids (ie soups), it is thicker and stays in the stomach longer which means you feel full longer.

It made real sense when I watched it...but of course that's just an opinion...everyone has something different to say about everything regarding diets!

Just thought I'd share :D

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Fionauk

Fionauk Full Member

Diet:
    Following Paul Mckennas book - I can make you thin
    Hi there

Im new here (first post) Just wanted to say that i had seen this too and also found it very interesting. Its certainly worth trying

p.s i hope i have posted this as a reply and not a new post! :eek:

4. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
  5. Sparkle

Sparkle Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I've also heard that if you just gulp it down, it goes straight through. But if you sip it, it takes longer to pass through.

I have to admit that I find it strange how similar 'thirst' and 'hunger' feel. Lately if I've been feeling 'hungry' I've had a drink, and it's gone away. Shows how much I still have to learn about my body and what it's trying to tell me!

6. AmandaJayne

AmandaJayne Trainee Maintainer

Imariedr,

Yes, in fact I'm just watching it now! I taped it because it clashed with the last episode of Five Days!

It is facinating, isn't it?

7. Diva

Diva Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Fantastic programme tonight - it had loads of fascinating info which was a real revelation to me!!

I am moving this thread into the General Weight Loss section so that others on other programmes can see it as well.

8. AmandaJayne

To sum up, it seems that the experiment with the water intake concluded that if you drink water before your meal you temporarily fill your stomach (it sends a message to the brain to this effect) but that this water leaves the stomach quickly leaving it empty again (and leaves another message to the brain).

HOWEVER ...

If you eat liquid mixed with solid (i.e. soup), before your meal, the stomach is filled again and tells your brain that it is full, and crucially the stomach stays fuller because the soup stays in it for longer. Your brain still believes that the stomach is full and sends messages telling you to eat less.

At this point, you can chose to listen to the message from your brain and stop eating, or you can ignore it and finish everything on your plate and have a pudding! (Like I used to do).

Hope this helps ...

Mini likes this.
  9. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(9.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I watched it last night and thought it was very good!!!

It was also good how they showed that the lady who was on the diet found it hard at times to stick with her diet, but she still kept going...

I wonder is she still doing her diet now the show is over and the cameras are not there.

My husband was drooling over her cooking, so was I!!!

Love Mini xxx

10. Sparkle

Sparkle Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    But doesn't it take about 3 minutes for the message that your stomach is full to get to your brain? Therefore if you have a glass of water before your meal, although it only temporarily fills your stomach, by the time your brain has registered it's full - with the amount of food you've eaten in that time it probably is!?

Does that make sense?

11. AmandaJayne

Hia Sparkle!

The experiment was between two pairs of volunteers, one set who drank water and the other set who had soup. The set who had soup subsequently ate less than the other pair.

I think drinking water with a meal is a good thing anyway, but this experiment seems to suggest having a soup 'starter' too. I will certainly consider that (particularly if it is my own homemade lentil!)

12. Sparkle

Sparkle Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Hi AmandaJayne. Thanks for explaining that.

I might look at the possibility of having soup before some meals. Especially as I've got the WW ones which are only 1 or 1.5 points each (Tomato, and Vegetable).

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.