Turkey and Barley Soup

This is what I did with the leftover turkey:

Measurements are not precise as it all depends what you have left over.

Ingredients:
remains of the turkey
1 carrot
peppercorns

1 large onion
2 large carrots
2 large leeks
1 large potato
frylight
soy sauce
worcester sauce
seasoning
barley

Strip all the meat off the remains of the turkey. Cut into small pieces, discard all the skin and small bones.

Break up the carcass and put into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, add some peppercorns and a large carrot cut into chunks. Simmer for an hour and a half, strain the stock into a bowl and put in a cool place for the fat to rise to the top. When the fat has solidified, skim it off. Discard the boiled carcass, peppercorns and carrot.

Very finely dice the onions and carrots. Spray a frying pan with frylight and cook the onions and carrots over a medium heat until softened and the onions are golden (don't let them burn!). Peel and dice the potato and finely slice the leeks. Put the leeks and potato into a large saucepan, add the onion and carrot mixture, the stock, seasoning and some soy and worcester sauces (a couple of teaspoons of each). Simmer for an hour.

Remove about a third of the soup from the saucepan and put into a bowl. Zap it with a hand blender (or use a food processer). Leave to one side. To the remaining soup add about 25g barley per person. Simmer for about half an hour or until the barley is cooked and soft. Pour the smooth blended part of the soup back into the saucepan, add the diced turkey, stir well, check and adjust the seasoning, and bring back to a simmer - when it is all piping hot, ladle into bowls.

This sounds a bit long-winded, but it is not difficult at all, and the taste and texture are just SO delicious!

what is the syn value of barley???

Is the soup syn free then? sounds yummy

Sorry, I should have said. Pearl Barley is free on Green and Extra Easy, 5 syns for 28g on Original.

So I think the soup would be free on Extra Easy, free plus a HEXB for the turkey on Green, or 5 syns a portion on Original.

(please feel free to correct me if I have got this wrong!)

Back