TV ads

wannabslim

Gold Member
Spent a fair bit of time in front of the TV and have suddenly just realised that most of them are for food/drinks - not even the sort of food/drinks that your body needs, but what I see as "junk" (McDonalds, Dairylea dunkers, Aero).

It just made me think - no wonder we live in an overweight nation when the box is telling us that this is the stuff we should be buying! I think I need to try and keep this in mind when watching tv - I can see it trying to make me subconsciously want the food they're advertising and crave stuff that I wouldn't otherwise want in the slightest!

Am glad I've had this realisation, think it will help me to be more aware of how my mind can be programmed by others - and not just TV, also other people, magazines, shop promotions etc.

WE NEED TO BE AWARE THAT SOMETIMES WHEN WE THINK WE'RE THINKING FOR OURSELVES, ACTUALLY WE COULD BE BEING PROGRAMMED TO THINK HOW COMPANIES WANT US TO!

xxx

l agree totally

I think there should be a ban on advertising junk food like there is on cigarettes!!! The advert that gets to me the most is the Richmond sausages ad - I want them every time I see them.

The only time I have cravings now is when I see something advertised on tv.. Ban them all!! (or I could just stop watching as much tv :eek: )

totally agree WBS - my husband is sick of hearing me say 'oh I could eat that' we are being subconciously programmed by junk food providers!

Yup, I had to turn off the tv last night as it was causing me to "feel hungry" when I really did NOT need that, not when I'm on SS+ and every day is a battle to stay away from the supermarket!

Hi,

Have you noticed that they are advertising Werthers chocolate using words like "comfort"? A lovely old gentleman and a little lad...makes me sick. No wonder we are all screwed up when all this junk is comfort and love and guilty pleasure etc etc. It is a form of abuse really, like years ago when it was cool to smoke and cigarettes were actually advertised as a slimming aid and an appetite suppressant!!!

I really am trying to view all of these ads for what they really are. Just clever uses of words and pictures implying that if you really loved your family you would ply them with chocolate, chips, pizzas, etc etc.

Back