Try These: Low Carb Spiced Strawberry Muffins - 3.1g net carbs each

SandyT

Low Carb Spiced Strawberry Muffins

(Makes 6 large muffins) (net carb breakdown after each ingredient)
(Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees celsius)

30g Coconut Flour (I use Tiana) 6.4g
30g Unsweetened Desiccated Coconut 1.9g (Whitworth's used here, Crazy Jacks has slightly higher net carbs)
30g Ground Almonds 1.9g
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder 0.9g
3 Medium Eggs - Beaten 1.0g
50g Butter - Melted 0g
4 Truvia (I use individual Packs) 4.0g
6 (30g) small Strawberries 1.4g
1/4 Tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp Ground Mixed Spice (Equals 1 Tsp) 0.6g
2-5Tbsp Warm Water (depending on thickness of mixture)

Mix all dry ingredients together, whisk eggs and add melted butter, then add dry ingredients and whisk together on low speed, adding water as needed, don't make mixture sloppy as you want it to stay pretty much stiffish.

Place muffin cases into muffin tin and place on digital scales, then spoon mixture into each case, so you can gauge weight of each muffin to keep them all the same.

Push a strawberry into the middle of each muffin.

Spinkle a tiny bit of cinnamon onto each muffin and then sprinkle the contents of 1 Pack of Truvia (1g net carb) between the 6 muffins.

Bake for approx 15-18mins depending on low well cooked you like them.

Cool on a rack and eat - great for mid morning snack or as a breakfast alternative to shakes and fry ups.

Total Net Carbs per recipe - 19.1g / 6 = 3.1g net carbs per muffin (if you make fairy cases instead of muffin cases, divide the number of muffins made by 19.1g)

(This recipe has been made by myself through trawling through tonnes of various low carb recipes.)

Let me know what you think - I have loads of Low Carb muffin recipes and coconut macaroons.​

Hey Sandy T, these sound great! I am dying for a breakfast alternative to shakes/fry ups..thanks! I notice you also mentioned that you make coconut macaroons, I would love to have a recipe! I've bought them from LCMS before, but they're currently out of stock.

B xx

Hey Sandy, I had a go at these - but had to substitute coconut flour for almond flour, which I guess was the kiss of death, as after a day or so they were inedible from the sogginess! Let this be a good warning for anyone who is thinking of trying the same!

B x

Hi
Sorry for late reply - Yeh I've tried all sorts of combos and yep ground almond aka almond flour makes them errrmmm yak - tried that too and failed. I have since found a further combo Ive been putting together on a high protein muffin - will post it above Christmas Cranberry Muffins, coming in at 2.5g net carbs. I make a batch of 6 and keep them in a tupperware tin in the fridge and eat one every morning for a mid morning snack, because they are low Gi as well they keep me going for hours and hours. They are really phase 2/OWL/3 but I have eaten them all the way through induction as I cant do cheese snacks etc.

I will also post macaroons (great afternoon snack).

Hmm interesting! Well I will eagerly await those posts! I'm also being quite flexible with what is included in my carb count. I think I need the variety tbh... and it's fun experimenting :) x

I did Atkins years ago - I was the office 'study' to see if it worked and I remember how bored I was. I started again in September this year, and decided to start off over the first week just halfing all the carbs I ate whilst doubling the lean protein and with doing this I escaped the headaches. I can't do bacon, sausage and eggs for brekkie everyday, it gets to the point I just want to throw up, so now I have Diet Whey Protein shake every morning which I love and is quick, I have that at 7am and it does me until 11am and I warm my muffin up slightly in the mic and have it with a coffee and then lunch I have homemade low carb/high protein Clam & Shrimp Chowder (I can post recipe if required) and this week Ive added Fage 0% Fat Greek Yog and berry Syrup (blueberries/redcurrent/raspberries) blasted in the mic for 1 min and that does me until dinner. I'm still losing weight and my average daily net carbs is between 13-20g. As long as I continue to lose weight I'll continue to experient with meals. I make everything and very rarely eat anything processed/manufacturered as I find my weight sticks or slows down.

I'm the same, I was gagging after three days of bacon, sausages and eggs and also switched to protein shakes as a quick and yummy alternative..although after several months now they're starting to taste a little too sweet. At weekends I have flax pancakes which is a nice change, but I would like to have more feathers in my bow. There's only so many nuts, cheese and cooked breakfast items you can eat!x

Hello sandy, love the sound of the chowder, would you mind posting the recipe please, many thanks :)

Back