TS + Excercise

Random82

Hi all..

has anyone tried following TS diet + going to the gym for 1hour every day, 5 days a week?

does this result in extra weight loss?

thank you in advance people!

random

Hi, not been to the gym but do walk my dog for about half an hour twice a day. I have just started week 2 and am thinking about starting exercise again (workout dvd) but at the moment i have decided to spring clean the house so that is my 'exercise' at the moment. I personally think it would be ok to exercise if you are used to doing i,t but maybe doing a 'lighter' version of what you usually do until your body gets used to such few calories. Good Luck if you decide to start the diet.

I just use my wii fit for half an hour a day or go for a walk along the beach :)

Be careful if you use the gym. Over doing the exercise can make you feel extremely poo..It may put your body into shock mode that stumps or even halts your losses.

It wont increase your losses the way it does on a more conventional diet. I believe someone emailed Exante recently and they advised no exercise for the first 2 weeks til your body gets used to the diet

thank you all for your replies!

much appreciated! i think i'll stick to the wii fit and my hula hoop for now and maybe start the GYM once ive reached my goal weight and want to maintain my weight!

yay!

I've not been going to the gym and probably won't until I get nearer to my goal. I think gentle exercise is fine, but I don't want to slow my weight loss down. I know that some people can go to the gym and it doesn't have an adverse effect on their weight loss, however I know from previous vlcd I don't get the desired effect!!!

For what it's worth....when I did CD my consultant (award winning one at that) and I had a frank discussion and he gave me some good advise about exercise and VLCDs.

If you have always been an active person (and by active I mean working out on regular basis or playing some kind of sport or involved in an activity that takes your heart rate up to around 60 - 85% or more and into fat burning zone)...it's likely you're body is used to burning its fuel from carbs and not fat otherwise you'd not be on a VLCD, trying to lose weight in the first place.

I know I am particularly carb resistant - my body holds on to carbs longer than the average bear because I'm so sporty, which means my losses tend to be slower (something to take into consideration).

You may also be someone who is used to the happy rush you get from exercise, so beware the all time low that comes from ceasing any and all activities.

For me and I say this as someone who is actually an extremely active person despite being overweight, I need to workout or else my mood gets so low it's akin to a form of mild depression. On CD, I was on 4 products a day because I'm so active and on my heavy training days (which were not many because I did lessen the intensity...I ate 4.5 or 5 products....although never bars).

I guess what I mean is, if you're used to training on a regular basis, dial it down A LOT to start with but be honest with yourself...if you're an endorphin junkie NOT training may not work well for you. If anyone told me to stop working out I'd just laugh, it's not worth the dark moods that come with it - but I would never go full out in first 2 weeks, I'd pass out from exhaustion and starvation.

At 600 cals on Exante - if you burn those calories in a workout you'll starve yourself, but take it lightly and have half a shake if you feel light headed etc...and it could prevent stalls, slower weight loss.

Everyone is different, you have to find your own balance.

(sorry turned into a long response :))

That's very interesting EatPrayLove & makes sense if you think about it. I still haven't made up my mind about the amount of exercise to do but will take what you have said on board. Will stick to walking the dog for the first 2 weeks & then see how I feel & what the weight loss results are like.

This is an interesting thread - it is useful knowing what Exante say about exercise.

I used to run regularly, 5km 3 times a week, plus the usual dog walking for about an hour and a half every day which I am still doing. But I haven't run since I broke my leg 9 years ago. I would love to get back to it, but right now I think I would probably injure my knees if I tried to run. Maybe once the weight gets down a couple of stone.... I wonder if it would really be possible? I can't quite imagine that.

For the time being I shall stick with just the dog walking.

Remember any activity is good - even gentle walking or taking dog out is good for the heart and keeps you moving. Considering the average recommendation is 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week (which a terrifying percentage of people do not do), anything to keep yourself active is a bonus.

If your on VLCD take it easy, let your body get used to the calories deficit and switch to ketosis, and start to do something gentle, (gardening, swimming, walking etc...).

If your a gym-a-holic, then you need to either cut back or increase calorie intake - 600 cals plus intense workouts will simply not be enough to feed the body nutritionally or help with repair and regrowth.

Ive just bought zumba 2 for the wii and did 25 minute class last night and tonight , so i will let you know if it changes anything , but i think just doing 25 mins per day isnt gonna speed it up as its only what some class as light exercise although it killed me lol

Back